Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #209982 : Transwarp v0.82
2021-10-03 18:31
Krill

Release id #209982 : Transwarp v0.82

General Q&A thread, also report problems and error logs here.

... 70 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2021-10-08 15:27
Krill

Quoting Zaphod
out of curiosity, how small would a transwarp that operates like vorpal be?
Maybe $0800 bytes. But you'd need to pass more parameters: starting track, load address, end address, file data checksum.

However, Transwarp is not intended as an integral part of a program, but ultimately as a cartridge speeder.
That's why it's supposed to be operated via the KERNAL's standard LOAD interface (load vector at $0330).
Re-encoding Transwarp files that load files themselves back to standard format shall yield perfectly working programs using whatever load routine that comes with the load vector, for whatever range of devices, original CBM or aftermarket.
Also note that Transwarp is released under GPL for a reason. =)
2021-10-08 18:09
Zaphod

okay. i have discovered a real bug. :)

sound without erstat does not leave the sid registers in the same state that sound with er stat does.

This is most likely because erstat adds the "tink" at the end, which fixes the sid registers.

This broke the lucasfilm intro, which assumes a default sid state.

the pow pow chicka chick didn't last long enough anyway. :)
2021-10-08 18:44
Krill

ERSTAT does not add the ting at the end, this is solely controlled by SOUND. My bet is on another uninitialed variable issue in that intro.
2021-10-08 20:29
Zaphod

I JUST loaded the intro with the sound version. i got NO "tink"

when i use the full version, i get the tink.
the tink happesn during the speed timing dispaly.

when sound and erstats are on, the speed rating is enabled too. that's what does the tink.

the assumption of the sid being in it's default poweron state is reasonable for the intro to make, since it' sonly ever called from it.

The tink gets it close enough for the intro to work. I don't know what the default values for the sid registers are, or how to reset them without making a sound.

maybe my 64tass is borked, but when my 6,675 byte transwarp without erstats or crypto is used, it DOES NOT TINK AT END OF LOAD.

also, sound without erstats reloads itself once.

I now have installonly, install+compat, install+compat+sound, install+compat+sound+erstats, and full. full is identical to the compiled download.

install+compat+sound is the one that is misbehaving. please compile with this combination and test for yourself. :)
if that tink does not happen, the sids registers are left in a seriously weird state that completely silences not only the lucasfilm logo but the eidolon main game itself as well!
2021-10-09 03:33
Krill

I believe it's merely a timing issue, and nothing i care to "fix".

The ting sound is done by setting a few SID registers, then waiting for about 6 video frames, then clearing the gate, then going on.
That is, it may be that the release phase is cut short by whatever the intro is doing, and with the stats (or anything else delaying executing the payload program) enabled, the intro is actually run ever so slightly later so the ting sound is (more) audible.
2021-10-09 06:10
Zaphod

the tings happen when the speed results are printed out.

when they are not printed, the tings don't happen.

i can hear two tings, one for each speed info line.

It doesn't matter how long i wait after the load finishes. I can wait a minute after loading the intro with ,8 after loading transwarp. It still breaks. so it's not a timing issue with the intro trying to start too fast.

insert disk with sound no erstats transwarp
LOAD TRANSWARP",8,1
loads with wooom and dots
reloads a second time with WOOM and dots. (not supposed to happen!)

ejectt disk, and insert the eidolon
LOAD "THE EIDOLON" ,8

(screen blank, tune plays)
ready.

no ting.
wait 1 minute
run.
silent intro.
game loads. silent GAME.

If I knew what it was doing exactly to silence the SID instantly before the tings (it's not the master volume, i tried poking that before running the intro, no dice), and how it differed from the default state of the registers, I could fix the intro, which would then fix the game. But i haven't been able to work out how to patch the loader to trip the ting when erstats is off.
2021-10-09 10:04
Krill

Okay, could reproduce the problem.

In line 3788, there is
            jsr pausreadtmr
.if SOUND
           ;sec
            rol sndplaying
.endif; SOUND
            jsr reinittimer
Uncommenting the sec should fix it.

(Without ERSTAT, pausreadtmr does not return with the carry flag set.)

I still maintain that the intro does not properly initialise variables (SID registers), though. :)
2021-10-09 17:23
Zaphod

yeah, that fixes it.

now why does transwarp double load if erstats is off and sound is on? (this only affects loading transwarp directly, everything else works)

also i figured out (somewhat) why autobooting a basic program doesn't work.

the basic pointers aren't initialized properly when doing the autoboot. exomizer sfx basic +relocating decrunch table solves that, which finally lets me make booga-boo work as an intro then load.
2021-10-09 19:40
Zaphod

so when loading a file NOT to $0801, it auto jumps to the start address when you load it without transwarp on? with a bit of testing, that's what it seems happens. problem is that's not always the start address. guess the solution is adding jmp 3 bytes before to the real start address?

hmm. could two more bytes be added to the directory entry to specify optional auto jump address? probably not, as the tranwarp signature appears to use all but 1 of the free bytes.

i've decoded what all but two of the bytes most likely are (the one above and the one below starting track puzzle me)
2021-10-10 13:01
Krill

Quoting Zaphod
now why does transwarp double load if erstats is off and sound is on? (this only affects loading transwarp directly, everything else works)
Could not reproduce this. What are the 5 options set to, which name does the Transwarp bootfile have in the directory, and what is your exact LOAD command?

Quoting Zaphod
also i figured out (somewhat) why autobooting a basic program doesn't work.
Yes, there are a couple of bugs in v0.82 regarding running BASIC programs, will be fixed in a patch release.

Quoting Zaphod
so when loading a file NOT to $0801, it auto jumps to the start address when you load it without transwarp on? with a bit of testing, that's what it seems happens.
I guess you mean booting a Transwarp file from plain BASIC. This should just execute the RUN command after loading, regardless of where the file is loaded to.

Quoting Zaphod
problem is that's not always the start address. guess the solution is adding jmp 3 bytes before to the real start address?
The solution is to make the program RUN-able. =)

Quoting Zaphod
could two more bytes be added to the directory entry to specify optional auto jump address? probably not, as the tranwarp signature appears to use all but 1 of the free bytes.
All bytes are used. But even if there were 2 more available, i'd not add an entry address to the meta data, as this isn't supported by plain .PRG files nor the KERNAL load API.

Quoting Zaphod
i've decoded what all but two of the bytes most likely are (the one above and the one below starting track puzzle me)
#define TRANSWARPSIGNATROFFSLO 21
#define TRANSWARPSIGNATURELO   'T'
#define TRANSWARPSIGNATROFFSHI 22
#define TRANSWARPSIGNATUREHI   'W'
#define DIRDATACHECKSUMOFFSET  23
#define TRANSWARPTRACKOFFSET   24
#define FILECHECKSUMOFFSET     25
#define LOADADDRESSLOOFFSET    26
#define LOADADDRESSHIOFFSET    27
#define ENDADDRESSLOOFFSET     28
#define ENDADDRESSHIOFFSET     29
#define FILEBLOCKSLOOFFSET     30
#define FILEBLOCKSHIOFFSET     31
I guess you mean the bytes at offsets 23 and 25: checksums. =)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
Frostbyte/Artline De..
The Phantom
Weasel/Padua/Hitmen/..
Wayne/Art Ravers
Smasher/F4CG