Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user lotus_skylight ! (Registered 2024-09-25) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Dim cold calculation?!?!?!
2002-08-25 22:41
CreaMD

Dim cold calculation?!?!?!

Okay.. I have to say something about the thing which really bugs me now. It's a sentence taken from review of Singles Collection. Here we go: "a dim, coldly calculated concept made for the due of things. Sadly enough all too recent as demands for not letting the stream dry up completely".

Dear critic.. Please don't tell us that you know what we feel when we compose, draw and code. Are you really so desperately incompetent that you really believe that people like TMR, Hollowman and others who participated in the project produce things because they desperately want the stream (another stupid catch word from that cathegory where retro & oldskool belongs) to continue?? Oh man, wake up.. nobody needs to do anything. If those people didn't enjoy what they did, they would never do anything. Please don't tell us that creative people do things because they want to keep c64 alive. I don't think anybody who participated on production of the collection did that with this purpose, only you are so incompetent that you dare to present daemagogy as fact. My god, dude those words you said are naiver than any retro bafflegab I've ever read on lemon64.com forums or comp.sys.cbm. And this from person who is actively participating in the C64 scene. Please go spread your incompetent and daemagogical definition of scene productivity somewhere else than in the most prestigious magazine ever produced.

Ah.. by the way.. according to your definition Vandalism News is a cold calcualtion too.. just to keep scene alive? Yeah?. If you believe in your own words, you already consider scene dead. Scene(rs) doesn't think and analyse things just for the sake of thinking and analysing things like you do.. Sorry but scene(r) is not so simple like you try to present to us. If there is just one person who understands the scene(rs), please stand up and say. Yeah, that's me. .... silence... have a nice dream dude.

... 60 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2004-06-14 09:18
_V_
Account closed

Well, I always start from the premise that when someone writes a review of something, he or she is qualified to do so. But even then, their opinion is worth as much as someone who is 'totally ignorant' or 'a complete expert', as it is an opinion. What you think about it eventually, is relative as it differs from person to person.

And because of this diversity, discussing it makes little sense other than venting some steam, as you rightfully realised. Now, steam-venting can be a good thing, so it's okay to be hot-blooded now and again. I'll be the first to admit that, although I don't care about opinions by principle, I'm still human and sometimes it can just hurt. Luckily, once the smoke clears, I can put it all into perspective again and continue doing what I want to do - that is, making demos. At the very least, it fires me up to better next time, which is always a good thing.
2004-06-14 11:16
Crossfire
Account closed

Dear CreaMD, I missed what, exactly? I just stated my point of view, but apparently you take great offence which makes me think I should probably stop this discussion for my own part. Obviously you feel attacked for some reason. And all about this knowing TMR, donating webspace - what are you talking about? Are you trying to give me pointers to something I know absolutely nothing about - nor CARE, actually....I'm not keeping up with releases nowadays, I'm not here to be apart of the scene - the scene for me is long gone, not that I dislike the scene nowadays, but I simply have no wishes nor time to become "active" again. So that means, this "single collection", which is I'm sure is a fine release, but I have no idea what you're rambling about, and I refuse to believe I cannot have an opinion just because it doesn't suit you...

Listen dude, I gave my opinion abstractly, meaning how it is in general, not in this certain case, but apparently you failed to comprehend that "minor detail" that anyone else here figured out....already having debated this little with you it is quite obvious how you can take anything personal...which is actually a shame, dude.....and no, that's not an attack - trust me, if I attacked you, you would know it - but I'm over that BS, that belonged to the old days...I grew up, why don't you?
2004-06-14 12:35
Puterman
Account closed

_V_: Yes, you can make the distinction and it can be a useful tool if you know what you're talking about. Parts of this discussion illustrate how such concepts can affect your thinking in negative ways. I guess _you_ know what you're talking about when you say that reviews are subjective, but it's very easy to misunderstand for people who haven't thought about these things.
2004-06-14 15:42
CreaMD

Quote: Dear CreaMD, I missed what, exactly? I just stated my point of view, but apparently you take great offence which makes me think I should probably stop this discussion for my own part. Obviously you feel attacked for some reason. And all about this knowing TMR, donating webspace - what are you talking about? Are you trying to give me pointers to something I know absolutely nothing about - nor CARE, actually....I'm not keeping up with releases nowadays, I'm not here to be apart of the scene - the scene for me is long gone, not that I dislike the scene nowadays, but I simply have no wishes nor time to become "active" again. So that means, this "single collection", which is I'm sure is a fine release, but I have no idea what you're rambling about, and I refuse to believe I cannot have an opinion just because it doesn't suit you...

