Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Defilus ! (Registered 2024-10-04) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Completing unfinished game previews
2009-01-02 16:35
The Shadow

Completing unfinished game previews

Many excellent games have been created but never completed. Our scene is filled with genius talent. There are enough talented coders, musicians and pixel masters to finish unfinished previews. There are so many previews out there, probably over 1000. The original creators of such games already did the hard part. It would strengthen the scene if a team of sceners got together and completed the many previews there are. I will contribute to this project as well.

... 13 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-01-03 03:48
The Shadow

Oops! My previous post about Dune II preview corrected. I had only loaded it up once before, saw the screen, thought it looked cool and pressed the reset button. A few moments ago, I loaded it up and not needing to examine the code I realized that there is no game there, just two pictures.
2009-01-03 04:13
chatGPZ

Quote:
You can almost surely forget about someone continuing from disassembly :)

hehe, i am working on extending a game aswell. but i can say that working from a disasm is really no fun, and if you arent enjoying reverse-engineering (like i happen to do) then better dont even think about it, it will spare you a lot of frustration :)
2009-01-03 04:28
Soren

@Groepaz: let me guess.. Boulder Dash? ;-)
2009-01-03 05:26
chatGPZ

hell no =P
2009-01-03 14:15
cadaver

I guess it makes sense if there's some unfinished game that creates so strong vibes in you that it's stronger than working on an original project. But I don't know ... a kind of a production-line approach to finish all 1000 would require robots ;)

And yeah, definitely agreed with doynax on the final polishing phase. Maybe a game idea will look theoretically awesome but once you get it mostly done, you notice the original concept doesn't work that well, and there's some major redoing necessary.

(but you'd be surprised how little polishing MW4 got, it was like 1 year of procrastination on the engine, then one summer of level-editing and then enemies/quests quickly added on top ;))
2009-01-03 18:09
The Shadow

Quote: go on then, impress me. =)

Groepaz: Thank you for saying that. A necessary trait to completing games is the enjoyment of reverse engineering. It is also the way that any successful NTSC fixer must be.

Cadaver: The concept is not for a bunch of robots to "mine" into the mountain of 1000 previews but rather as you said about being passionate about specific game previews.

Doynax: The key ingredients to making the last ten percent of a project complete is focus, passion and a fresh infusion of creativity.

iAN CooG: There is a particular game I am interested in finishing. I seek to have a SID created for it. There is a friend who lives near me, who never used a Commodore before. He is a very talented musician who makes fantasy RPG type music on some other type of platforms. He may become a new scener in the future when he learns how to use a SID composer. He already created music on another platform that when converted to 64, would make a fine addition to this beautiful unfinished game.

A project of completing games is a tall order. Plenty of patience is required. The end result will be gratifying.
2009-01-03 20:37
Tao

Quote: Groepaz: Thank you for saying that. A necessary trait to completing games is the enjoyment of reverse engineering. It is also the way that any successful NTSC fixer must be.

Cadaver: The concept is not for a bunch of robots to "mine" into the mountain of 1000 previews but rather as you said about being passionate about specific game previews.

Doynax: The key ingredients to making the last ten percent of a project complete is focus, passion and a fresh infusion of creativity.

iAN CooG: There is a particular game I am interested in finishing. I seek to have a SID created for it. There is a friend who lives near me, who never used a Commodore before. He is a very talented musician who makes fantasy RPG type music on some other type of platforms. He may become a new scener in the future when he learns how to use a SID composer. He already created music on another platform that when converted to 64, would make a fine addition to this beautiful unfinished game.

A project of completing games is a tall order. Plenty of patience is required. The end result will be gratifying.

And if you smack a nice protection on it, I'd be happy to crack it once you're done :)
2009-01-03 20:56
titan_ae
Account closed

i can smell the unfinshed sourcecode of Hawkeye 2 somewhere...

i bet some ppl got promised to have a look at it.
2009-01-04 01:17
The Shadow

Quote: And if you smack a nice protection on it, I'd be happy to crack it once you're done :)

Tao: good idea! I won't put any protections on restored games but you got me thinking of the posts in the forums previously about when TLR made some EOR protections for some files. The files were titled Crack me! and Crack me too!, respectively. I did once protect a multiload game, using some commercial protection program. As I remember, the routine in the main program went to track 36 to check for an error and then resumed to track 18 for the game to load. A very basic system. Perhaps I will append some code to a protection program and try to make something that is difficult to crack.
2009-01-04 01:31
d0c

the c64 needs more games thats for sure, to much one file demo coding going on if you ask me. its much cooler to see demo effects get a function in a game, it gives more meaning and entertainment value. i guess everyone know about gtw, alot of preview of unfinished goodies can be found here...
http://gtw64.retro-net.de/index.php

when it comes to protection on games, i think that is also a good idea, so the crackers get a challenge and competition :)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
krissz
REBEL 1/HF
aegis/ascraeus/r3turn
mutetus/Ald ^ Ons
csabanw
JEZ