Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user lotus_skylight ! (Registered 2024-09-25) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Candyman
2006-11-15 21:35
The Shark-INC
Account closed

Candyman

Hi All,

I was sad to learn today from CSDb that Candyman (aka Dave) has passed away. I thought I would give a little more info about him. Candyman's profile notes that he was a real-life candy man. I do not think he filled vending machines, however. He told me that he owned a candy business where they distributed a box of candy to various businesses and offices. You would then put money in a slot in the box and take candy on an honor system. This is common in the USA, although vending machines are common as well. He told me that if ever he was ripped off, he simply would no longer bring candy to that office. I imagine he had a partnership with the secretaries as well to watch over his candy and money.

Dave was pioneer too. He started what I believe was the first USA scene magazine named Influx and then later used his wealth to order originals with overnight mail to get a leg up on the competition. This worked extremely well on the PC scene with his newly formed group The Humble Guys (THG) and had some light USA crack success on the C64 with FBR and Intense. His sense of humor regarding his "local lamers" was legendary, and could also be seen how he ran THG. He proudly treated his locals like peasants, but allowed them to work their way up in rank if they proved themselves. Ironically, his locals loved this kind of treatment, but this was in part because Dave would reward them by "slowly feeding them" releases now and then.

Here's a picture of Candyman... RIP, Dave...

The Shark

PS – In the back of my mind, with his sense of humor, I wonder if Candyman is still alive and just pulled a fast one on us. I guess I don't want to believe he is dead.

... 23 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2006-11-17 20:52
Matt

@OEP & The Shark-INC: I got that wrong then. I thought you'd come up with a funny story but it's pretty sad yeah.
more sad ofcourse is the loss of C-man. rip.
2006-11-22 07:44
The Shark-INC
Account closed

With this recent news of Candyman, I dug up an old issue of Influx and posted it here on CSDb. It is the July 1989 issue (Influx #2).

Also, I wrote earlier that Oahawhool moved to Missouri when it probably was Tennessee. I confused Candyman's place of death with his former residence.

-The Shark
2006-12-13 19:01
Morrissey (moRR)
Account closed

IF this is true indeed, man, I'd like to pay some respect. Wow, Candyman, may you be in 64 heaven!

Interesting story Shark, Im sure I was aware of some of this drama back in the day. But it's so hard to remember much nowadays...

Thanks for the heads up on this sad bit o'news...

moRR/Lords/FBR
2006-12-16 06:24
Jon
Account closed

Out of curiosity... Is THIS Oahawhool?

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofil..

Just asking to reconcile the "scene" in my own head. :)

-Ninj
2006-12-16 11:06
dalezy

Quote: Out of curiosity... Is THIS Oahawhool?

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofil..

Just asking to reconcile the "scene" in my own head. :)

-Ninj

Last Login: 12/15/2006
2006-12-17 23:59
The Shark-INC
Account closed

Yes, that is him.
2007-04-05 16:03
The Bandit
Account closed

The only thing that makes all of this hard to swallow is, I hear a lot of stories about this guy. Too many stories in fact. Don't base everything on what you hear. Candyman is a wiley creature. From my sources. http://www.tocquevillian.com/articles/0135.html Supposedly, he is living in Russia. I hear that he's living in Watertown, TN and was found dead in his front yard face down. Alot of these stories are assumed. If you are going to spread rumor, At least in your posts specify that it may be a rumor, or you had heard through the grapevine.
2007-04-05 23:11
The Bandit
Account closed

Shark,
Even though I don't know the validity of your statements to be true about Oahawhool. I know Oaha personally and have known him for quite some time. The "Pure Evil" that you speak about him I think could be construed as libelious. I would say change your wording around a bit. I seem to remember you from back in the day. My memory is a bit weak but the friends in the scene back then around Tennessee I had were pretty tight. I never joined any groups and I was at Candyman's house just about every day during the summer of '86, coding his BBS and just overall hanging out over there. Candyman is a cool cat. I miss that guy a lot. If I had an Idea, he let me roll with it and they always worked. I never affiliated myself with Candyman or his group and there was always that understanding between us.

Again, on the OP you made earlier, the "Death of Candyman" seems like speculation at the moment, until you can aquire some sort of proof.. Just saying someone is dead doesn't make it so. Who did you hear it from or where did you get that information from.
2007-04-05 23:38
Jon
Account closed

The FBR (under Oahawhool) / INC feud is well known and well documented here and on various other websites. Since your entry page says that you left the C64 scene prior to this feud (1 January 1987), perhaps you could google up some history on it.

If you wish to contact Oahawhool and introduce him to the discussion, he has a MySpace page under--- you guessed it-- Oahawhool.

Ninjasbane
2007-04-06 00:46
The Bandit
Account closed

Ninjabane,
Considering this is a one sided discussion and since Oahawhool is not present (yet, he's been informed), I don't think that's quite appropriate. I'm usually not the type for spreading drama or rumors but Shark is rather well known for stirring a few kettles in his hey-day. It would be nice to take the obvious and "market" it in such a way that libelious and slaunderous statements, esp. when such people are not present to defend themselves, be put on hold.

In other words, time to grow up. Oaha might be here, and then again, he might not be. I've known Oaha for a looooong time. Before he ran FBR. I am still in excellent contact with him and a few others back in the day. I never left the scene, quite the contrary. I've always been in it. Again, I was never branded to a group and was more or less a renegade. Groups (gangs) never appealed to me. Tight friendships do however appeal to me and those friendships that were tight back then are still tight to this day. Pretty remarkable.

I've already talked to Oaha about this and he seems to think Shark is still a little toasty about a certain incident which me thinks made Shark a little smarter. Don't hate tha playa... hate the game...
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
psenough
CA$H/TRiAD
insane/Rabenauge
Guests online: 137
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)