Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Productions > What's downvoting...
2021-12-10 21:48
TheRyk

What's downvoting...

Quoting Shine

"LOVE TO THE NEGATIVE DOWNVOTERS..."

Means what exactly?
Just curious, what is a downvote in your opinion, Knight Rider?

removed from Comments on
Excess ICC2021 4KB Intro

Feel free to lead (yet another) philosophical debate on the definition of downvoting here, but pretty please not in entry comments ffs

and behave...

*opens his umbrella for weather forecast tells me to expect shitstorm and heavy vote whining tears rains*

An example from some drama last summer: Voting a 2 on something with zero downloads (which means someone votes it lower than 10 without even downloading the file), now THAT's definetely downvoting in my book

PS: @the current release overly hard 5s are outweiged by overenthusiastic 10s pretty well currently imho

... 90 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2021-12-12 22:45
chatGPZ

I'd just stop voting alltogether and delete all my past votes if they'd be public - as i dont have time to discuss whatever the fuck i voted for someones self proclaimed masterpiece. The amount of public whining about "downvoting" (referring to 7s...) is silly enough already
2021-12-12 23:54
Frostbyte

Here's an idea: What if a vote would be accompanied with a mandatory comment? You could still choose if you want your actual vote to be public or not (I prefer to keep mine private as I don't want to give only 10s or not vote at all), but in order to vote, you must give some feedback to the maker(s) of the release to justify your vote.

This would:

a) Encourage people to give vocal feedback in the first place. If someone doesn't like my prod, rather than just receiving a blunt 1 or a strategic (more impactful considering the algorithm) 5 from them, I'd very much prefer to get some constructive feedback on what they didn't appreciate and what I could, according to them, do better. I know words can be hurtful, and most of us fiddling with 40 year old computers are probably somewhere on a spectrum and either can't form our words of constructive criticism in a polite way or can't take any criticism in a constructive manner, but maybe we just need practice. :) Also, I'm sure everyone would appreciate more positive feedback too. Sure, we all do this for ourselves... But we are still seeking acceptance from a group of likeminded people. Otherwise we wouldn't have a voting and commenting system, and long threads about what's wrong with them. :)

b) Very likely reduce the number of downvotes out of spite, because of compo/chart/whatever manipulation, group wars or whatever dumb reason we middle-aged, grown-up farts sharing the same geeky passion shouldn't even have to discuss about.

c) Allow admins to spot - and maybe even react on - deliberate downvoters. If someone consistently leaves comments like "great prod my friend, keep'em coming!" and gives much lower than average votes, something is amiss.

I'm sure there are caveats to this, for example some people will be less keen to vote as it'd be more involved than it is now, but IMHO the pros outweigh the cons. Thoughts?
2021-12-13 00:18
chatGPZ

Wishful thinking. Vote 1, post "cool!" - it happens already, doesnt solve anything.
2021-12-13 01:03
Krill

Quoting Frostbyte
c) Allow admins to spot - and maybe even react on - deliberate downvoters.
The admins are very well aware of certain deliberate downvoters.

What would be somewhat cool is having admins react on a few worst offenders whenever bored or in a foul mood, and just silently expose their votes by setting the public flag. =)
2021-12-13 02:06
Jazzcat

Quote: Quoting Frostbyte
c) Allow admins to spot - and maybe even react on - deliberate downvoters.
The admins are very well aware of certain deliberate downvoters.

What would be somewhat cool is having admins react on a few worst offenders whenever bored or in a foul mood, and just silently expose their votes by setting the public flag. =)

What if the admins are some of the worst offenders?

/me hides.
2021-12-13 03:10
chatGPZ

Quote:

or just randomize the votes on entries of those who keep whining about it?
2021-12-13 03:10
Flex

..my first and most likely last words about CSDb voting:

Oh boy, times have changed and where have we come to...
Not more than just some 5 years ago you really had to put your absolute best into the table to achieve then very respectful 9 average.

Speaking on my half, that was one thing that kept me "hungry" pushing for better and better trying to strike that line of 9 for the first time. When I finally got there, it felt very rewarding.

In this context I find it a bit funny nowadays to see people give full points even for mediocre stuff and more funny to see these 10's being given by fellow groupmates. :-) I know the aim is to cheer and encourage, but I think we're on a wrong path when this happens.
I really don't want to see the real world phenomenon, the fear of hurt feelings land here at CSDb - especially if it's just a silly matter of giving votes that are considered "downvotes". If CSDb voting becomes a world of 9's and 10's, I know people mean good but then we're on our way to a sweet bubble that kills the hunger.

I'd like to see people being consistent(!) with their vote-range and voting behavior. What comes to the range, a pretty nice 7 should certainly not be considered a downvote. Unfortunately it seems to be the case nowadays which I think is wrong!

Personally, can't say good votes wouldn't cheer me up too, but in the end it really doesn't matter. In general I find voting is a good spice at CSDb but nothing beats the feedback. Comments - good or bad - are what really mean something. Instead of clicking a number, thank you for your time and thoughts.

Seeing "ill" voting behaviour makes me a bit sad and reduces my childish believe in the C64 scene of "good guys only". :-)

Enough said. Keep on voting! ;-)
2021-12-13 03:11
chatGPZ

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
2021-12-13 05:11
Raistlin

What Flex said.

Right now, voting means nothing on most releases.. but.. without it, there’d be no charts at all - and I like the charts just as an easy way to find decent demos that I might not have seen before (I need to look somewhere down in the 100-200s to find those - but that’s easier still than trawling through 10,000s of demos).
2021-12-13 07:09
hedning

Quote:
without it, there’d be no charts at all - and I like the charts just as an easy way to find decent demos that I might not have seen before

That’s a valid point. To help users find good stuff is very useful. But again: it builds on people voting honestly. Maybe a better way of handling this mess is to see how Pouet is doing it. Seems to work pretty fine there.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Dymo/G★P
Mike
El Gato
Fred/Channel 4
Apollyon/ALD
Brittle/Dentifrice^(?)