Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #150735 : I Am the Flashing C64 Cursor +D
2016-10-04 03:42
hedning

Release id #150735 : I Am the Flashing C64 Cursor +D

The "discussion" in the comments section escalated quickly, so it was moved here, where it kind of belongs. The comment section should be about the release itself only, not the game that was cracked or philosophy about what should be released or not.

User Comment
Submitted by Jazzcat [PM] on 4 October 2016
Whilst the heart of the release group might be in the right place. I think this might be a bit too much also (I respect we have our own ideas on what we should release and not release, with our own reasons).

I agree that a lot of people are unfortunately (in my view) favourable on this style (albeit people not from the cracking scene); I am curious on people *in* or have been in the cracking scene and their views, will they be as supportive? Possibly people do not want to rock the boat and keep their thoughts to themselves?

This could be a broader discussion for the forums: e.g. releasing games made by members of own group, releasing CSDb games (when and when not to). Releasing games code in Basic etc. Of course people can do what they want. We all have made errors in judgement, but how to get the quality/baseline tradition back?

I guess such a forum blog would be difficult, people may want to piss on each others shoes etc rather than getting back to oldschool (whatever that used to be).

Anyway, hoping not to have a heated discussion but a healthy debate.

User Comment
Submitted by Fungus [PM] on 4 October 2016
This is not a "discussion" I am making a comment on the quality of this game and this release. It is my opinion, if you don't like it tough shit.

User Comment
Submitted by hedning [PM] on 3 October 2016
I don't agree, of course. It's a unique meta level take, and a cool nerdy game. But this "discussion" should move to the forum instead if you would like to continue. It seems more people are liking it, so your view is not universal, quite the opposite. If you have more to say about what we should do and not, please send a PM and I can ignore it in peace without disturbing the rest of the population.

User Comment
Submitted by Fungus [PM] on 3 October 2016
I don't need to read the fucking manual, this is shit and not worthy of releasing.

User Comment
Submitted by hedning [PM] on 3 October 2016
rtfm ;)

User Comment
Submitted by Fungus [PM] on 3 October 2016
This isn't even worthy of dinasours. Is this what the scene has come to? You should be ashamed of releasing this.
2016-10-04 04:05
Shine

Quoting hedning

...It's a unique meta level take, and a cool nerdy game...

I have to agree with Hedning. But i respect all other opinions too of course. It's (again and again) a matter of taste obviously.
For me it has a nerdy touch for sure.
2016-10-04 05:16
hedning

Jazzcat: I am not surprised you popped up. I am sure you loved Fungus outburst. You once asked me what I meant when I said you were patronising other sceners and groups, as you were some kind of scene priest. Well, look at your comment above, and you have the answer. Of course you have all rights to express your thoughts in this matter, but some kind of humbleness could be nice from time to time.

Look yourself in the mirror when it comes to morals. Oh, and I am sure the public loves our compiled and bugfixed version of Akalabeth (the basic game you mention). And it was fun doing. Which of course what this is all about.

And one more thing: "I Am the Flashing C64 Cursor". I love it. Zyron loves it. It's cool, and quite an unique take. A lot of people love it as you might see, and that is the reason for releasing it, of course. It's good. I am sorry you guys don't think that. I'll give you a hug when we meet.
2016-10-04 06:13
Jazzcat

Regarding Fungus' post. His view was on the game crack itself, not an outburst, but his view. I would have thought that belongs to the crack entry?

Regarding some possibilities for improvement. I am not trying to patronise, sorry if it comes across that way, not intended and would result in no value or movement in the right direction. As the main editor for "The List" and the longest editor of that release chart in the scene. I have a unique overview of the trend of cracking on C64 over the past 20+ years, the evolution and changes that have occurred and whether things have taken a dive or not.

Releasing games that are Basic, SEUCK, CSDb released or are sub-par in quality is the group's decision. With this in mind, there will be negative feedback from some people from time to time (my own group had it several times for some basic games we released in 1995).

To improve, should we had some better structure around how cracks are made? Didi made an excellent suggestion that we could have a "Mini-game" category, that only receives 1.0-1.9 Points. Of course this might lead to a flood of old type-in games being released to grab points. :D

Another idea is to reduce the points for CSDb released games or even to deduct points for those or Basic/SEUCK kind of stuff to try boost quality levels (this means less releases maybe).

