Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user nurd ! (Registered 2024-06-16) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > An update on ‘Pixel art in the C64 demoscene’
2024-02-01 16:54
Sander

An update on ‘Pixel art in the C64 demoscene’

Dear fellow sceners,

In response to the comments we received, we’ve made some changes to the document.
Our goal was always to find common ground to maintain the fun and integrity of our hobby.

What this is not:
- It’s not written to limit anyone (only to encourage openness)
- It’s not aimed at specific individuals (it’s a scene wide practice)

Read the document here

We’d really love to hear your thoughts on this update.
Please post them in this thread, be kind and keep it constructive and on-topic please.

... 127 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2024-02-02 23:36
chatGPZ

yes, totally. AI use is special. Although i have seen really cool images produced by it - which would pass as original works.

(And for giggles, here is one of those failed attempts. No, the prg will never leave my HD :o))
2024-02-02 23:43
CreaMD

Quote: Quote:
In all honesty, I'm tempted to say: if it isn't ripping anyone off, who cares how it was made?

That's pretty much what i was saying before.

I can turn it the other way around too. If some picture has this typical converter look to me - i don't give a damn if its actually converted or not, i won't like it either case. No Birthlist or reference list will change that. (And some of the supposed top pixelers fall into this frequently)

I totally agree with you. When the result is great it doesn't matter how was it done. That's why I'm not retracting my 10 vote from you know which demo.

There is just that one slight problem. Attribution and acknowledgement.

The right of the creator or author of a work to be recognized as the author of their work. It is a moral right that ensures the creator's association with their work is acknowledged, giving them credit for their creativity and effort. This right is particularly important in the context of copyright law because it not only respects and honors the creator's personal connection to their creation but also helps in maintaining the work's integrity and authenticity.

(the last paragraph is slapped in from chatGP(Z)T ;-) I think it sums it up perfectly.

The "birthlist" is just idea to be able to present the compo the way, that it actually is able to "somehow" tell audience what are they going to see. If that doesn't affect their vote, good, if it does, good. In my opinion something like for example:

Screen 1.
Beatiful lady
AI generated
Conversion
PixelRetouched in XYZ crossplatform editor
Multicolor

Screen 2.
The gfx itself.

Is much beter than nothing. And it even makes the compo presentation nicely organized.
2024-02-02 23:47
chatGPZ

Everytime copyright law is mentioned as a reason to do whatever, in a scene that is largely based on ignoring just that, a kitten dies :(
2024-02-02 23:49
acrouzet

Quote: Everytime copyright law is mentioned as a reason to do whatever, in a scene that is largely based on ignoring just that, a kitten dies :(

Copyright law hasn't been about the artists in a long time (or forever?) anyway.
2024-02-02 23:55
4gentE

Copyright law primarily deals with lost (real or imagined) revenues and fair use. But it’s unfortunately the only law we have for now. This should change with the rise of AI.
2024-02-02 23:59
CreaMD

Btw. when we are talking about AI, this is almost passable asd good quality production. Beautiful colors

Source: playground.com. Converted using RetroPaint (sic) by Krzysztof Andrzej

It's still visible it's not hand retouched, but the control over colors (and dithering patterns, as I have hear) is quite cool feature.

The AI itself is not going anywhere, it will only get better and better and if some insane enthusiast trained it on C64 pixel art techniques, it might even happen that all this kind of images might be generated without middleman tools. I'm saying that in neutral tone. I'm probably more worried percepted value of art, in future. My daughter (17) is studying art school, I wonder what future holds for her. ;-/
2024-02-03 00:01
acrouzet

It all depends on if people are willing to be honest about the use of AI. I like to believe that humans value things made by other humans.
2024-02-03 00:02
chatGPZ

Quote:
It's still visible it's not hand retouched

Did you mean: it screams CONVERTED!!!!! so loud, i have to close the tab or my neighbours will complain.
2024-02-03 00:05
CreaMD

Quote: Everytime copyright law is mentioned as a reason to do whatever, in a scene that is largely based on ignoring just that, a kitten dies :(

Dude. This is an old joke. We no longer operate from our childhood bedrooms. I'm sure you have noticed that we can't be totally careless with certain high profile stuff. SMB64 comes to mind.
2024-02-03 00:06
chatGPZ

Don't give me this nonsense that people are no more pirating all over the place.

(There never was a problem with SMB64, that supposed C&D some Website claimed to have seen never existed, that was plain old attentionwhoring. The original links on Lemon are still there and work.)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Jetboy/Elysium
A3/AFL
Mike
hedning/G★P
Smasher/F4CG
Genius/Xenon