Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Chriszx/UNITRAX ! (Registered 2024-05-26) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > C64 gradually losing sound output, but RF still works?
2020-10-03 12:34
Shadow
Account closed

C64 gradually losing sound output, but RF still works?

My "daily driver" C64, a nice VSP safe C64C started acting up a couple of years ago. Sometimes sound didn't work at all when I powered it on. Powering it on and off sometimes solved the problem. Other times, simply leaving it running for a while made the sound come back. It got worse and worse, and finally I couldn't get any sound at all.
I've read about SID chips dying left and right, so my fears were that this was what had happened.
However, in my very limited electronics understanding, the gradual degradation seemed more like some like a capacitor or other component slowly getting worse and worse.

Today, I dug the machine out again and hooked it up with my S-video+audio cable that I always use - still no sound.
But then I tried hooking the RF up to an old TV, and sound worked immediately!
So SID chip seems to be alive! Could there be any other (capacitor or otherwise) hardware explanation to why sound output via A/V port doesn't work but RF does?

... 10 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2020-10-04 13:48
TWW

Some things you could try:

- measure for shorts in the AV plug itself.
- measure for continuity between the AV plug output pin and the branch point for the audio out signal to ensure the trace is intact. If it's broken solder in a wire to replace the tracing.
- Try to re-solder the A/V plug to the board as sometimes the solder points on the board can come loose (due to mechanical wear of plugging/unplugging the cable or exerted force to the cable itself while plugged).
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Jammer
haschpipan
TFWP
Didi/Laxity
Mason/Unicess
DeeKay/Crest