Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Defilus ! (Registered 2024-10-04) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > The C64 is offcially more alive than the Amiga
2009-02-13 14:05
madcrow
Account closed

The C64 is offcially more alive than the Amiga

Seriously. I was looking at a certain well-known cross-platform scene website and Of the "big three" demo platforms, C64 is second in terms of number of productions to the PC. Amiga is a distant third. 8 bits forever!
--------------------------------------
please have pity on the n00bish emu kiddie responsible for the post above.

... 13 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-02-14 18:00
madcrow
Account closed

Part of the reason that happened, though, was that there was actual worthwhile add-on hardware in large quantities for Amiga, while that only mass-produced add-on for C64s were REUs, which were really not designed in such a way as to even be useful for AV stuff like games or demos...
--------------------------------------
please have pity on the n00bish emu kiddie responsible for the post above.
2009-02-14 20:14
FATFrost
Account closed

ha.
2009-02-14 20:36
T.M.R
Account closed

There was a game released on the Amiga recently, for some reason it's a version of Robbo but needs AGA... that's a tad weird.

And i'd disagree that REUs can't be used for demos or games, there's a lot of fun to be had trying to scroll the screen from an REU. =-)
2009-02-19 04:37
foody
Account closed

What is with this anti-Amiga thing? Amiga is SPECTACULAR computer/console, it kicks C64 on the butt many ways. It have superior graphics, AWESOME games, great music, easy programming abilities, more advanced than any computers in it's time, have build in OS, plug and play and now we can use it to watch movies, browse the net and chat. I don't see any reason why you all guys are putting down Amiga in name of loving your C64. Don't get me wrong, I love my C64 a lot and I come to the scene here and all C64 but I would never put down Amiga in name of loving C64.
2009-02-19 05:32
Majikeyric

@foody: I agree with you concerning the fabulous machine the amiga is (my A500+ didn't work anymore then I purchased in december two Minimigs (great device!) ). But just admit that the C64 scene is more active than the Amiga one. I realized that when I looked for some cross-plateform development tools, There are nearly none available for Amiga, there are dozens for C64.
2009-02-19 06:45
null
Account closed

Quote: @foody: I agree with you concerning the fabulous machine the amiga is (my A500+ didn't work anymore then I purchased in december two Minimigs (great device!) ). But just admit that the C64 scene is more active than the Amiga one. I realized that when I looked for some cross-plateform development tools, There are nearly none available for Amiga, there are dozens for C64.

that's because (or so I've heard), most amiga coders use UAE anyway...

yes, apparently they code directly on emu, rather on the real thing... which seems a bit odd to me... so I might be wrong.

also, what else would you need except for a texteditor, C(++) skills and a C(++) compiler for 68k?

(well, unless you want to pixel or compose...)

------------------------------------
http://zomgwtfbbq.info
2009-02-19 06:51
foody
Account closed

Quote: @foody: I agree with you concerning the fabulous machine the amiga is (my A500+ didn't work anymore then I purchased in december two Minimigs (great device!) ). But just admit that the C64 scene is more active than the Amiga one. I realized that when I looked for some cross-plateform development tools, There are nearly none available for Amiga, there are dozens for C64.

I do admit that and I am happy that you agree that Amiga is a fabulous machine as well. Personally I love the C64 because it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

relaxing as a computer. After I use modern machine with modern graphics, loud headache musics, in-game speech, Shrek like in-video games and so on, I take a break from all these flashes, musics and sound to relax my brain by turning Commodore 64 and playing no-music, soft-gentle-sound, with relaxing retro 8-bit graphics game and hearing the 1571 disk drive motor working with the nice needle touching the disk causing this awesome satisfactory sound...AAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!

NOTHING CAN BEAT that awesome feeling.

@Knoeki

See Knoeki that is exactly what I mean by saying Amiga is a computer THAT IS EASY to program. It is no different than developing on x86 computer using Visual Studio for example, I will not be surprised that you can make your own Visual Studio and develop using VB.NET, C#.NET, Amiga is such a simple hardware to develop you can easily do that. With C64 you need assembly to do anything serious.
2009-02-19 07:18
Britelite

Quote: that's because (or so I've heard), most amiga coders use UAE anyway...

yes, apparently they code directly on emu, rather on the real thing... which seems a bit odd to me... so I might be wrong.

also, what else would you need except for a texteditor, C(++) skills and a C(++) compiler for 68k?

Ahem, so you're saying that no-one uses Vice or crosscompilers when coding c64-stuff? :)

Some good asm-skills are also very useful when coding demos for the Amiga, pure C just doesn't cut it. But yes, a text-editor and a compiler is pretty much all you need to code for the amiga, just like for the C64...

2009-02-19 07:27
foody
Account closed

Now I have always fantasized for a console like Commodore 64? Couldn't we make what C65 was not possible, possible now? I mean can't we make a new Commodore, say call it Commodore 64II or Commodore 64+ or something, it will be a brand new sexy Commodore case with the same key set for Commodore 64. It will be 100% backward compatible for C64 without the need of typing "GO64" or such it simply loads C64 like say PS 2 does when it plays PS 1 games. This new Commodore will have cartridge slots for cartridge games like N64 games, also serial port for the good old Commodore disk drive for those C64 games. It will have internal DVD player the OS will be AmigaOS 4.x but the OS will be modified to allow you to play C64 games easily in the AmigaDOS shell command.

It will be a brand new console with abilities to make games like modern console...ahh yeah.
2009-02-19 08:26
Majikeyric

Quote: that's because (or so I've heard), most amiga coders use UAE anyway...

Even finding a simple cross-assembler producing amiga exe file is not as simple as that.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
REBEL 1/HF
rambo/Therapy/ Resou..
Røly/Mayday!
fandenvoldsk
aegis/ascraeus/r3turn
csabanw