Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Compos at Revision easter party (2011) - comments
2011-04-23 16:02
CreaMD

Compos at Revision easter party (2011) - comments

Just listened to the compo (on stream) and decided to share my notes.

EXECUTABLE MUSIC COMPO - review

1. hydra/dalezy/triad (c64) music concetrating more on sound than on some (catchy) melody
6 pts

...2. In a hall/Oerg866 (Genesis / MegaDrive) - simplistic melody, boring uninvetine drum-patterns, generally unimpressive sound
5 pts

3. Easterbirdie / Gasmay/AY Raiders (Speccy) - king of melodic stuff strikes back. pity those AY percussions are so splashy. I would appreciate the version of the music without them. And why it ended so quick... ;-(
6 pts

4. Starubg at the Sea Ultrasyd/Brainstorm ^Nectarine & Shadow - Atari ST(e) - cool kicker sound... cool hihat... but repetitive simplistic kick-snare rythm , boring tune.. uninspired melody. and I wonder why they are playing it for so long.. hm ;-))
5 pts

5. Ode to UltrahackerGandalf / fegolhuzz/databrothers Atari ST(e)- positive side, it sounds like chiptune with all those arpeggios. And it is happy. But it's nothing special. ;-)
4 pts

6. I even did my hay for you./Novel/MdS (Protracker) - groovy rock and roll stuff ;-) nothing that would catch my heart, though.
4 pts

7. New Ghost In Town / JazzCat / Ghosttown (68kb something) - sounds best from the tunes already playing, alternates cooler parts with weaker ones. I like the intense part running in background sometimes. best tune in the compo so far.
7 pts

8. Valerio / fieserWolf / Metalwotze (Old Sid) - hm.. ;-/ would play well in some arcade game, but don't know it if is good for Music compo. Still interesting change after some part of the tune.. and then back to the former style. Still it is not that bad. I think it might be my 2nd place. They play it for quite long. It sounds more than 3 min.. well.. Nice piano like think in about two channels.
6 pts

9. reSTEP! / spiked-maniac / Edge of PAnic (Goattracker 8580) - what can I say... never heard of spiked maniac before.. pretty basic sound stuff... like sound effects from seuck. Argh..
3 pts

10. Strange Attraction / Henne / The Dreams (gt 2.70 New Sid) - hm... not bad. it has some atmosphere. and cool sound scheme. Although the improvised melodies around cute drum background are nothing special. Henne needs to be unleashed.. this is too civilised ;-)) All in all, nteresting! ;-)
7 pts

11. Peacemaker Boogie / Response / Darklite - now.. what plattform is this? Sounds almost like C64 played from sidplay... ;-) And it has some of the C64 trademarked interchannel sound effects.. so it must be C64. Ok, case solved. Now do I like it? Well.. it sounds kinda like demo from FE Soundeditor (Soedetracker). which featured something that sounded like Matt Gray. Quite nice concluding arranges..
7 pts

And that is the end. Somehow can't decide which is my favourite.
2011-04-23 17:10
CreaMD

VIDEO/ANIMATION compo

2. Watching second video/animation ... a bit misplaced in the party compo. Imho. 1. First one was also not very interesting. Hm...please impress me! ;-)

btw. if anyone doesn't get what I'm talking about, the stream is here: http://rvtv.revision-party.net/popup?s=mainhall

3. Third video, how to build a photonebanner, cool.

4. a bit boring videoclip.. kinda hip hoppish something sung in german.

5. I wonder why that caleidoscope thing in grayscale time to techno music didn't appear in some 64kb intro compo instead. Megabytes wasted.

6. same goes for production number 6... "Where are they.."

7. we made them watch us.. mirrored, running backwards... shades of yellow/brown , subtle music... hrmpfz..

8. Raum/Zeit ah finally something heavy! Mandelbrot fractals on stereoids.Awesome. Reminds me a bit of Resque on Fractalus and Eidolon ;-) And it had awesome music.

9. "The Lacquerer", another heavy stuff by Cosmic/Hiher Lyrics. Worth watching.

My rank:

1. 8. Raum Zeit
2. 9. The Lacquerer
3. 3. Building a photonebanner...

Check it out when it is out. Especially the first one ;-)

2011-04-23 21:54
bepp

Thanks for the report! Keep the updates coming! :)
2011-04-24 01:47
CreaMD

I wish I could, but I was away in town ... just returned home. Missed C64 demo compo completely ;-)
2011-04-24 08:22
Shadow
Account closed

Nothing much to see at the c64 demo compo - it wasn't even a C64 demo compo, instead they did it as an "8 bit commodore compo" with two C64 entries and one Plus4 demo. The only thing worth watching was the Plus4 demo which was really good.

