Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #122077 : Pixcen
2013-10-12 22:51
CRT

Release id #122077 : Pixcen

Hi all!

I'm opening this forum for Pixcen. Please post your feature requests and bug reports here if possible to keep the comment section clean(er).

As of this weekend (2013/10/12) I have hopefully fixed a crash (as reported by Dr.Science & Bamse), changed some menu items and implemented mirror/flip, shift and rotate on selected areas. To be uploaded.

... 134 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2013-11-27 09:24
Oswald

what a monstre update, ammazing you have support for even chars / sprites.

the drawing performance is horrible here (v0.5), cant update the exe, because of company firewall.
2013-11-27 16:36
CRT

Thanks for the input Oswald.

Multicolor character mode is a pixel-editor-programmers nightmare due to the color restrictions on mask 11. When placing a pixel it’s sometimes reverting to a bitmap wide scan for possible remapping of masks. However, with the new lock per mask feature (right click on color in cell window and select the “no parking sign” :-) this is avoided. I imagine one would like to lock the two global colors ($d022, $d023) pretty early on in a painting session anyway.

I already found and fixed a crash affecting all single color modes so there will be a minor update for that in some hours.

Regarding the window refresh performance. I’m going to try back buffering GDI with a memory device context and blitting before reverting to DirectX. I suspect that with some video cards, the driver lets GDI paint directly over the bus with the CPU and that’s horribly slow if the resolution is high.
2013-11-27 22:22
user

Wow, what a huge update. Thanks for this fine tool CRT! I used it primary to convert images (with correct restrictions)i made with ProMotion. Could you make it possible to set the locked $D021/2/3 values for Multicolor Charset before importing an image? Another nice thing would be mixed mode support of HiRes/MC Charset in one picture.

And how can i save the coloram from char images? My solution so far is ripping it from the viewer prg.
2013-11-27 22:34
CRT

USER: I completely forgot saving color RAM. I will add that overnight. Also soon, there will be new load options to make it possible to load bitmaps, color, etc. to the current project without wiping it. At that point you will be able to pre-set and lock individual colors before importing. If you convert from true-color I recommend Project One, it got some more advanced formulas for converting. Mixed single/multi-color char mode is planned. I will most likely also throw in the pretty useless ECM mode but I’m sure someone will want it sooner or later.
2013-11-28 13:18
grasstust

I updated today 28.11, and pixcen now refuses to load anything, or rather the loaded content is just a blur.
2013-11-28 14:01
CRT

grasstust: Sorry about that, I made a few fixes and then panic fixes to fix the fixes :-) Very active development. Just uploaded a version that can load again.
2013-11-28 16:01
Magnar

CRT, why not just add a better true color convert formula to your pixcen, and we can all forget about Project One for good? I would love it as the only thing I actually use Project One for right now is converts :)

And - there are even quite buggy converts in Project One. For example, I saved a bitmap file once and wanted to convert it back to koala, and the colors just got so wrong... It should have been able to identify it 100% match, since it was a koala from start off before saved as bitmap...

Not fun sit redraw things with "Paint" in one window and Pixcen in the other.
2013-11-28 16:27
grasstust

CRT: I updated twice today, and have the latest, the imports are still garbage.
2013-11-28 16:28
Oswald

yeah, I can help in how the p1 converter works, its not rocket science, tho I tweaked the hell out of it back then.

Magner - when converting from screenshot with p1 you should use the RGB/YUV color recognition mode. "Color sensitive" just tries to pick from predefined gradients based on SRC hue - I just copyed what Mirage did in Timanthes. (to give credit) It will never get the original color back.
2013-11-28 18:43
CRT

grasstust: It's possible I screwed up the versioning of the last update so it didn't refresh. I just added a cache reload on the version checking. I did experience problems with Pixcen receiving a cached old version number when checking. Now everything should be good after the 5th panic update of the day :-)

Magnar/Oswald: I'm happy to inherit some RGB conversion routines. Though for me personally, converting graphics with Pixcen have not been a priority and it's going to stay low on my TODO list for some time to come.

Oswald: I just made a hack on my work computer using a memory back buffer and then blitting. The rendering is now A LOT faster. Though this could potentially cause an extra unnecessary memcopy on computers whos drivers didn't have the sluggish refresh problem earlier. I will put the rendering back buffer as default but there will be an option to disable it in the next update.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | ... | 15 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Cresh/Elysium
Unkle K/Reset Magazi..
xahmol
zscs
Kickback
chesser/Nigaz