Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user lotus_skylight ! (Registered 2024-09-25) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > An update on ‘Pixel art in the C64 demoscene’
2024-02-01 16:54
Sander

An update on ‘Pixel art in the C64 demoscene’

Dear fellow sceners,

In response to the comments we received, we’ve made some changes to the document.
Our goal was always to find common ground to maintain the fun and integrity of our hobby.

What this is not:
- It’s not written to limit anyone (only to encourage openness)
- It’s not aimed at specific individuals (it’s a scene wide practice)

Read the document here

We’d really love to hear your thoughts on this update.
Please post them in this thread, be kind and keep it constructive and on-topic please.

... 127 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2024-02-03 02:10
acrouzet

At least we have this document now to encourage people
2024-02-03 02:14
chatGPZ

Quote:
There's a difference between being unreasonably demanding and requesting that everyone do a few simple things to help to create an environment where both the more "serious" artists can thrive and the less "serious" people still have plenty of room to play. Social contracts and all that.

We already established compos have their own rules. We are not discussing that - no one would oppose these need (and actually already have) certain rules to prevent abuse.

We were discussing demos. Random demos with random converted graphics. How does that even matter for those "serious" artists? Do you think someone would suddenly appreciate Duces or Electrics pictures (just to name some whose original work i really admire) less, because i am using a converted gif animation? I don't think so.
2024-02-03 02:21
El Jefe

Quoting chatGPZ
Quote:
We were discussing demos. Random demos with random converted graphics. How does that even matter for those "serious" artists? Do you think someone would suddenly appreciate Duces or Electrics pictures (just to name some whose original work i really admire) less, because i am using a converted gif animation? I don't think so.

If it participates in a demo compo, my personal opinion is that it is not ok either. Graphics in demos are the strongest impression that is conveyed to the audience. Not everyone understands programming and can judge the quality of the code. but everyone will let himself be impressed/guided by the graphics.

El Jefe/sidDivers
2024-02-03 02:26
acrouzet

I think giving credit should be encouraged. Art of all kinds has meaning to at least somebody, even if you don't think it matters. Even outside of compos, I think most artists have some desire to have their efforts be known and appreciated over others
2024-02-03 02:30
chatGPZ

As said before, those who organize compos can always set up the rules they see fit. (Eg Revision always had a "only original content" rule). This isn't about compo. (I wouldn't use anything converted in compo. I even refuse to use anything not made by someone in my group for that matter).
2024-02-03 02:39
acrouzet

Or rather, I should say, most artists have a desire to have their works be judged fairly in accordance with the efforts of others in general, outside of formal competitions. If a work is converted from a source image made by someone else, but people judge the work as if it was done entirely by the converter, that may seem unfair to an artist who's done everything themselves no matter where or how the work is presented. You don't need to have a competition with clear rankings to be affected by peoples' judgements.

Of course, if it's a "shitpost" demo with obvious converts of meme images and such, I can see why all this may be a bit excessive in that context.
2024-02-03 02:50
chatGPZ

To me its pretty clear where to draw the line for that matter - when the gfx is actually attributed to a proper gfx guy, then i expect its "handmade". On the other hand, i wouldn't count the demos using gfx made by Banshee as shitposting memes.
2024-02-03 02:57
acrouzet

Quote: To me its pretty clear where to draw the line for that matter - when the gfx is actually attributed to a proper gfx guy, then i expect its "handmade". On the other hand, i wouldn't count the demos using gfx made by Banshee as shitposting memes.

The line may be in different places for other people. And what counts as a "proper gfx guy", someone well-established in the scene? What does that mean for new artists?
2024-02-03 08:05
4gentE

Quote:
And they even have the nerve to demand from others that they should play by their rules, and stop being their inner child.

Nobody can force you to say hello to your neighbors. Nobody can force you to hold the door for an old lady. Not even parents. Most people do it anyway.
2024-02-03 11:11
Joe

I think the document is alright and points at a more beautiful future, where people, think, use tools to do art and show each other respect and talk about the creative side, shortcomings, land-winnings and helps each other to strive and become a more beautiful being; collectively also as a whole, for the remembrance for future generations. It can only get better from here. To say it in a positive side, as I see the trend is rather negative in what some believe us being "too serious", or "complicated elite-thinking". Bashing each other in wordy competitions and rhetoric gameplay? With really nothing to offer as a difference?

On the contrary. We want to release your inner child: And children, though I don't have any of myself, is rather curious and investigative creatures, which tries to find their own methods (and I'm not going shady here as to their need of love and food), but rather in what life has to offer!

So for you ding-dong guys: Who still have your dark-black views in your ideas about "fun", I leave it up to you. Let us bright people at least have the decency to acknowledge that they are working (me included) for doing something to strive forward, in having fun! But with doing it yourself and leaving the shit behind (A.I., converts, non-discussed references). And as someone pointed out, say hey to your neighbour, this is afterall the neighbourhood...
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
hedning/G★P
MaD ][/Starship
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Airwolf/F4CG
doZe
Alakran_64