Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Break Vice at certain opcode
2024-03-11 10:23
Gordian

Break Vice at certain opcode

Hello,
is there any possibility to create condition for breaking Vice monitor at certain opcode?

... 38 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2024-03-20 11:47
Gordian

Quote: Quoting Gordian
Wacek,the most used and my favorite tool is INC/DEC$D020/21

Same here. But believe me, for serious debugging, you should give RD a try ;)

I believe! And debugging is always serious thing for me:)
2024-03-20 13:11
chatGPZ

Quote:
Please show me the rewinding or mem usage dumps done in Vice.

The only feature RD actually adds is the rewinding. memory usage dump has been in the monitor since forever (mmap). As said before, RD is a frontend - no more no less. It provides alternative ways to use VICE - but doesn't actually add features (Also the rewinding is "many snapshots" basically).
Quote:
Bashing other tools that are obviously done to serve the community and should be appreciated in the same way your work with Vice is appreciated, is just damn childish, don't you think?

I am not bashing anything. I am just mentioning facts.
Quote:
RD is a great tool and admitting that does not take anything away from Vice, sheesh.

Yes it is. I never said it is not.
Quote:
but I do know what I'm doing with Vice

Strange that you don't know these features then, or how to use them :)
Quote:
Thinking that THIS and using RD is mutually exclusive is retarded.

How? RD is stuck at a 5 year old VICE version, contains all bugs that were fixed since then, and lacks all features added since then. And it probably won't get updated either, due to the hacks added to make RD work. That's just how it is. (I still don't understand why it was never updated to use the remote protocol for that matter - THAT would be seriously cool indeed).
2024-03-20 21:39
wacek

Quoting chatGPZ
The only feature RD actually adds is the rewinding.[...]doesn't actually add features

Vice memmap without the chip access is useless for some of my needs. This and 'just many snapshots' are just 2 of many features that make all the difference in the world to some users.

Quote:
Strange that you don't know these features then, or how to use them :)

Not strange at all - having different tool options to choose from, sometimes users choose other option than the one the dev considers 'superior'. One of the reasons might be Slajerek's attitude towards users. Just a thought.

Quote:
How? RD is stuck at a 5 year old VICE version

You do know that people use multiple versions of Vice on same system for different things? :)
2024-03-20 21:56
chatGPZ

Quote:
Not strange at all

Claiming to know it when you don't is not strange at all? OK :)
Quote:
You do know that people use multiple versions of Vice on same system for different things?

Sure. And all i said is that i prefer the most up to date one, no more no less.
2024-03-21 07:22
Martin Piper

In Vice monitor, I sometimes use the conditional to break at certain raster or cycle in a raster. The syntax is not that bad.
2024-03-21 08:59
wacek

Quoting chatGPZ
Claiming to know it when you don't is not strange at all? OK :)

No, it's not strange at all I knew there is breakpoints functionality in Vice and I decided not to go deeper into what is possible and instead used something else for the same purpose. I don't think you will ever get it why, because you just don't have that user-oriented mentality.

By the way you skipped the important points I mentioned and laser focused on the one that has no real merit, but OK, nihil novi here, your normal "discussion" tactics ;)
2024-03-21 09:03
wacek

GPZ, as long as we are talking, and I do not follow the development of Vice so closely, what were the reasons behind changing the interface and keyboard shortcuts so many times in Vice?
2024-03-21 13:57
chatGPZ

Quote:
No, it's not strange at all I knew there is breakpoints functionality in Vice and I decided not to go deeper into what is possible and instead used something else for the same purpose. I don't think you will ever get it why, because you just don't have that user-oriented mentality.

I totally do get why you do it, i do the same with eg git - i use a frontend for many things, because i don't want to learn tons of weird command line options.
That's totally unrelated to what the point was though - maybe reread the discussion.
Quote:
By the way you skipped the important points I mentioned and laser focused on the one that has no real merit, but OK, nihil novi here, your normal "discussion" tactics

Aha. Perhaps the fact that none of your assertion addresses what the OP asked for was the whole point. And the fact that RD can't help with what the OP asked for. And that everything you said can be summarized to "OH JESUS VICE MONITOR IS SO MUCH HARDER TO USE NO SANE PERSON USES THIS USE RD INSTEAD", which doesn't help with what asked at all. We weren't discussing whats a better debugger. We weren't discussing how terrible VICE monitor is. We were discussing how to solve a certain problem - in the VICE monitor.
Just an idea :)
Quote:
what were the reasons behind changing the interface and keyboard shortcuts so many times in Vice?

That has been explained so many times it becomes a bit silly, but here it is again: The interface was changed, because using a portable library (GTK) for all targets is much more maintainable than dealing with different APIs and code for each target (RD does exactly the same thing for the exact same reason). We basically reduced the amount of time and developers needed by a factor of 3. The alternative would have been to drop the Windows port completely - because in 5 or so years not a single person stepped up to maintain it.

As for the keyboard shortcuts - it was a hand full (like 5 or so) that were different between the Windows port and every other port (for some reason beyond my knowledge), it was just natural to use those that have been in use in every other port since forever. You can always use the provided legacy mapping file if you prefer the old windows shortcuts. (And it wasn't "so many times". It was once.)
2024-03-21 15:47
ChristopherJam

The shortcut changes are coming from inside the house!

Wacek, configure all of your VICE instances the same way, then the churn will stop.
2024-03-22 08:58
wacek

Quoting chatGPZ
I totally do get why you do it, i do the same with eg git - i use a frontend for many things, because i don't want to learn tons of weird command line options.
That's totally unrelated to what the point was though - maybe reread the discussion.

My view of that is different but I don't really have the time and energy anymore to continue with that. The main point was I found your comments on RD offensive towards the developer of that tool.

Quote:
And that everything you said can be summarized to "OH JESUS VICE MONITOR IS SO MUCH HARDER TO USE NO SANE PERSON USES THIS USE RD INSTEAD"

I never said this LOL :) I use the vice monitor all the time for simple tasks during development, but for critical debugging when something seriously strange fucks up it's much more effective to use RD with its "just many snapshots" ;) and stepping features. That is all. And RD still could use some popularization among people, which vice honestly does not need :) get over it, will ya.

Quote:
We weren't discussing whats a better debugger.

One, this is not soviet russia where discussions cannot fork to the side ;) Two, I mentioned RD as an alternative way to try to do this, and you have thrown a tantrum.

Quote:
That has been explained so many times it becomes a bit silly

Again, not everyone follows the vice development so closely, same goes for the csdb forums. Thanks for the clarifications, changing the shortcuts is a challenge to the muscle memory ;). Honestly though, I do understand the GTK reasoning, for the keyboard shortcuts not so much. These are different machines with different keyboards (I mean PC, Amiga and Mac) and I am pretty sure there are maybe 2-3 people in the world that are switching between these systems, definitely not the majority of the users, right? How would that really influence the development efforts to keep the historical setup? (asking genuinely because you know I am not a programmer IRL).
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Durandal
Unlock/Padua/Albion
tempest/extend
bugjam
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
fredrikr