Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Defilus ! (Registered 2024-10-04) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > disks
2008-03-18 20:46
Tim
Account closed

disks

Gents,

Not to shoulder pet myself on the back too much, but I have taken quite some efforts in time and money to get news disks with old wares and sort them all out to maintain a part of history. Also I’ve noticed some of you are doing it this way.

Not to be offensive, but sometimes I see lots of weird stuff coming into csdb that looks as if someone just dumping a directory of pre-sorted stuff in.

So here’s a question for the guys out there that slam the plastic to the drive.. what’s your best tips on getting new old disks?

Oh .. and of course respect and thanks to all of you xferring out there ;)

... 8 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2008-09-11 13:50
Freddie

Yeah, that's what I thought and that's why I'm uploading stuff in here. But according to this threat I doesn't seem to be "the best way to do it", and that's fine with me.
2008-09-11 17:45
DemongerX
Account closed

Another way is to contact old users group officers from groups that have gone out of business. I've contacted a couple of old users group members, that still had their disk collections stored away. The last one I got 8 boxes of stuff for $20(us). Alot of the times they don't want to throw them away as they've spent many hours in the past collecting them and sorting them, so you can find some great things if you are persistent.

DemongerX
2008-09-11 20:28
Mason

Quote: Yeah, that's what I thought and that's why I'm uploading stuff in here. But according to this threat I doesn't seem to be "the best way to do it", and that's fine with me.

Just when uploading from the archive its also needed to keep focus on all the stuff that changes. Best is to keep a record what people uploaded (as example my achive) and recheck them now and then.

For my situation alot of releases gets updated. This happends because all in the archive is best-known version. Sometimes I (or the ones who mail me with stuff) find extra files or other info that makes the release to get an update.
2008-09-11 20:30
Mason

Quote: Another way is to contact old users group officers from groups that have gone out of business. I've contacted a couple of old users group members, that still had their disk collections stored away. The last one I got 8 boxes of stuff for $20(us). Alot of the times they don't want to throw them away as they've spent many hours in the past collecting them and sorting them, so you can find some great things if you are persistent.

DemongerX

Great news... I hope you take time to transfer them. Especially stuff from the US are missing - clean cracks as I call them. This means finding NEC crack without PAL fixing or import intros.
2008-09-12 02:48
DemongerX
Account closed

Mason, is there a more automated way of transferring disks. I use starcommander with an old laptop, but I wondered if anyone had designed an automated program that would detect the drive door shutting, and extract the disk to a .d64 image, incrementing the name by 1 digit. At worst, you'd have to rename the image file, but it'd go along way towards backing up large disk libraries. I've managed to backup my mail trade disks(d81 files), my 2 sided/multi sided games, demos, etc, but it's taken weeks to do so. Just wondered if any had come up with a more automated process.

thanx,

DemongerX
2008-09-12 05:11
Steppe

AFAIK Star Commander has an option somewhere that does exactly what you want. I haven't used it in years, but search the docs and you'll find it. And be sure to use the latest beta.
2008-09-12 07:13
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Hmm warpcopy can name disks by itself i think..
2008-09-12 07:15
Frantic

Yes... if you just change disks and press the "Next"-button in warpcopy, it will increment the filename and read... About as simple as it gets, I guess. (Well, it is not detecting the drive-door closing by itself.)
2008-09-13 01:35
DemongerX
Account closed

Cool. Thanx for the info. Need to backup by utilities and single/single sided games. I know I have several thousand disks of both to do.

DemongerX
2008-09-14 14:26
Six

There are three imaging stations here.

The one upstairs is a PC with Linux (Ubuntu 8), an XM1541 cable, and a 1541. The software used is opencbm, and I manually set filenames.

The PC based one downstairs is a PC with MSDOS, an XM1541 cable, and a 1571. The software used is star commander, and it automagically increments filenames (and has better error recovery than the d64copy util in opencbm)

The C64 station downstairs has an RR-Net (a Super Snapshot 6 clone cart made by dW/Style that has an integrated RR-Net and micro-sd interface), and I use a modified version of the warpcopy server on it. I usually do singles with this one, naming the images manually.

If I can help out with getting the proper software set up, let me know.
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Guinea_pig/Moonshine
zzarko
Rub_0201
aegis/ascraeus/r3turn
CreaMD/React
REBEL 1/HF