Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user nurd ! (Registered 2024-06-16) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > An update on ‘Pixel art in the C64 demoscene’
2024-02-01 16:54
Sander

An update on ‘Pixel art in the C64 demoscene’

Dear fellow sceners,

In response to the comments we received, we’ve made some changes to the document.
Our goal was always to find common ground to maintain the fun and integrity of our hobby.

What this is not:
- It’s not written to limit anyone (only to encourage openness)
- It’s not aimed at specific individuals (it’s a scene wide practice)

Read the document here

We’d really love to hear your thoughts on this update.
Please post them in this thread, be kind and keep it constructive and on-topic please.

... 127 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2024-02-03 02:01
CreaMD

Quote: And what stops them to just do all this stuff if they want it so bad?

Exactly, why they can't strive to cultivate the scene culture? ;-)
2024-02-03 02:02
CreaMD

Quote: Thanks for that list. Seeing Danny in there is hilarious. So you don't take it serious afterall <3

You and me didn't sign it. It's still good. 😛
2024-02-03 02:08
El Jefe

Quote: And what stops them to just do all this stuff if they want it so bad?

Honesty would be one thing, but most are probably not up to that!

El Jefe/sidDivers
2024-02-03 02:10
acrouzet

At least we have this document now to encourage people
2024-02-03 02:14
chatGPZ

Quote:
There's a difference between being unreasonably demanding and requesting that everyone do a few simple things to help to create an environment where both the more "serious" artists can thrive and the less "serious" people still have plenty of room to play. Social contracts and all that.

We already established compos have their own rules. We are not discussing that - no one would oppose these need (and actually already have) certain rules to prevent abuse.

We were discussing demos. Random demos with random converted graphics. How does that even matter for those "serious" artists? Do you think someone would suddenly appreciate Duces or Electrics pictures (just to name some whose original work i really admire) less, because i am using a converted gif animation? I don't think so.
2024-02-03 02:21
El Jefe

Quoting chatGPZ
Quote:
We were discussing demos. Random demos with random converted graphics. How does that even matter for those "serious" artists? Do you think someone would suddenly appreciate Duces or Electrics pictures (just to name some whose original work i really admire) less, because i am using a converted gif animation? I don't think so.

If it participates in a demo compo, my personal opinion is that it is not ok either. Graphics in demos are the strongest impression that is conveyed to the audience. Not everyone understands programming and can judge the quality of the code. but everyone will let himself be impressed/guided by the graphics.

El Jefe/sidDivers
2024-02-03 02:26
acrouzet

I think giving credit should be encouraged. Art of all kinds has meaning to at least somebody, even if you don't think it matters. Even outside of compos, I think most artists have some desire to have their efforts be known and appreciated over others
2024-02-03 02:30
chatGPZ

As said before, those who organize compos can always set up the rules they see fit. (Eg Revision always had a "only original content" rule). This isn't about compo. (I wouldn't use anything converted in compo. I even refuse to use anything not made by someone in my group for that matter).
2024-02-03 02:39
acrouzet

Or rather, I should say, most artists have a desire to have their works be judged fairly in accordance with the efforts of others in general, outside of formal competitions. If a work is converted from a source image made by someone else, but people judge the work as if it was done entirely by the converter, that may seem unfair to an artist who's done everything themselves no matter where or how the work is presented. You don't need to have a competition with clear rankings to be affected by peoples' judgements.

Of course, if it's a "shitpost" demo with obvious converts of meme images and such, I can see why all this may be a bit excessive in that context.
2024-02-03 02:50
chatGPZ

To me its pretty clear where to draw the line for that matter - when the gfx is actually attributed to a proper gfx guy, then i expect its "handmade". On the other hand, i wouldn't count the demos using gfx made by Banshee as shitposting memes.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
Nicron
iAN CooG/HVSC
X-Raffi/X-Rated
Guests online: 123
Top Demos