Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Shortest code for stable raster timer setup
2020-01-20 16:20
Krill

Shortest code for stable raster timer setup

While working on my ICC 2019 4K entry (now postponed to ICC 2020, but i hope it'll be worth the wait), i came up with this (14 bytes):
initstabilise   lda $d012
                ldx #10          ; 2
-               dex              ;   (10 * 5) + 4
                bpl -            ; 54
                nop              ; 2
                eor $d012 - $ff,x; 5 = 63
                bne initstabilise; 7 = 70

[...]; timer setup
The idea is to loop until the same current raster line is read at the very beginning (first cycle) and at the very end (last cycle) of a raster line, implying 0 cycles jitter.

With 63 cycles per line on PAL, the delay between the reads must be 63 cycles (and not 62), reading $d012 at cycle 0 and cycle 63 of a video frame's last line (311), which is one cycle longer due to the vertical retrace.

The downside is that effectively only one line per video frame is attempted, so the loop may take a few frames to terminate, and the worst case is somewhere just beyond 1 second.

The upside is that it always comes out at the same X raster position AND raster line (0), plus it leaves with accu = 0 and X = $ff, which can be economically re-used for further init code.

Now, is there an even shorter approach, or at least a same-size solution without the possibly-long wait drawback?

... 177 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2020-12-06 19:16
Rastah Bar

Quoting Copyfault
Well, in large parts it's the same as what I proposed in post#86.

Yes, you are right. It's also very similar to what I wrote in post#71. I lost track a bit of all the variants.
Quote:

But now that we entered the territory of over-stretching, here a version that does it in only 5 bytes (again putting all required reg settings on the decruncher's bill) :
$fdfc  9E D0 FD   shx $fdd0,y
$fdff  D0 FC      bne $fdfd
Comes with all constraints one could think of: mem loc fixed, y=$2f fixed val mandatory, x=$d1 fixed val mandatory, setting of vector $fc/$fd has influence on the no. of cycle that are taken when the loop is left, to be started with z-flag=0, ... maybe more! Ok. it's possible to do it with any branch-opcode, but this doesn't really make it any better;)

Very ingenious, but an 8-cycle loop doesn't work, doesn't it? See post #61.
2020-12-06 19:28
Copyfault

Quoting Rastah Bar
Quoting Copyfault
Well, in large parts it's the same as what I proposed in post#86.

Yes, you are right. I lost track a bit of all the variants.
Quote:

But now that we entered the territory of over-stretching, here a version that does it in only 5 bytes (again putting all required reg settings on the decruncher's bill) :
$fdfc  9E D0 FD   shx $fdd0,y
$fdff  D0 FC      bne $fdfd
Comes with all constraints one could think of: mem loc fixed, y=$2f fixed val mandatory, x=$d1 fixed val mandatory, setting of vector $fc/$fd has influence on the no. of cycle that are taken when the loop is left, to be started with z-flag=0, ... maybe more! Ok. it's possible to do it with any branch-opcode, but this doesn't really make it any better;)

It's actually a 12-cycle loop, cause the first branch is 4-cycles long (page-break!), the branch in the operand of the SHX takes 3 cycles and the SHX itself 5 -> 12 cycles in total;)

It could even be done with just 4 bytes (continuing the abuse of the byte-counting):
loop:  sha (vec),y
       bne loop
If this is located at the end of a page s.t. the BNE comes with a pb, it's a 10-cycle-loop in total.

Still, too far-fetched, too many things must be configured correctly. Personally, I think the 7-bytes-solution (as in post#110) that "only" comes with requirements on zp-values set in a special way is the best compromise between flexibility and byte-count!
2020-12-06 19:47
Rastah Bar

Quoting Copyfault
Quoting Rastah Bar

Quote:
It's actually a 12-cycle loop, cause the first branch is 4-cycles long (page-break!), the branch in the operand of the SHX takes 3 cycles and the SHX itself 5 -> 12 cycles in total;)

Yes, I misread the branch. I thought it was to $FDFC.
Quote:

It could even be done with just 4 bytes (continuing the abuse of the byte-counting):
loop:  sha (vec),y
       bne loop
If this is located at the end of a page s.t. the BNE comes with a pb, it's a 10-cycle-loop in total.

