Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Pinball Dreams discussion forum
2003-02-13 19:16
WVL

Pinball Dreams discussion forum

Hey guys/girls,

instead of updating my homepage all the time, I though I could open a new thread here instead. This will also allow other ppl to comment on the development.

okay, so whassup at the moment?

Well, Last month I completely restarted from scratch on the code. Why? Well, first I wanted to concentrate more on getting the game to run in less memory, also I wanted to focus more on accurate simulation of the ball and some small other things...

What I have done till now :

1 - spawned the ball ;-)
2 - added gravity to the surroundings, the gravity data is now RLE encoded, so it doesn't take up much memory anymore. Used to eat 20 blocks of memory, now I think a map would use 3-4 blocks..
3 - I changed the gravity routine to use polar-based vectors instead of cartesean, much more accurate!
4 - added a debug mode to the movement routines, you're able to pick up the ball with the firebutton and move it around. Let go of the button and you drop it on the table again.
5 - Worked on an accurate (within 1 'bradian' degree) direction calculation routine. This routine will be used for both friction calculations and calculating new directions after collisions. So it needs to be
6 - added a (simple) friction routine.
7 - I put a small preview on the web ;-)

get it at http://www.interstyles.nl/pinball.rar

okay, what am I up to now?

1 - increase the speed accuracy to 24 bit, I need this because the friction only affects speed in the last 3 bits or so, so it's not accurate at all..
2 - add spin to the ball, so it is allowed to roll.. (also gives effect to the ball like top-spin and such)
3 - dunno yet, I'll see what is the next logical step after that.. probably the new method of collision detection, dunno..

I'm thinking of putting the sourcecode online as ascii file, so everyone can check it out...

Suggestions? Questions? other stuff?

greets, Werner

... 163 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2004-01-09 22:33
WVL

btw, right now no more memdumps please ;) I already received 2 in my mailbox, and together with my own should have enough info to fix some bugs.. so please wait for the next test-version before sending in!

(already fixed 2 small bugs in the code thanx to the memdumps!! (which caused the freezing of the screen), but there's still the bug inside which 'teleports' the ball after a collision.. hmmmm..)
2004-01-10 02:40
WVL

I already put up a new version (same URL's as before), with a couple of bugs less.. there's still one left I know of, but you wouldn't notice (I guess, it's not really a bug, just something that's inaccurate a bit ;)

following stuff should be fixed :

- a bit faster routine
- no more freezing (unless you place the ball inside a wall with your joystick)
- the ball will now touch the wall if the ball is on the right of the wall, instead of having a one-pixel distance..
- no more 'teleporting' of the ball when it hits a wall under certain conditions (I HOPE)
- some more small bugs...

I also increased the size of the history, now runs from $4200-$6200. So if you run into something weird, send back this memory area, okay?

going to sleep now...
2004-01-15 15:09
WVL

new version is available from the usual URL..

please test!

this version has had some more bugfixing, and has had the ball shooter added (which still has a bug in it ;))

also some other stuff, see the sourcecode for details.

edit : btw, can someone look at the 'detectmodel' subroutine and tell me why the AR/RR detection doesn't work?

question 2 : because of JB's real-life problems, I'm looking for someone to finish conversion of the bitmap-graphics for the game.. this is how far I've got myself (based on the first version by JB)

http://www.interstyles.nl/bitmap.gif
2004-02-11 15:27
WVL

an update :

last weeks I've been working on the hardware scroller and some other things. You can check for yourself in the prv (same url).

there won't be an updated prv for some weeks, as I'm now working on some tools to help me with the final things I need to do on the bitmap/walls/collision data and such.

this will take some time ;) so don't worry if there's no update for some time
2004-02-12 11:00
WVL

okay, coding went well yesterday. So instead of what I said yesterday, there is already a new preview out :) http://www.interstyles.nl/MAIN2.PRG

due to finishing some new parts of the tool, I could finally add the lights engine, and fix some small 'bugs' in the bitmap.

right now I only made the three "D I E" lights flash, but the others are just as simple. I won't add the other lights untill the bitmap is 100% finished, else I'm doing double work (and I'm lazy).

enjoy :)

I'm thinking a bit of what to do next. last things to do are : adding flippers, adding score display, make the collision maps..

edit : link to sourcecode : http://www.interstyles.nl/MAIN.TXT
link to the new toolset :
http://www.interstyles.nl/TOOL.PRG

2004-02-16 14:09
CreaMD

Big step forward! Kewl!
2004-02-16 15:54
MagerValp

I want more collision maps, it's fun to watch the ball bounce around. And maybe you could make the joy button give the ball a random direction and speed? Loads of fun for easily amused people like me... :)
2004-02-16 15:59
WVL

working on a tool to generate the collision maps...

hard work... so you'll have to wait a while longer ;)
2004-02-16 22:26
bugjam

Hi WVL,
could you please add a link on the insterstyles-mainsite to the downloadable files? I am using TheWave to browse the web and download stuff directly to my C128, but TheWave doesn´t automatically recognize if a link is a file, so it loads MAIN2.PRG as a website and tries to interpret as "HTML". If there is a link, I can use the download-function.
Thanks! I am eager to have a look!
Greets,

Bugjam
2004-02-17 11:59
WVL

like this?

http://www.interstyles.nl/thewave.html
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | ... | 18 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Bieno/Commodore Plus
katon/Lepsi De
Guests online: 100
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)