Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Shortest code for stable raster timer setup
2020-01-20 16:20
Krill

Shortest code for stable raster timer setup

While working on my ICC 2019 4K entry (now postponed to ICC 2020, but i hope it'll be worth the wait), i came up with this (14 bytes):
initstabilise   lda $d012
                ldx #10          ; 2
-               dex              ;   (10 * 5) + 4
                bpl -            ; 54
                nop              ; 2
                eor $d012 - $ff,x; 5 = 63
                bne initstabilise; 7 = 70

[...]; timer setup
The idea is to loop until the same current raster line is read at the very beginning (first cycle) and at the very end (last cycle) of a raster line, implying 0 cycles jitter.

With 63 cycles per line on PAL, the delay between the reads must be 63 cycles (and not 62), reading $d012 at cycle 0 and cycle 63 of a video frame's last line (311), which is one cycle longer due to the vertical retrace.

The downside is that effectively only one line per video frame is attempted, so the loop may take a few frames to terminate, and the worst case is somewhere just beyond 1 second.

The upside is that it always comes out at the same X raster position AND raster line (0), plus it leaves with accu = 0 and X = $ff, which can be economically re-used for further init code.

Now, is there an even shorter approach, or at least a same-size solution without the possibly-long wait drawback?

... 177 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2020-12-04 00:47
Copyfault

Ah well, f**k it, it obviously falls through on the first loop run. Damn!
2020-12-04 01:29
ChristopherJam

Quoting Rastah Bar
I do not know exactly how crunchers tailored to 6502 code work, but what will turn out to be the shortest crunched routine, could depend on the code or data around it, is that correct?

Could do - but every single cruncher in use is some kind of variation on "replacing things it has seen before with a reference to the earlier version" (though LZMA does also try and compress the bits in literal values if it can).

The code crunching specializations just separate out the operand stream from the opcode stream, either directly or by favouring offsets for copying bytes from 5 or 6 bytes earlier in the output-thus-far.

Any kind of guarantee that "hey I've seen nearly half these bytes already' is going to be hard to beat.
2020-12-04 14:40
Rastah Bar

@CJam: Thanks for explaining. It is a nice puzzle to find short uncrunched versions, but I understand that it remains to be seen how useful they really are.

@all:
Another variant: after some init code often the values in X and Y will be known. If one of them is larger then 127, then SHX or SHY can be used with an address with {H+1}<128 for a 7-byte, 10-cycle loop. F.e. let's say X>$7F and Y=$10 (any value Y<$FF can be made to work):
HH0c   shx $HH00,Y
HH0f   lda #any_value
HH11   bpl *-5 

HH is a number smaller than $7F. The low byte of the start address should be adjusted according to the value of Y.
X or Y >$7f is hardly a constraint, since something like LDX #$80, STX $d020 already does the trick.
2020-12-04 21:49
Copyfault

I was about to begin with "Let's cheat it down to 7 bytes...", but hats off for being faster with a 7-bytes-version, Rastah Bar! Great stuff, really! But let's face it: the lower the amount of bytes for the actual sync routine, the more (and weirder) the constraints ;)

Here's my idea. After decrunch, let's assume we have two zp-adresses set to specific values: $9e=$fa; and $a0=$00 (other combinations are possible, but this one's fairly nice to illustrate the method). This'd allow us to sync with the following three lines of code:
loop:  lda $a6,x
       shx $00a0,y
       beq loop
The routine must be called with a JMP loop+1, so it starts with
entry: ldx $9e
       ldy #$00
       beq loop
Ok, it needs special zp adresses set to special values, but this is usually the case (one's tempted to say: "choose your vectors wisely";)). At least this routine can be placed at any mem position and the zp-values stay unchanged.