Of course these are all ideas and could kick-start a healthy discussion (as mentioned in my post above that was moderated to this forum). I think my approach is quite humble and sincere, no need to get your knickers in a knot :D I am hoping we can all brainstorm and improve the cracking scene and make it more palatable, so that not just a subset of sceners get enjoyment from the cracks. Thoughts?
2016-10-04 09:14
BabyDuckGames
Account closed

I appreciate all comments good or bad, everyone is entitled to an opinion. I'm not here to rant, just to put a few things straight and I will say no more.
The game is actually written in asm, not basic, I just made it look that way. It is for a 4k crappy game competition and not the best game ever competition. I am just glad some people are actually enjoying it, its actually fun when you ACTUALLY give a try and not make assumptions from the screenshot. I tried to make it quirky and original, I think I succeeded in that !
2016-10-04 09:33
Smasher

nice discussion. it seems one of those I had with our former co-op partners. :)
we in F4CG have no internal rules(*), just be cool and you are always on the right side.
however my personal opinion, for those who care, is the following:
- games done by sceners for the scene: I don't like introlinking, so those should not be touched! only exceptions: 1) the coder pays us or shares his gf with us to see an f4cg intro in front of his game. 2) a better version is absolutely needed, e.g. the game is megacool but it's in polish, so it needs to be translated.
- self coded games: I don't like to see two versions of the same game on csdb, i.e. a pseudo-original and a pseudo-cracked one. sometimes the coder and the cracker is even the same person. the day I'll release one of my fantastic games the only version spread out will probably be introlinked with the text "presented to you by f4cg".
- basic/crap/mini/etc games: those should be released by those nice fake cracking groups
that's it. see ya at X! :)
(*)not completely true: Solar's rule "we can't have another mag other than Pirates!" is still valid :)
2016-10-04 09:53
Fungus

My comment was directed at the release. The game is shit too, but it was shit for a reason (crap game compo) so that goes without saying. I try everything, so the authors comment assuming I didn't is moot. I don't care if other people like it, I don't and I said so. It is my OPINION and nothing more, if you want to censor that and have everything be fake without honest opinions being expressed I don't know what to tell you other than I think that's bullshit.

I see an abuse of position and mod powers to remove comments and things that you don't agree with even when they directly pertain to a release. For fucks sake I couldn't even comment on an intro by case that he MADE FOR ME. I think some of you have let your position go to your heads, but what the else is new.

I love the personal attacks by the likes of Roysterini and others. Sure I make negative comments on some things, because I'm HONEST. I make twice as many if not more praising comments on other things, but as usual the net-tards only focus on the negative ones. Again, I don't attack people personally unless you start that shit with me. So Roysterini I don't give a fuck what you think of me, or anyone else who isn't in my circle of friends and aquaintences and I've made that perfectly clear.

Releasing your own software without giving anyone else a chance is also bullshit and you know it. Another one out of Per's bag of tricks. Oh yes I remember this in F4CG as well and don't think others have forgotten. Hey at least this time the authors who were promised payment aren't getting fucked over right? RIGHT? I hope not.

Don't act so high and mighty, you all pull bullshit for points in a dead fucking scene on a dead machine that no one gives a fuck about but you. At least have some dignity about it instead of lowering the bar to the levels of lamer labels from the 80s and 90s. At least we can all have a good laugh about those releases, instead of taking this shit seriously like it means something when it means shit.

/endrant
2016-10-04 11:04
E$G

It's just a matter of 1st releases. So this is the definitive destination where the scene is goin'. We were bored or just we wished to cut off some groups? Who knows. BBS are back but with a different taste. 4 targets: games label, crack, demo & 1st release. It's a game into a game. You go to a movie theatre and pay the same money to see Avatar with all the fx as well of a crap one same goes here. Points are the new fuel of life you get it for a crap release as well of the Duffy Duck Holy Grail or latest quality ones. Nobody force you to play to this game (the 1st rel carnival) or to this 4k game.
As well I think even if Fungus is a rude boy, he can express in the forum the best way he prefers, he knows how to handle bits&bytes as well his humble opinion in games quality. Love to the scene and respect to the correct & loyal oneZ!
2016-10-04 11:22
Smasher

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Fung... no, Kurt Cobain!
I promised my groupmates to chat less and code more from now on, so this is (should be) my last post. feel free to PM me "GTFO!" if you spot me online, ok?
hey ESG, Avatar (the movie of course) was ze shit :) 3 hrs to cut a damn tree...
2016-10-04 15:43
oziphantom

I think a rule that limits intro size to be less than the original by x% should be put in place.
So we don't get a 4K complete game with a 16K logo and song on the front of it.. So the 4K entries should have 256b intros max, the 16K games should have 4K intros etc or something like that to keep it "sport"

... 52 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Airwolf/F4CG
katon/Lepsi De
Dymo/G★P
Flavioweb/🇮🇹HF..
hedning/G★P
Guests online: 140