Listen dude, I gave my opinion abstractly, meaning how it is in general, not in this certain case, but apparently you failed to comprehend that "minor detail" that anyone else here figured out....already having debated this little with you it is quite obvious how you can take anything personal...which is actually a shame, dude.....and no, that's not an attack - trust me, if I attacked you, you would know it - but I'm over that BS, that belonged to the old days...I grew up, why don't you?

First of all, I would like to avoid longish argument with another long-gone-dude. Been there done that. Let's make the complicated things simple. No I'm not taking your abstract opinion personal, I'm not upset, I don't have anything against you. You are not here to be apart of the scene - the scene for you is long gone...
2004-06-14 18:48
Crossfire
Account closed

Fine...whatever...

Amazing how a well-meant pointer can be misinterpreted into a whole full fledged argument...guess some things never change, for a second there I felt a deja-vu coming on *LOL*

And about being long gone, don't get me wrong, I fully applaud you guys spirit to keep it going, honestly. I just don't see myself as being apart of it anymore, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the company of old friends...and enemies, for that matter ;-)
2004-06-15 09:03
Ed

Quote: Seems like you haven't noticed the little detail that some people have the bad habbit of writting their opinions as facts...

hmm. The .avi thingy is a c64/amiga/video-cross production. Released back in 1999 at a live-performance. It's aprox 39.33 minutes long (40 if we round it all off) video-rip of one of the original tapes (actually someone stole the real tape version at another video-performance me and Joe had...) - It is a demo and the c64 version will perhaps come in the future. It took 5 fucking hard years to work through, and believe me. The c64 version have taken equally the same amount of time. However, I count this as a WD-release and it should not be left out of anything else me and Joe did. You can see it as a cross-barrier between the "disco calculi" and "mmab", "a quoi ca sert", "homage" thingies...
2004-06-15 14:32
hollowman

Quote: hmm. The .avi thingy is a c64/amiga/video-cross production. Released back in 1999 at a live-performance. It's aprox 39.33 minutes long (40 if we round it all off) video-rip of one of the original tapes (actually someone stole the real tape version at another video-performance me and Joe had...) - It is a demo and the c64 version will perhaps come in the future. It took 5 fucking hard years to work through, and believe me. The c64 version have taken equally the same amount of time. However, I count this as a WD-release and it should not be left out of anything else me and Joe did. You can see it as a cross-barrier between the "disco calculi" and "mmab", "a quoi ca sert", "homage" thingies...

i finally managed to leech the .avi, and i loved it , now please do make a c64 version
2004-06-15 22:05
Jazzcat

CreamD: would be nice if you had also sent an official reaction the magazine. Of course it is healthy to discuss it here too. I think you have misinterpreted the opinions of Wrath in the demo reviews of Vandalism News.

Whether people agree with them or not is none of my concern, what does matter is that they offer a different way of viewing productions. The struggle of finding deeper meanings is a hard task and I commend them for their efforts.

"Flaming" - always hated that pathetic term. I much prefer the C64 version known as "ragging.

Hear the screen of the C64 butterfly, crying out loud and hurting the ears of PC cattle!
2004-06-15 22:35
CreaMD

Quote: CreamD: would be nice if you had also sent an official reaction the magazine. Of course it is healthy to discuss it here too. I think you have misinterpreted the opinions of Wrath in the demo reviews of Vandalism News.

Whether people agree with them or not is none of my concern, what does matter is that they offer a different way of viewing productions. The struggle of finding deeper meanings is a hard task and I commend them for their efforts.

"Flaming" - always hated that pathetic term. I much prefer the C64 version known as "ragging.

Hear the screen of the C64 butterfly, crying out loud and hurting the ears of PC cattle!

Misinterpreted?!
2004-06-16 08:41
Jazzcat

You mentioned that the critics in question were incompetent. I highly doubt this and thus I come to my own conclusion that you must have misinterpreted their opinions.

I love it these days when somebody gets so passionate about the C64 - thats the spirit I like, hopefully not a destructive spirit... or self-destructive at that...

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Stryyker/Tide
Airwolf/F4CG
psenough
CA$H/TRiAD
insane/Rabenauge
Guests online: 127