Don't know which constraints are less disturbing, but I think it won't get any smaller than 7 bytes. It's still a challenge to try to make it completely free of any constraint while keeping this small size!
2020-12-04 22:35
Rastah Bar

Nice, but it would be quite a coincidence that you would need exactly these presettings in the rest of the intro or demo. Perhaps there are ZP adresses that normally (I mean, after a cold start), have the required values.
2020-12-04 22:56
Copyfault

Quoting Rastah Bar
Nice, but it would be quite a coincidence that you would need exactly these presettings in the rest of the intro or demo. Perhaps there are ZP adresses that normally (I mean, after a cold start), have the required values.
Did not dig deeper through the default zp settings, but since the sync-loop must be started by jumping inside, calling it after decrunching is mandatory more or less. So why not establish some special vector settings;))?

And though other combinations are possible, it's all quite rigid and every variant needs extra checks asf. Getting rid of the vectors completely would be awesome (without mem constraints & 7 bytes in total), but well - this whole problem had a black hole effect for far too long on my mind... and obviously still has :(
2020-12-04 23:22
Rastah Bar

I know almost nothing about decrunchers, so I don't have a clue what they can do in terms of "initial conditions" of ZP-adresses or registers, etc.

If they can, for example, give you a desired value of X and Y (without increasing net code size), then perhaps a 6-byte loop is possible with something like this:
shx $HH00,y
BYTE any_value
bne *-4

The code location and $HH should be such that X & {H+1} is the opcode for instructions like TXA, TYA, while X should contain the opcode for a 3-byte instruction.

So without DMA, the byte after the SHX instruction is replaced by e.g. TYA ensuring the branch is taken, and with DMA the loop exits with the 3-byte instruction whose opcode was in X. But this is stretching it really far!
2020-12-04 23:56
Copyfault

Quoting Rastah Bar
I know almost nothing about decrunchers, so I don't have a clue what they can do in terms of "initial conditions" of ZP-adresses or registers, etc.
With "after decrunch" I just mean that the all memory is initialised with values as needed and that the jump to whatever starting point belongs to the decruncher code.

Quoting Rastah Bar
If they can, for example, give you a desired value of X and Y (without increasing net code size), then perhaps a 6-byte loop is possible with something like this:
shx $HH00,y
BYTE any_value
bne *-4

The code location and $HH should be such that X & {H+1} is the opcode for instructions like TXA, TYA, while X should contain the opcode for a 3-byte instruction.

So without DMA, the byte after the SHX instruction is replaced by e.g. TYA ensuring the branch is taken, and with DMA the loop exits with the 3-byte instruction whose opcode was in X. But this is stretching it really far!
Yes this should work. But you're right, it's really shifting *a lot* of preparations to the reign of decruncher & init code. Still quite doable I think. Time to dig out the shortest-code-medal and polish it for the new owner;)
2020-12-05 15:35
Rastah Bar

The code cannot be freely placed in memory, so you may keep that medal :-)

One example (there are probably a lot more):
X = $38 (opcode for SEC)
SHX $HH00,Y
CLC
BCC *-4

HH can be $17..$1E, $57..$5E, $97..9E, $D7..$DE. Without DMA, the CLC (opcode $18) does not change, with DMA it is replaced with SEC.
2020-12-05 21:06
Rastah Bar

Quote: The STA $ZP instruction (see post #44) can be made part of the init code, which reduces the timer-based stabilization approach to effectively 10 bytes:
      ldy #init_value  ;Init code
sync: lax $dc04
      sbx #51
      sty ZP      ;RRW instruction. Part of init code.
      cpx $dc04
      bne sync:

STY ABS is also allowed, in combination with SBX #52.

If I'm not mistaken, this should work on PAL, NTSC, and DREAN, but the loop exit cycle may depend on the system.

Correction: STY ABS is not guaranteed to lock(*), but STY ZP is, on all models (PAL, old and new NTSC, DREAN).

(*) Unless the border saves it, but I still have to check that.
Previous - 1 | ... | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | ... | 20 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Hagar/The Supply Team
Six/G★P
CA$H/TRiAD
celticdesign/G★P/M..
Alakran_64
goerp/F4CG