Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Intro Compos - and Size Coding
2024-06-23 09:32
Raistlin

Intro Compos - and Size Coding

I wanted to bring this topic up again.. as I know it was discussed before between TheRyk, Krill, Jammer, GPZ and others.

Size-limited intro compos. WHY are they restricted to limited RAM?

An intro compo, for me, shouldn’t be about pretending that C64 has limited memory. Intros should really just be appropriately sized “hey, we cracked this, we’re awesome, hello to our friends!” things to impress.

A 1k intro would normally be linked to a <4k game.. so if it chose to expand to 48k, but only added 1k or less to the file size, that would be fine. In the real world. The person playing the cracked game really doesn’t care less what the intro’s doing. It’s just an intro.

The argument that “we’re turning an intro compo into a compressed demo compo” seems backward. That’s not it at all. By adding the extra restrictions, you’re actually saying it’s not an intro compo at all - it’s now a size-coding compo.

My 2c.

Ps. Recent discussion on this was here: https://csdb.dk/forums/?roomid=12&topicid=158496&showallposts=1

... 37 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2024-06-28 12:12
TheRyk

Quoting Raistlin
... The Ryk -did- start with the rules how I suggest to begin with .. but then bowed to community pressure.

LOL!
The saying "Not being scolded is praise enough" comes to my mind, in our scene not being scolded is impossible, so I'd transform it to "If your compo rules do not lead to any suicides, violence or ragequits and only around half of the possible competitors publicly tear their dresses and tell you in a polite language what a dork you are, then you did your job."
Quoting TWW

The tyrrany of democrocy :)

In the end none of the factions was satisfied and I was hated by everyone all the same, anyway, so I could have as well gone with my original set of rules... ^^

Kidding aside, I'm not sulky at all, but actually BECAUSE ICC and its rules always produce such controversy before, while and after it's running, I think it's good to have not always the same person hosting it. Maybe the 16k (aka not much of meaningful limit at all) dudes would prefer Didi or Richard to host it once again for a change. Or any of sizecoding and intro experts who were so dissatisfied with my rules, takes the helm. I'm definetely out.* Next big standalone compo I'm planning to host is the 4th quadrennial Plain PETSCII Compo in early 2025.

However, why not have "Demos that look like Intros 1k/2k/4k/8k Compo" hosted by Raistlin now in Summer independent of ICC (which traditionally used to be in Fall/Winter)?

---
Edit:
* I tell you this, because people on IRC explicitly asked me about organizing... As an orga for the next standalone sizecoding compo, I'm out, not as competitor :)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
t0m3000/HF^BOOM!^IBX
DjS/Silicon Ltd
Knight Rider/TREX
Flavioweb/🇮🇹HF..
csabanw
cba