Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > CSDB as a "released at" field?
2011-05-30 22:11
STE'86

CSDB as a "released at" field?

right,

Celtic has asked me to post the following for further discussion on here:

in the same manner as the Compunet entry has been added as a "released at" option, another addition could be made as "CSDB" to denote the modern entries that have been/will be first released directly onto CSDB and not the web/scene/parties/compos. to reflect CSDBs position in the current scene as CNET was in the past.

DISCUSS PLEASE

the admins will make a decision based on the discussion.
i will abstain from the discussion because i raised the question.

Steve

... 23 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2011-05-31 10:46
chatGPZ

compunet as release origin makes sence.... csdb on the other hand not so much.

consequently, since csdb is an archive- and not a release site, we should establish a rule that a release can not be added if it isnt either X weeks old or has already been released on a scene site. then also "released at TDD" makes a little bit of sense.

ie, instead of petting those on the back that abuse csdb as a release site, i'd rather support those that do not (hy sixx =P) and encourage the others to use other means of releasing.

(personally i think that disallowing anything that wasnt atleast transfered through punter once sounds like a damn good idea =P)

although like sander, i see little value in having this info listed to me (and i also cant imagine someone giving a rats ass on updating it).
2011-05-31 11:59
enthusi

I'd welcome a rule that only allows for CSDb entries if they were previously released at a party or antidote :)
2011-05-31 17:26
Stainless Steel

While i dont care much for a "released at csdb" category, i do however think the "must be released someplace else" rule is a load of <insert profanity here>.

I was under the impression "Released at" would be "at an event". Compunet & CSDb hardly qualify as "Events" do they?
2011-05-31 17:33
The Communist

Stainless:

Quoting STE'86
OK i have added "compunet" as an "event" on the "released at" list.

strictly speaking it is closer to a BBS but in order to set a "released at" tag it has to be an event AFAIK.

COMPUNET (CNET)

Steve

from http://csdb.dk/forums/?roomid=5&topicid=85270#85295
2011-05-31 17:37
Stainless Steel

Sure, but still my definition of an event is somewhat different.

Ofcourse i guess in the broadest sense, Compunet could be described as an "Event" in c64 history :-D

For this purpose i'd say something like searchable tagwords would be better suited.
2011-06-01 07:28
Shadow
Account closed

Quote: compunet as release origin makes sence.... csdb on the other hand not so much.

consequently, since csdb is an archive- and not a release site, we should establish a rule that a release can not be added if it isnt either X weeks old or has already been released on a scene site. then also "released at TDD" makes a little bit of sense.

ie, instead of petting those on the back that abuse csdb as a release site, i'd rather support those that do not (hy sixx =P) and encourage the others to use other means of releasing.

(personally i think that disallowing anything that wasnt atleast transfered through punter once sounds like a damn good idea =P)

although like sander, i see little value in having this info listed to me (and i also cant imagine someone giving a rats ass on updating it).

WTF? "Abusing" CSDB as a release site?
If I do some small prod that isn't released at a party or other compo, CSDB is the natural place to release it.
Most of the guys interested in C64 demos stops by here, so of course this is where I upload it!
2011-06-01 08:51
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Ok, my input on this:

After choosing "release type", for example:
"C64 one-file demo"

A list of checkboxes appear, where it was released.
example: "compunet", "party", "bbs"

when choosing party or bbs etc, then a list of those come up.

If you look at the way that nVIDIA has a menu to find your gfx
card drivers, by selecting something, then an additional
list comes up next to it, and one after that, i think this is a good and easy way to do it.
2011-06-01 09:57
Frantic

No matter if one likes it or not, and no matter what the rules say, it is a fact that people have used CSDb as a major release site for ages by now.
2011-06-01 18:41
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Not to completely derail the thread, but this discussion is one of many about functionality in CSDB.

The mods/admin, Perff etc. have limited time to code and redesign, and often the same and the same "do this, or why not ?" discussions pop up.

We have 10 years of CSDB now, and any system has a life cycle, that includes, to be effecttive, that it be redesign, based on the years of experience with it, those learned from that period.

By doing a new design, mainly what functionalities are available, take the 10 years of learned experience, AND moving the whole stuff to implementation in an open source CMS (Joomla, Drupal etc.) - those with initiative and time, could help to maintain, build and improve a CSDB 2.0 in the future.

Doing a rebuilded CSDB, by hand code, requires a dedicated developer, and maintaining after that. If an overhauled CSDB is made in an open source CMS, it becomes easier for everybody. Same way as people make demos on a pc, because crossdev is easier/mor effective, i think its time to move away from systems, that only 1-2 persons know everything about, and are the only ones that can maintain and improve.

My 2 cents :)

If this would happen, i would be glad to spend a lot of time learning to use and master such a CMS.

Remember, even if its a CMS, like Joomla, a php coder, can always do his own code in it. Its not a limitation, its an opportunity to do more things, faster and more "this is not a hack" way.
2011-06-02 08:28
chatGPZ

using joomla would be more like the "this is how to get hacked" way though =)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
E$G/hOKUtO fOrcE
csabanw
grennouille
Guests online: 152
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)