Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > JCH NewPlayer 21.g4 beta
2005-08-23 16:09
Laxity

JCH NewPlayer 21.g4 beta

I febuary/march I decided to code a player for JCH's editor. Mostly because I was feeling like doing some tunes on the 64 again, after attending the X'2004 event. Basically I was annoyed by the tie-note syncronization problem with 20.g4 and just felt up to coding some 64 stuff again. For the past four, five months Drax has been testing the player, and given me some response as to what features to integrate into it and such. If there's any interest in trying out the player I'd release the present beta version with whatever bugs it suffers from. The player has been written from scratch and has some new features, and is roughly the same speed as the old one... So if people still use the JCH editor and find this interesing, please say so! I'd especially be interested in feedback in regards to bugs discovered and suggestions for features etc.

... 54 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2005-10-28 12:16
dalezy

i really really miss the f2/live play option too, could you implent that in a next version? jamming is indispensable for me =)
2005-10-29 13:24
Laxity

Yeah.. I'll have to check out how JCH made that thing work though, and that's rather boring :) .. It's on the top of the list, I promise!
2005-10-29 23:32
_V_
Account closed

Well... what can I say? Some random JCH v20.g4 user here, I'll be sure to test out v21.g4 asap. I never use live play, mainly because I set speed to 0 (halfspeeds) in v20.g4, so the live play goes crazy anyway.

Of course, Jeff's editor will probably also be my soundsystem :), but that won't stop me from using this while awaiting Jeff's final version.

It's also great to see two super composers from the past (yeah you too DRAX) active again. Simply brilliant! =) Might a scrub like me ask what brought you back (temporarily or not)? SID nostalgia?
2005-10-30 06:59
Laxity

Well.. I think what triggered it was my trip to the X2004 last year, which - even though I was hung over most of one of the two days (DOH!), and puked like a 14 year old - motivated me to do some 64'ing again.. Also coding is a lot easier now, as I'm somewhat more expirienced, and have a genuine interest in it. I didn't really back then.. ;) .. Still coding some 64, and have a project going on that, if finished, will hopefully prove interesting to some in this forum... But no promises yet!
2005-10-30 07:01
Laxity

Eh.. speed 0 doesn't affect live play, by the way.. I think you're talking about the SHIFT-B thing, where the sequences follow the play cursor.. That one goes crap when speeds are below 2, but the F2 function for previewing sounds etc. doesn't work with 21.b4.. I hope to fix it in the near future though!
2005-10-30 12:19
_V_
Account closed

Yeah, I'm sorry - I realised the mix-up a few minutes ago and wanted to correct my post, but you beat me to it :). The F2 thing is something which I do use, but I guess you can circumvent it for now by using a test sequence and play those a few times until the it sounds okay, then copy it over to the actual sequence you were planning to use. Or something like that.

And I can understand your newfound motivation through X2004 - I went to X2001 and was really fueled by talking to guys like GRG, Reyn, Graham, WVL, Krill, my groupmates, etc. I so wanted to be at X2004 since the lineup of people was so brilliant (you were one of the "to meet" guys :), but I got stuck between leaving my old job at Germany and moving to university in Belgium. Just didn't have the time - major s*ckage. Oh well, maybe somewhere in the future, huh? :)
2005-11-06 09:20
Laxity

Status report:

21.g4 final release is about ready, with the F2 sound preview thing working correctly and a few bugs fixed. If there's anybody who have comments or have found bugs that I haven't, this is the time to say the word. Final will be uploaded shortly, if noone replies with bugs or the like.
2005-11-24 11:10
dalezy

sweet, looking forward to it.

i noticed a random bug (nothing that causes a hazard tho) - sometimes the follow-play option (shift+b) acts a little funky when the tune reached its end and starts all over. one of the tracks seems to lag by a few frames, thus causing a slight phase by playing a little slower than the remaining 2 tracks and sometimes the synch is totally off.
is that similar to what you mentioned in your buglist concering the synchronisation of the speed table?

i'm not sure how this can be reproduced, it mostly happened by random here. =)
2005-11-24 16:38
Laxity

Hmm.. Wierd.. I think it's a different bug, but related in the sence that it has something to do with the player initialization being executed outside the IRQ, while the player update is inside the IRQ.. This can give syncronization problems, and does so - apparently with the crtl+B thing, and sometimes when you just press.. is it f1(??) to restart the tune in the editor... Anyway, there's a remedy for that, and I'll apply it before releasing the final! Thanks for responding!
2005-11-25 17:05
dalezy

one thing just popped up here .. whenever i do some changes in the arpeggio-table, like putting more frames in the sound via shift+ins, the last bit of the following instrument in the instrument table changes, causing a mess in almost all the sounds.

could you fix that too? in 20.g4, the instrument table automatically updated whenever any changes in the arp-table have been done =)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
gorans
Mike
kbs/Pht/Lxt
cba
hedning/G★P
chesser/Nigaz