Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #122077 : Pixcen
2013-10-12 22:51
CRT

Release id #122077 : Pixcen

Hi all!

I'm opening this forum for Pixcen. Please post your feature requests and bug reports here if possible to keep the comment section clean(er).

As of this weekend (2013/10/12) I have hopefully fixed a crash (as reported by Dr.Science & Bamse), changed some menu items and implemented mirror/flip, shift and rotate on selected areas. To be uploaded.

... 134 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2013-10-24 06:45
Oswald

Quote: I would really love it if there was a replace color-function, so one could try out different color combinations even after something was painted. Maybe even make it selectable, mark a certain area and the color changes would only affect the selected area.

copy your picture to PS (or any other modern painprog), set selection, replace colors, when done use your fav. converter to go back to c64 format. done.

supporting animations, or variable picture sizes is more important imho. these two were never done afaik correctly.

another important feature would be allowing the user to swap around the multicolor bitpairs used inside a char, or even let him force bitmask to be used, fix colors to bitmask if needed. these are often needed for gfx optimized for effects, fex. if you want to draw gfx on 4x4x16 mode, or whatever.

finally, a function to optimize the picture for packing, keep color nibbles in color / screen ram consistently used in lo/hi nibbles for better RLE runs.
2013-10-25 00:29
CRT

Thanks for your requests and support!

There is already a lacking lock feature in the cell window. The cell windows represents the masks used. It's possible to select an area (or the whole picture) and change the color for a specific mask. However this is useless for an existing bitmap if you have no control of what masks are used for what color, it will just ruin the image. I intend to add some re-mask tools for this, perhaps something simple like moving the colors in the cell window. Also a recolor tool as grasstust asks for.

As a first step I'm extending the cell window with separate locks for each mask so it will be possible to paint with fixed colors in chosen masks.

Current char mode (found bugs in it btw) and unreleased sprite mode is 3+1 color only. I'm adding color RAM support for all modes that can support it. Classic 3+1 color char mode will be available by simply filling color RAM and locking the mask or as a preset from the New window. This also opens up for a future mixed single/multi-color char mode.

Optimizing bitmaps, I've been thinking of exactly the same things. There is (of course :-) already an Optimize option under tools. It's a simple export to RGB and import back -hack. In the process, invisible masks or colors are cleaned up, usually it shortens the crunched data. But, I think it can do more by sorting the colors better an an RLE friendly manner as you suggested. I just have to improve on the RGB import code.

This is what I have done since last release:
-Fixed memory leak
-Fixed refresh bug after copy ROM font.
-First draft of sprite mode.
-64 bit build is now possible after cleaning up integers.
-Masked paste and better window drawing of paste.
-Back buffers (animation).
-Added backspace-key to delete area (was only delete-key before).

This is what I want to finish before next release.
-Unify a lot of duplicated code (already started).
-Color RAM for char and sprite mode (individual sprite color).
-Individual mask locking.
-Replace/Ignore option on color overflow.

There will probably be some more requests thrown in.
2013-11-03 22:06
CRT

I realize the next update is growing too much so I decided to give you a link to the current development version. Perhaps you can spot stuff I broke.

This is an unofficial update for now. Your current Pixcen will not ask to update to this version. You have to replace the executable by hand.

http://censordesign.com/pixcen/Pixcen_unstable20131103.zip

I have done a lot of work on the file formats, the GPX format is updated but Pixcen should import older GPX files without problems. Keep a backup of your current artwork just in case this new Pixcen would corrupt any file at load or save.

Sprite mode:
This is highly experimental, I wouldn't trust it but feel free to play with it.

Back buffers:
When creating a new image, font, sprite you can select the number of back buffers. In the editor you can switch between images with period and comma ( . , ). Note that if you save a koala image, only the currently visible image will be saved. Save as GPX to save all your back buffers. If you want to load multiple images into back buffers, the only ways are either GPX or copy and paste.

Masked paste:
Masked paste is invoked from the Edit menu or by pressing CTRL+Shift+V. The currently selected secondary color (right click on the palette) will work as a mask.

Backspace:
-as well as delete will fill selected area with currently selected secondary color.

File formats:
More native C64 file formats added: Advanced Art Studio, Cenimate, Doodle, Doodle compressed and Koala compressed.

Other changes:
There are loads of invisible changes, code cleanup, 64 bit compatibility, new zLib, code restructuring and other work in progress included in this version. Stay alert of bugs.
2013-11-04 08:51
Shine

What about chooseable background color while saving as prg?
2013-11-04 13:27
CRT

Shine:
Background is saved but I assume you mean border color?

The border color is going to get its own icon in the cell window. I will also change the pseudo light blue border in the editor window to use the selected border color.

Currently when saving a prg, a border color is guessed (the most common color of the edges). It might not work out for every situation.
2013-11-04 13:31
Shine

Yes, i ment border color :) sry
2013-11-04 18:09
CRT

The unstable version I posted yesterday. -It's really unstable! Do not try to use it for anything serious.
2013-11-05 22:51
grasstust

Two things:
- When loading a pic and immediately loading another pic it still wants to save changes.
- It would be great if the program window would display the filename of the pic open.

Great work!
2013-11-27 02:51
CRT

New official version (still pre-beta) is uploaded.

Revision 4458
-4th color overflow options: Ignore, Replace or Closest. (Ctrl+W works like in P1)
-Fixed memory leak
-Fixed refresh bug after copy ROM font.
-Sprite mode.
-Char mode bug fixes.
-64 bit build is now possible after cleaning up integers.
-Masked paste and better window drawing of paste (Ctrl+Shift+V).
-Back buffers (animation) added, change buffers with comma and period.
-Added backspace-key to delete area (was only delete-key before).
-GPX format updated with meta-data tags and more space for future extensions.
-Aligned buffers for better SSE performance and future optimizations.
-Bitmap import reworked.
-Automatic native C64 file format identification. File extensions are not needed.
-Support for Advanced Art Studio, Doodle, Doodle compressed, Koala compressed, Cenimate, Paint Magic (crippled $d800).
-Cell window reworked: Individual colors can be locked or crippled. Example: It's possible to paint with $d800 crippled to one color.
-Screen + char generation will try to put the empty char at index $20 for convenience.
-Horizontal and Vertical flips are flipped..after some complaints ;-).
-Support for border color when exporting C64 executable (Check in Cell window).
-Thread issue in char mode fixed.
-Color RAM for char and sprite mode added (color RAM for sprite is individual sprite color).

And loads of more changes. This was a large update for me personally as I changed and cleaned up a lot of core code. Hopefully these changes are transparent or just make Pixcen a bit better for you. The next update will not be as heavy, it will come sooner and focus more on the features you have been requesting.

How do you guys feel the drawing/bitmap refresh performance is? On my laptop and desktop Pixcen is lighting fast. At my work where I have a fast monster PC it's surprisingly sluggish. I think it has to do with graphics cards/drivers. I suspect some video drivers don't bother accelerating windows GDI. I'm considering changing the main view to DirectX. Let me know..
2013-11-27 08:35
Shine

This update is so great! Thanks!!! :)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | ... | 15 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
cba
Black/Angels
Fred/Channel 4
Menace/Spaceballs
zscs
Steveboy