Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > peoples numbers / address's
2007-09-24 09:32
chancer

peoples numbers / address's

stop posting peoples FULL address's and phone numbers on here esp in the UK.. if they are the owner of the profile IS the actual person then fair enough, its down to them. not someone else to post em

2 sceners i still know in the UK contacted me, asking me about this place.. their parents still live there, and they were asking for their son in both cases.. the numbers are EX directory, also.. so neither appricated.

apparently some one off here had been ringing up the numbers mentioned on their profiles, if they wanted their numbers posted THEY would do it.

the rough area where they were based is ok, but not the FULL address OR more importantly phone number. People don't have the permission to do it, so why do it?

and r0ugh.. don't blah blah me either in PM about this.. if people want to post up their full address let THEM do it.
2007-09-24 09:40
tlr

I agree.
Try to stick to just the area code, zip code and such.
e.g: The Highlander.
2007-09-24 09:41
Conrad

I qutie agree there, especially those addresses that were recorded from older releases. By then those in particular would of moved house, leaving whoever is trying to call them embarrassed, due to contacting a nobody.

I'm also quite guilty of putting the full addresses on some UK sceners, so I will minimalise the addresses a fair bit - or at least leave the county and country intact.

chancer: did any of them mention who the guy was who tried to contact them ?
2007-09-24 09:48
chancer

nope conrad.. but i got an email from them,one was rather terse, asking me if i had posted their details off here.. He knew I hadn't but wondered who the heck posted the number, as they'd not lived there for 10-15 years, but their parent still did.

I've gone thru a few people I used to know, and made it very general. zip codes are very specific regarding the UK.. so including them isn't so great either, area/town/ country is good enough.

I notice a few things like demos etc, have numbers mentioned in the directory.. I'm removing them before posting just incase now, simply because it seems people can't be trusted to do the right thing.

I'd rather NOT name them, as yer i'm still friends with them, have the scene to thank for that, but for a lot of people I know the c64 was a part of their earlier life, and not their current life.. they swapped that for a wife and kids.hehe
2007-09-24 09:56
tlr

Difficult matter...

I don't approve of manipulating the releases themselves though. That data usually won't show up in google so it shouldn't be that bad.
Otherwise we'd have to take appart every demo and erase numbers in scrollers and such, probably destroying the demos in the process. Not very workable.

Also name/rough address is what made me find many of the links between different handles. Without it the database hadn't been as complete. Just the first name helps a lot.

But as said let's keep it at a minimum.
2007-09-24 10:04
chancer

tlr.. i know what u mean, but so far it's just a few things that say are multi part.. that have contact xyz for swapping at 123-4567... whatever, in the directory listing.

i'm not messing with the demos or whatever themselves as hopefully most numbers are obsolete and it would be a shame to doctor them. hopefully most people are responsible enough not to call numbers, and instead leave them a message on here.

it's common sense, although the scener probably doesn't live there, maybe their parents still do as a lot of people were in their teens when they were doing things.

thankfully TMR made my profile and had the common sense not to include my address etc.
2007-09-24 10:07
tlr

I still think it's a bit of a shame to manipulate it. It's a major part of the culture.

If you really, really feel you have to, I think you should 'X' out the relevant parts, nothing more.
2007-09-24 10:09
Rough
Account closed

although this Chancer guy is going on my nerves with his e-mail crap I agree not to add exact address information anymore, wouldnt like to be bothered by some freako calling me up due to C64 crap from the 80s too.

The idea of removing personal data from the releases themselves is absolutely unrealistic, furthermore anyone who ever published his real address in a public release which is spread world wide has to face the consequences by himself. Noone would be addressed for pirating software anyhow, and parents getting called by phone.. what the fuck? Their son was a pirate in the 80s/90s...harharhar
2007-09-24 10:11
chancer

"Their son was a pirate in the 80s/90s"

actually one was involved in the demo scene, and thats their extent.. shows lack of brains by him.

whats even funnier is r0ugh sent me a stupid little b1tch msg.. and then put me on ignore.lol

rOuGh
Who the f*** are you anyway bothering with your b***s*** about your nerdy friends? never heard of you, dont know you and I'm not interested in you.

ironically he's got the balls to post that to me privately, then put me on ignore and run away like a little pu$$y that he is.. yet seems to like posting peoples full details up, without their permission.

2007-09-24 10:13
tlr

Make a new thread for that if you have to!

We are having a serious and productive discussion about important matters here.

A German "PLK" style address for instance, should anything be stripped from that? (e.g Antares 13)
I always assumed those were anonymous post office boxes.
2007-09-24 10:20
chancer

tlr.. but plk's stopped being used?

it's different in that sense, i mean they just relate to a postbox and not the persons address.

... 31 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
csabanw
Weasel/Padua/Hitmen/..
E$G/hOKUtO fOrcE
CommodoreBlog
Airwolf/F4CG
alwyz/udi