It seems like the C64 sceners have abandoned the large parties completely, I mean there was a ton of more stuff released at the small C64 meetings then there was at Revision.
2011-04-24 10:38
CreaMD

Shadow: Interesting. So E.g. in Slovakia, the categories for C64 ended with Demobit 1998. Demobit is no more. Ended in 2001 with under/around 100 people present, if I remember right. Forever has 12 years of steady organising, it has always around 90-100 visitors and this year we had 3 demos for the compo, which felt quite good. In Germany the organisers (more or less ;-) respect the tradition and keep C64 compos, and it seems even that doesn't help to get C64 sceners motivated to do productions and release there. From that perspective it seems that C64 scene is dead. Again! ;-)) Let's see what 4k categories will bring.

I would like to discuss this big parties, small parties topic later. If anyone is interested.

2011-04-24 11:11
Shadow
Account closed

CreaMD: It seems to go up and down, last year at Breakpoint the C64 compo was good, a few nice demos and one GREAT demo (Snapshot/Glance).
Still it seems like the C64 still has such great dedicated parties (X/BFP/LCP/Datastorm etc.) that most 'big' demos are released on those instead of at the big multiplatform parties.

Nice in one way that we have such a strong scene, but on the other hand it would be nice if there was a presence at the larger parties as well.
2011-04-24 20:30
CreaMD

What kind of idiot will make DOS attack at server streaming video from the party. And especially around the time when the most interesting compos are running. ;-/
2011-04-24 21:00
CreaMD

Rich on math, but quite boring 64k PC intro just ended.

Coming up, Oldskool 4k intro. If I get it right it's going to be something 8bit related.

1. Block'n'Roll by Misfit / Wow (c64)
char block drawn animations revision logo animated.. other anims in blocks.. cycled... nice idea and execution, but nothing extraordinaire.

2. Beam Racer by Jac!/WUDSN (atari vcs)
boring raster bars demo .. nothing extra.. maybe just the runtime is impressive ;-)

3. Bullshit by BooZombies (Amiga 500) I wonder who can put C64 and maiga 500 to same 4k compeition..
but well.. the intro sucked (featuring chunky mode drawn bull ... well.. look at the name of the demo and guess for yourself how it ends...

4. Another C64 intro.. didn't catch the name. Starfield in multiple directions and another dots based effects.. quite cute, but I wonder if it is seen on big screen.. Nice runtime and impressive ammount of various effects crammed into 4k! It even has endisng. Dots / DaCapo

the best one so far.

5. Another amiga 500 4k. Some plazma effect.. and twister... and some other twisting something... and then rotating 3d logo .. rotating around well.. x axis? dunno.. and quite low quality chiptune.. Fourskin / RNO

6. Bitbanger.. by LFT... demo running on custom hadware.. (which is interesting)
looks noisy and weird.. and noisier and weirder.. and .. music is quite nice though.

7. Spring onion by Neural and REbels (amiga 500)
... abd here comes plazma.. and some kind of tunnel effect.. and plasma.. and tunnel.. btw. it looks a bit like C64 chunky mode with more colors.

the end...

#1 DOTS! (I'm glad it was C64 ... although I doubt it has chance to win.. the effects weren't suitbale for big screen.

#2 Bitbanger - it was boring like hell.. but that factor of own hardware and continuous worsening of the displayed stuff a sound was quite interesting.

#3 Block'n'Roll .. was cute, although it wasn't techincally very special.
#3 optionally... Fourskin / RNO the best 4k Amiga 500 stuff that was shown in the compo.
2011-04-24 22:56
CreaMD

PC 64k compo, Amiga demo compo, PC Demo Compo... didn't see / hear anything special or extraordinaire this year.

The demo by.. don't remember the group... starting with "red" or "blue" pill dilemma, based around theme of medical mystery was quite cute... also that french (?) demo with "Massive" sountrack was quite cute.. but still nothing mindblowing. ;-)

Even Farbrausch was imho not very polished..(and that diskette misile at the end.. well.. I don't know..) ...Noice's Sommerwille... well.. it was interesting, but I somehow didn't like that when they started greetings part, the wings animation of flying birds (?) stopped.. or that "thing" that was crawling from the brick street on the wall of the house and then roof.. I somehow didn't find it appropriate.. ... I liked how the "bricks" were randomly placed on the street like in real life.. it was cute.. and I also like the beginning atmosphere of the "new year's" celebration ..
goodnight.
2011-04-24 22:59
Shadow
Account closed

CreaMD: Somerville was by Nuance, not Noice.... ;)

I was a bit underwhelmed by the compos as well.
Amiga demo was good though.

... 6 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Rock/Finnish Gold
A3/AFL
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Guests online: 111
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)