Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Café Gheymaid (Café/Bar)
2007-11-05 16:12
Intensity
Account closed

Café Gheymaid (Café/Bar)

Hello to everyone!

I am planning to open a Café/Bar called "Gheymaid (Inc.)" - no joke! :D

But i need ideas.

Gheymaid Inc. is about C64, Coffee, Beer, Gheys, Twinks, Love, Retro Style and Ambient/Elektroclash/House Music. (Of course it should not be a Gay-Bar, but well something with a female happy touch maybe ROTFL :D) We have now a PC section, beside the C64 one, and soon maybe an Amiga section by the way, everyone is working on the trackmo that will be released at x2008, god willing (The music collection is planned for Spring 2008).

Anyways, how would you imagine a Café/Bar in Retro Style supporting terms like C64, Coffee, Beer, Gheys, Twinks, Love, Retro Style and Ambient/Elektroclash/House Music etc.?

Do you think such a café would be successfull, will it have any visitors? What has the bar to contain, how should I style it to have much visitors in your opinion?

Where would you place it? Rather in the inner city? How large it should be?

How could I implement SID and C64 and the movie Coffee & Cigarettes by Jim Jarmusch, or at least topic-similar elements into the café? First I thought about Chillout/Ambient/House, at least calming and café/bar-enganged SIDs and scene-music to be played.

Please give me every idea you have for maybe the first Commodore-Styled Café/Bar ever! :D

Last and important question: Would anyone around Frankfurt/Mainz/Hessen/Rhein-Main-Gebiet in Germany support me with this? Most Gheymaid members live outside germany, thats why i ask, otherwise i would have got help from *them*.

So shoot please and thanks in advance.

If ever, the café&bar will be opened in Frankfurt, Mainz Wiesbaden, while I would prefer Wiesbaden as it is my home city or Frankfurt am Main as it's a popular big city (maybe i could arrange something in the airport)

Love,

Arman

... 29 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2007-11-06 16:05
hollowman

dubmood/razor along with some other had an internet café in Gothenburg with cows and other nice paintings. But from what I've heard they got tired of working all the time without getting much out of it.

2007-11-06 16:12
WVL

cow painting rules! :D

That would be soooo cool to have :)
2007-11-06 16:45
macx

Quote: Thanks a lot for your kind and neat hints guys, please go on with it, i need more.

@sander : Well, surely i am building on sand castles as i have no clue about opening a café. But since i am a regular visitor of such etablissements and can think about gheymaid inc. café as a freaky students café, it might be a cool idea. How do all the other café-owners do it? They work, they collect money and there you go. The thing is just that i have my only financial root is a label contract and some help from the state. But i am sure that after starting to work i can collect enough money in some years to open such a buisness.

I have to ask also in other forums, but the idea of retro/gaming etc. is nice.

I have read once in a magazine about a café somewhere with a seprate room full of arcade game boxes.

Let's see.

Until then shoot some onions, ehh opinions please :D

No. Your audience is NOT students, but rather people in their 30s.
2007-11-06 22:38
Oswald

btw dont forget to install flashy touch sensitive tables :D
2007-11-07 00:29
chancer

years ago when i was in my teens there was a chip shop... had 5 arcade machines.. the food was awful, I think he made the money from the arcade machines.. Times have changed, too many net cafe's etc.. mame etc.

someone already said about the late 20's + market.. as most people, well are into pc , call of duty etc and going around calling each other "noob" etc.. u know the sorta people. Some people want to play games, and thats their extent to computing, not even watching demos.

resturants / food business is a tricky one ,a lot go out of business within their first year.Locally where I am in London, every second shop is a take away or an estate agent. It's not so good in that respect.

As for the smoking ban, well places here have beer gardens etc or people go outside.

I think if you did themed nights, not specifically c64 some of the time.. more general 8 / 16 bit and consoles etc. even have gaming competitions on old school games. say maybe once a week or month, on the most boring night of the week, say mid week..

tap into the whole retro thing, but well do it as say themed nights and a more low key side of it in the day.

where food places make real money is booze, the mark up on it is crazy, but booze is better money. Food also, thats why so many chinese/indian people do that, a lot of the dishs cost nothing to make, but mark up is like 70-80% on them. In indian resturants, they offer 120 different dishes.. BUT they originate from only 6 different sauces , but with variations..

or better still get Jeff to make some pizza's ;-)

It's not the best area to go into, and location is key to where you set up =)
2007-11-07 01:35
Conrad

I'm mainly curious what age group this kind of cafe will attract the most. Like chancer said, most young people of today (not all but a high ratio) are brought up only on games and never consider what a demo is, whether 8-bit or not. I sometimes feel a bit lonely because all my friends of the same agegroup were brought up on Gameboys and Megadrives - which later instinctly turned them into WOW/CS/UT/"whatever the fuck game will come out next.." gamers for life - I would feel like an idiot if I mention "demo" or even "Commodore 64" to them.

This idea of yours Arman, may probably be ONE of the main keys for keeping the 8-bit scene alive for a lot of years to come, if you really mean it that is.
2007-11-07 04:45
Intensity
Account closed

Well, a catcher for the café would be the so called "Gheymaid Flavour" I offer very often in the IRC.

Under Gheymaid Flavour I understand Siroups, MIlk Liquids Powders etc. from Coffee Mate, Monin and others. Some are american and make your coffee or tea taste very freaky.

In all, I would serve very freaky and colourful drinks for the audience, beside that there is also regular drinks available of course. Siroups for coffee is nothing new, but COFFEE MATE and other american stuff not available here in germany, weeeee. :)

Either I thought about an internet-café, that would be more realistic, or a true café, maybe to combine both, if thats not again one of my frigging ideas.

There are lotsa internet cafés around, most ppl have internet at home already, so no need, i think i will cut that idea.

You still know Back To The Future Part II, when Marty McFly went in 2015 in that 80's café? :D

Something like this, just cooooler :D

Well, I have to be realistic about all that. And think over.
2007-11-07 04:53
Intensity
Account closed

BTW, with a retro/demoscene/gaming café/gheymaid flavour etc. i will rather attract the younger persons from 15-25 or older persons who are still interested in such shite.

The problem is, that macx is right, the most ppl visiting such a café are around 30, because they have money and are mostly out of their club-visiting timedecade and wanna both go out and rest.
2007-11-07 09:09
HCL

Me + whife have our favourite café we hang out on every now and then. I remember many times i get inspired by the music they play, which makes me think of demos. It's kinda annoying at the same time, cause I just want to leave right away and start coding! But i can't.. Should really go there with my laptop some day and freakout with vice+etc, but you know.. it never happens :(.

I would love such a freaky café that you're talking about, but i'm not sure there are enough loonies like me to make it profitable.
2007-11-07 09:53
enthusi

Hm...
Living in a main city (hamburg) I was used to going to cafe houses. However there are quite many of those there nowadays. All copies of Starbuck's & Co.
The very main reasons for me NOT going there are:
freakin expensive. As a normal person you can hardly afford to drink a relaxing coffee on a regular basis. That leads to the 2nd reason: mostly stupid snobs there :)

I think a cafe would be something NEW if it were really 'cheap'. Downside: you want to make money or at least not lose all yours I suppose. So maybe have some sort of do-it-yourself-attitude in your etablishment.
There would still be potentially high rent to pay though. But less need for expensice coffee-machines or personal.

Just my idea. GOOD LUCK
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Exploding Fi../Techn..
theK/ATL
Guests online: 120
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)
2 13:37  (9.7)