Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > High-score power ballad compo
2012-11-08 11:07
Kristian

High-score power ballad compo

A little thread to keep all releases gathered in one place.

Everyone can join. Just produce the mightiest power ballad high-score tune ever and upload it to the CSDB.

Released so far:

High-score Ballad by Kristian Røstøen
High-Score Ballad by G-Fellow

... 70 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2012-11-22 16:10
onebitman

some oldskool waves for this compo from me: Hiscoretunage
2012-11-24 18:24
la_mettrie

My recent song fits well in this compo so I guess I should post it: Vers de Nouvelles Aventures
2012-11-24 22:58
Dane
Account closed

One more entry from me, Channels, composed in the last few weeks.

I'm really grateful to Ole and Kristian for the splendid idea to do this. This is how you activate the scene.
2012-11-25 00:13
spider-j

So as this compo ends now (at least that's what the csdb time says) I've got to say: great compo-idea!
Was really fun; lots of amazing tunes.

As 'friend of the underdogs' I'd like to share what my personal favs were. Yeah, I know the 'big ones' like 6R6, Dane and Linus can not go wrong anytime. I voted 9 or 10 for all the 'big names' anyway, because I can't deny that they just deliver superb stuff.

But when I look at the tunes I really listened most of the time over and over again then it's like this:

1. Fredrik - Highscore tune 2

Just love those simple poprock chords; don't care for fancy instruments when I hear melodies so lovely. Just love all the toms and that hi-hat snare rythm and that simple melody.

2. Flex - Game Over

I thought this would be my personal No.1 for a long time. Gives me that 'early 90s' feeling that I had when I was a kid. Flex surprised me already this year at X with his tune. His was also my personal favorite from that party. Perhaps he just hits a nerve (for me).

3. Cadaver - Vicory against Tacgnol

I must admit I like guitar based music (rock/metal) anyway. This tune wasn't a real rock-tune, but as always: perfect 'state of the art'. Cadaver has the ability to just do 'standard'-things - but this is to me exactly what I want to hear. All his tunes are great (in my ears) and so is this one.

So 'votes' and 'competition winners' are one thing, but I'd love to read what your personal favorites are/were and why.
2012-11-25 10:04
Dane
Account closed

I'll take you up on that offer, Spider. Mostly because I don't agree on the voting system here (seriously, Scarlet is a 3?) but also because I know how much I appreciate getting feedback on what I've done so I suppose that might be the case for fellow musicians.

Picking a top 3 for tough work, but here you go:

1. Vers de Nouvelles Aventures / Franz Koopa
My favourite out of the tunes that entered the competition. I wish I had composed this myself. Tells a story of happiness and sadness without having to resort to gimmicks to keep me listening. I wouldn't change a single thing.

2. High-score ballad / Kristian
Start writing lyrics and call Morten Harket today. With this you have a shot at doing something about Norway's lousy track record in the Eurovision song contest! No seriously, outstanding tune. I especially like it when the chorus is repeated but raised one octave. It's a cheap trick but those are often the best ones. For this to be my top pick, however, I would have wanted some more action in the arpeggio channel.

3. Sidviken Highscore / Stinsen
A happy tune which allows for some very easy listening. It definitely has TV-theme quailties, and for me that's a good thing since it means accessibility and musicality. My only gripe with the tune is that the instruments sound a bit rough, or at least rougher than I would have liked them.
2012-11-25 11:23
Tim
Account closed

Great idea!

I haven't voted on csdb (will do on all tunes once the compo is over), but definately some mentions I would love to do for one or other reason..

Noise reduction headset on.. lets go:

Quick Score Ballad / Spider Jerusalem
Scores a plus from me because of the opening, not many of the tunes gave me the feeling a game just ended. Love the cheesy tune as well :)

I sail at midnight / Linus
As far of the compo i found "I don't want your money baby" (which I will play full volume speeding on the highway btw!), sailing at midnight scores a plus for me for being non-cheesy and yet still fitting the compo!

Your best effort / Radiantx
Scores a big plus for fitting the "power ballad", I just wish it was just a little bit more cheesier

Hiscoretunage / Zerozillion
Big plus for being the most depressing tune.. yeah great, I get a high score but the damn end-boss killed me and now I will need 6 hours to get there again to even attempt to get further.. I can let this tune loop for 30 mins and get out of bath utterly depressed.. awesome emotion :)

Sidviken / Stinsen
Big plus for being on my mind for several days now reminding me of a mixture of 2 or 3 other sids, by other authors whilst not being the same.. also makes my want to hold up a scarf and wave it along :)

High-Score 2020 by Xiny6581
Big plus for putting a HUGE smile on my face.. this tune is so inviting to re-play a game, to total oposite of Zerozillion's tune and thus also hitting an emotional button I love :)

Highscore tune 2 by Fredrik
Big plus for the toms, but an even bigger plus for the awesome beatles feeling (especially the melody blending around 1:10).. reminds me of TDM's style (for example Elanor Rigby, but this was a direct cover)

Hardsync by Lft
A big plus for overpooring the intro with such incredible cheese, i love it :)

2012-11-25 11:41
CreaMD

What I always liked most about the voting was comments why people like particular tunes and that. Brings different points of view and angles... helps one relisten more carefuly and discover other nuances in the tunes, that he could have missed.
2012-11-25 20:25
redcrab

I would also like the creaMD-style voting, event thou results before x-mas would be preferred ;)
2012-11-26 00:14
CreaMD

;-) you mean ordering from from your most favorite to least favorite? if the orgas will ask me, I can send them XLS with columns to be filled (name of the tune and such) and after import to database we can start the voting. results are calculated on fly (select from database, count votes, order tunes) problem with release of results lies in additional ideas I have.. like jury votes and such that usually give me some overhead work that slows down the release. with this compo such things won't slow down anything, so immediately after the voting stops, the results can be set visible..
2012-11-28 11:35
OMP

That sounds like a good idea - but as it is these next days, I can't spend anymore time on this.

Or will that be a pretty quick process?
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Guests online: 119
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)
4 Edge of Disgrace  (9.6)