Awesome! With SHA(vec),y even 3 bytes is possible for a 12-cycle loop. One example:
$5f00  SHA (VEC),y
$5f02  RTS

If we assume that the decruncher provides the following initial conditions: {A&X} = $EA (opcode of NOP), Y = 2, the ZP addresses VEC and VEC+1 point to $5F00 and the stack is completely filled with the return address $5F00. Without DMA the SHA writes $EA & {$5F+1} = $60 (opcode for RTS) and repeats that until a DMA makes it write an NOP.
Quote:

Still, too far-fetched, too many things must be configured correctly. Personally, I think the 7-bytes-solution (as in post#110) that "only" comes with requirements on zp-values set in a special way is the best compromise between flexibility and byte-count!

I'll leave that judgement to the people who want to use any of the variants.
2020-12-16 00:07
Copyfault

Quoting Rastah Bar

Awesome! With SHA(vec),y even 3 bytes is possible for a 12-cycle loop. One example:
$5f00  SHA (VEC),y
$5f02  RTS

If we assume that the decruncher provides the following initial conditions: {A&X} = $EA (opcode of NOP), Y = 2, the ZP addresses VEC and VEC+1 point to $5F00 and the stack is completely filled with the return address $5F00. Without DMA the SHA writes $EA & {$5F+1} = $60 (opcode for RTS) and repeats that until a DMA makes it write an NOP.
Yeah, already told you that I like this approach for its level of insanity alone :)) Maybe instead of $5f00 one could choose $5f5f as "start adress" so the whole stack can be filled with the same byte and no matter at which position the SP will be, it will always return to the right spot!
2020-12-16 02:16
ChristopherJam

Oh this is great.

May I suggest replacing the RTS with a BRK? Then you only need a single vector pointing at the routine start, instead of all of stack :) 13 cycle works I think; it divides cycles per frame but not cycles per character row.

(edit - assuming no issues with cycle stealing from all the stack writes for the BRK, of course. I've not tested this)
2020-12-16 12:55
chatGPZ

read the whole thread again any by scientific measures you all turned out pretty insane.
2020-12-16 14:36
ChristopherJam

Quoting Groepaz
read the whole thread again any by scientific measures you all turned out pretty insane.

Well, I can't really argue with that.

I can suggest replacing the BRK (or rather the contents of A) with the opcode of the next instruction in the init routine. Place the SHA in $ffxx, and it will zero out whatever is written until the time is right. Just saved another byte \o/
2020-12-16 15:24
Copyfault

Quoting ChristopherJam
Oh this is great.

May I suggest replacing the RTS with a BRK? Then you only need a single vector pointing at the routine start, instead of all of stack :) 13 cycle works I think; it divides cycles per frame but not cycles per character row.

(edit - assuming no issues with cycle stealing from all the stack writes for the BRK, of course. I've not tested this)
I also had this idea to do it with a BRK instead of RTS (I mean: when there's some ANDing in play, a $00-byte for the "continue-loop"-case feels tempting;)), but afaiu post#61 by Quiss, 13 cycles does not work. So I guess the complete stack would've to be "configured adequately" :)

Quoting Groepaz
Well, don't have a good argument against this - but insanity is the obvious state when stepping beyond science ;)
2020-12-16 15:30
Copyfault

Quoting ChristopherJam
[...]
Oh wait... Quiss' calculation for the loop-length was based on R-cycle only... so the BRK *will* change it. Need to fiddle out the permitted loop-lengths under this new precondition - maybe it works...
2020-12-16 15:36
ChristopherJam

I do hope it works. Because then we can use the entire SHA instruction and its opcode as the address operand of a preceding instruction (eg placing the zp pointer at an address that doubles as the high byte of an IO address), then the entire routine can vanish altogether. Zero bytes :D :D
Previous - 1 | ... | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Guests online: 109
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)
4 Edge of Disgrace  (9.6)