Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #197710 : Transwarp v0.64
2020-11-22 17:12
Krill

Release id #197710 : Transwarp v0.64

General Q&A thread, also report problems and error logs here.

... 162 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2021-09-19 22:37
Zaphod

shows what i get for believing Remember about anything. :) They took one look at it and gave up. "there's no room for a better loader."

After all they were wrong about their claimed bugs in Chiller. I have collected both impossible crosses. only one of them even required using another one as a platform to reach.

I really don't know how to do much more than crack and train somewhat.

i suppose you have a memory map and suggestion on which loader to drop in that has a saver too? as far as I know joe loader only loads, though it would probably work.
2021-09-19 22:49
Krill

Another IRQ loader would mainly be "better" in that it would load and save plain files via directory, which is preferable for a proper crack. Slightly increased speed would be a plus (the files to load aren't very big, though).
Currently, i don't know of any combined IRQ loader+saver that would be small enough after install, then load and save files via directory (should be perfectly possible to make one, though).
(What does the game need a saver for, actually? Savegames or hi-scores?)

For your purposes, replacing the IRQ loader would/saver probably not be required. Replacing "intro" and main program with somewhat modified Transwarp-encoded versions would suffice, as you have suggested.
2021-09-20 01:49
Zaphod

It's for saving progress. Score is whatever you've dismantled, plus 100k for destroying the level 20 base. End trip dismantles everything for a cash in, but doesn't get you the 100k.

I'd make the release if i had the needed tool. as i said, i have a 27 block lucasfilm logo called KORONIS RIFT that when ran shows the logo, then kernal loads COPYRIGHT 1985, which is the slightly compressed main program at 193 blocks.

If I had a better tool, I can probably make a logo intro that decompresses faster. this one takes between 1 and 2 seconds.

I'm also not entirely sure the save is an IRQ saver. which may help some.
2021-09-20 13:02
Krill

No worries, the encoder will be released soon. I just want to add a few more games with separate intro and main files.

I'd try not to pack the files at all, as decrunching quickly eats up the fastload speed gain. Only pack to get files to below $d000, and then only partial packing (just an upper part of the program), with an RLE packer (G-Packer V1.0 came in handy).

IRQ saver or not doesn't make much of a difference. Fitting the drive-side saving part alone is most of the problem. =)
2021-09-20 21:51
Zaphod

okay i'm trying g-packer, and dunno what i'm doign wrong. i have main, which is 206 blocks before the packing (going under i/o). it is properly saved off, because i can monitor load it, put in original disk, g 8f0 and it works.

true drive is on, traps are off, and g-packer hangs up no it, and is unable to save a thing.
2021-09-20 21:52
chatGPZ

Are you using it in PAL mode?
2021-09-20 22:07
Zaphod

no because the game i'm tryin to pack is NTSC.

sigh. that would explain it i guess.

how DO i tell g-packer to only pack enough to get it under 201 blocks?
2021-09-21 11:22
Comos

Quoting Zaphod

You can't.If you want to squeeze it further, then pack it 1st with some char packer/linker like Lightimizer/Visiomizer or try to use TLR's CLD from cbmtools.
2021-09-21 12:00
Krill

Quoting Comos
Quoting Zaphod
You can't.If you want to squeeze it further, then pack it 1st with some char packer/linker like Lightimizer/Visiomizer or try to use TLR's CLD from cbmtools.
Re-read the question. You're answering another one that wasn't asked. =)

But anyways, partial packing is manual work. This involves splitting up the unpacked file to a portion that remains unpacked, and another portion at the end of the file to pack.
The packed file will be composed of something like $0801:[BASIC line + depack code][unpacked portion][packed portion]:$d000, where the unpacked portion will remain untouched during decompression, and the packed portion will expand to beyond $d000.

That the unpacked file starts at $08f0 helps a lot here, as the depack code will fit trivially before it.
Bonus if you find a large empty block somewhere below $d000 (bitmap buffer or similar, which will we initialised later anyways). Then you can nicely pack data at $d000+ and put the compressed chunk to that empty block.
2021-09-21 20:21
Zaphod

well lemme try to think of example games for that list.

1) rescue on fractalus v2 ntsc. should be a relatively straightforward vorpal to transwarp conversion, and it only uses one directory sector to store high scores (18:2). v1 irq loads instead. actually a major relink of the full remember release of this game would be pretty nice. have it move everything but the main and the trainer screen to the second stage load would work well.

2) staff of karnath https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ssSZuNxeXg it would be improved by the blanking the screen for the load. :) It counts because it pauses to show a screen and play music.

3) Scarabaeus. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBIzd2UMTgg has an actual intro that play once, then non irq loads the main game. would be a good example.

4) many later activision games would be a good bet for this. they all show the activision animated logo sequence. Master of the Lamps, Web Dimension, etc. all the later single loads do this. but it's kinda cheating, because the intro isn't game specific. so maybe do one to prove it possible?

5) booga-boo. This has a notable intro before loading the main game. the lack of protection on the existing disk release should make this particularly easy.
Previous - 1 | ... | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Fred/Channel 4
krissz
Dymo/G★P
Menace/Spaceballs
JLD/Finnish Gold
pcollins/Quantum