Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > Hires
2006-07-25 09:02
ptoing

Hires

Some time ago I started dabbling in standard Hires mode and i find it quite enjoyable. Also people seem to like the stuff i put up on CSDB in hires mode.

This makes me wonder why not more graphicians try to use it. Imo it is pretty easy to get a hang of and quite enjoyable.

Opinions?

... 126 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2006-08-02 07:39
Oswald

ptoing, the easyest mode for that picture is plain hires.
2006-08-02 08:13
ptoing

Oswald, I know, but that would defeat the point, them being made from the petscii set.
2006-08-02 09:01
Jetboy

Its not doable with core petsci, unles you make your own char set out of petsci (can only use 64) and use ECI (3 additional background colors). Plus you would need to change colors on rasterIRQs and maybe use sprites to colorize. A little bit complicated, and in my opinion not worth it - using plain hires saves a lot of headaches.

Anyway, did i said i'm impresed?
2006-08-02 09:23
Helm
Account closed

I'd like to see more scene graphician veterans let go of flicker pics and other overpowered modes and try something stylistically different in simple hi-res for once or twice too.

I understand the kick out of coders and graphicians making the c64 do amazing feats of graphical strength, but at some point I think the realization that the c64 has other aesthetic strengths based on it's restrictions more than it's hacked abilities should be in order. The c64 shouldn't try to be an amiga. There are so many awesome coders that it comes pretty darn close, but why try to be something you're not?

mcol with the widepixels and 3+1 colors per character will teach you more about Computer Aesthetics than converting boob photographs in some overpowered flicker mode ever will, and in my recent dabblings in hi-res I've found there's even more to explore aesthetically there.
2006-08-02 09:45
Zyron

Amen to that.
2006-08-02 09:52
Sander

Helm: i agree on this. One thing you forget is that most 'gfxians' don't have a helicopter perspective like you do. (they have a history, and most are not that passionate about it).
Plus, most of us can't deal with the restrictions in a stylized way e.g. you and Ptoing are doing. Lack of talent/experience.
Keep in mind: 90% of the scene will probably go for a 'photorealistic' Boris Valleyo instead. It meets their ideal of aesthetics better (their ideals being formed by scenehistory). It's sad but true. There's a lot of movement though the last couple of years demowise, this will eventually change the view on the Boris stuff aswell.
Nonetheless, you and Ptoing are definately opening eyes of the conservatives amongst us, hopefully it pays off.

My 5 euros.
2006-08-02 10:34
Helm
Account closed

Most graphicians are passionate about the scene only because of nostalgia and not because of what the machine itself stands for aesthetically. Same with the Amiga, where the best pixel technicians occured (Made, Danny, Lazur, so on) there was so much interest because the Amiga was cutting edge. When most of these people switched to Photoshop (as that was cutting edge then), they made -in my opinion- mostly bad or uninspired art. What changed? What changed was the limitation of the machines. They were working on Computer Aesthetic without knowing it. The discipline of hand-pixelling, of fixing your color ramps yourself, not just blur tool, dodge tool and photo tracing. You can pixel a c64 mcol pic today on a PC and still respect and understand that methodology and the aesthetic it feeds. The c64 is no longer cutting edge. But it is magical.

I think the c64 is amazingly potent. Widepixels, the BEST DAMN 16 COLOR PALETTE EVER, restricted modes, character limits. All this stuff should be in the art. Reminding the user that he's not seeing a picture that could be anywhere else than on the c64.
2006-08-02 11:09
Bizzmo
Account closed

You can't go wrong with "lizards and ladies" though can you? *ahem*

I personally enjoy the challenge posed by multi-colour pixels, the limite palette etc, and must admit that I'm asking myself why I never tried hi-res...
2006-08-02 11:19
Jetboy

> I think the c64 is amazingly potent. Widepixels, the BEST
> DAMN 16 COLOR PALETTE EVER, restricted modes, character
> limits. All this stuff should be in the art. Reminding the
> user that he's not seeing a picture that could be anywhere
> else than on the c64.

It does not work like this. If you have no restrictions you can make any picture you could do with restrictions. Not vice versa.

Besides - for me, as for many others - demos scene is about doing impossible, not about limiting yourself to restrictions. Though i've always been more of a coder than artist.
2006-08-02 11:36
Helm
Account closed

Yeah if you have no restrictions you can photoedit/retouch that picture of boobs+dragon so much easier. That's what I call innovation.

Working within restrictions is a challenging environment that promotes smart solutions to problems and forces you to be aesthetically strong.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Acidchild/Padua
Didi/Laxity
Airwolf/F4CG
bOOZElEE
niallquinn
hedning/G★P