Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Nicron ! (Registered 2024-05-21) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > Double Screen Compo Voting
2011-05-08 15:10
v3to

Double Screen Compo Voting

Okay - all entries are in and it is time for voting.

Take your time and check the pictures properly. If you like to check it on a C64, I'd recommend to turn off the volume, because music tends to alter atmosphere. Now here come the rules:

---
CHOOSE 3 FAVORITES - NO MORE - NO LESS
SEND YOUR CHOICE VIA PM TO ENTHUSI OR ME
OR BY MAIL TO << COMPO[AT SPAMSUCKS]C64PIXELS[DOT]COM >>
PLEASE DO NOT FORGET YOUR HANDLE/GROUP OR NAME
---

Deadline for voting is June 7th 2011 (know it is a long term but c64pixels-visitors are watching random)

Good luck to all contestants !

---
Looking Outward by Celtic, code by Zielok
Additional content according compo rules: Music
Format: MultiColor

---
Monroe 6569 by Diggr
Format: Charmode

---
Asteroidmine by Grass, code by Cruzer

---
The Raven by Dane
Additional content according compo rules: Dark red and dark grey are laced

---
CARGO by Twoflower, code by Cruzer
Additional content according compo rules: Music
Picture format: MultiColor, 4-colors, Colorscheme is matching Charmode

---
A Kind of Magic by Yazoo, code by Axis
Additional content according compo rules: Music, scrolltext (can be disabled by pressing spacebar)
Picture format: MultiColor

... 195 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2011-05-09 18:58
Deev

I should add that when I say "all" these entires, I mean the straight copied ones, of course!
2011-05-09 22:35
Sander

Quote:

It's like learning to ride a bike in a way. Pure converts is a bit like sitting in your dad's bicycle basket. Retouching a scan is more like riding a tricycle. Copying something by hand is like riding a bike with support wheels. So get off the tricycle and give that bike with support wheels a try.

Beautiful metaphore indeed. And i completely agree on this point of view.
There's a whole spectrum between work from e.g. DATA-LAND (spectrum title screen conversions) and original artwork from e.g. Electric.
2011-05-10 08:40
v3to

this weeks motto: oliver, you have created a monster
(sorry for the quote, steve)

discussing the wired entries is good and hopefully a long term eye opener. you can blame me in person that there have been no exclusion in the rules for this - though i barely believe that i.e. workstages would change much (bzzz... subconsciousness mode... breakpoint2010... heidi??). take a closer look at recent major compos and you will see that this is a case of ignorance for years. also i do not believe that this would have solved the low attendance, which is the other big problem here. btw i requested the originals for tagging on c64pixels (obviously nobody noticed). except dane's, guess why.

what we have here is a competition with limited attention. thanks to this there are two original artworks, two elaborate copies and two 1:1 converts. the voting is about selecting 50% of them. if this still requires a compromise in your eyes, you may weight your choice.

please support the sceners who spent their free time for this competition. please vote.

ps: i have deep respect for you, celtic, facing the tribunal is anything but granted.
2011-05-10 09:14
Yazoo

you did not create a monster :) the compo just revealed once again, that alot of ppl want to go the easy way these days. and when i check out some of the votes, alot of other szeners dont seem to care.
now we had this discussion again - which is good. we should have this discussion more often... when i remember the big gfx-competition @ x'10 party, i think more than 50% of all those pictures are based on scans with good or not so good touching up.

what i hope is, that the voters and commenters at csdb (and compovoters ofcoz) will be a little more sensitised, and award those - who put alot of their time into creating something special on their own.
because when votes are low, and comments are less friendly for pure scans - they will more and more dissappear i bet.

so i am more pointing my finger at those, giving high votes for obvious scans than towards the "artists" making them. you guys are the reason for 1:1 scans being existent. its part of human being to want the easy way with getting success (not cool, but just normal i guess.)
so i wish the voters and commenters would make them less successful.

i mean, check out the votes for some of those "pictures"... some of them are really high.

and i dont say that, because i want anyones votes for my pic, just because i spent like 25-30 hours for it. i say this, because i would like to see the szene change a bit (which wont happen most likely).
when i want to see a most perfect copy of a photo i wouldnt need a c64 at all - i could just stick to my pc.

respect to all those, who keep spending their time with real pixelling.

just my 2 cents.
2011-05-10 10:55
celticdesign

isn't it pretty "lame" if a graphican do scanning/digitizing pictures!?! any artistical work should be unique and not be a more or less simple copy... hmmm ok, unless you do a well improved version (the same counts for music).

however, i adjust my votings now... so yazoo should be the true winner of this compo :-)
2011-05-10 11:31
Mace

I don't think it's lame in all cases.

Celtic, Diggr and probably Dane too, did quite some hand pixeling on top of the conversion to get it right.
You need to get rid of colour clashes and bad dithering, after all.
Also you need to put some effort in the scan to get the colours right, especially when the colour range is narrow.

This too can be quite a job.

However, but using C64PIXELS as the compo medium, a lot of people (including myself) didn't notice that the creators mentioned their sources.
So quite a lot of us thought they were cheating...

This is what triggered this whole dicussion, I think.
2011-05-10 11:56
Digger

@Mace: My pic even has the original author tag on it ;-)

I (sadly) think the golden era of hand pixelled gfx is gone forever due to at least two reasons:

1. Life is faster – people are spending too much time playing with useless apps on their mobiles hoping to make their life actions more efficient (= waste of time and illusion IMHO but that's another topic) ;-)

2. Effort/reward ratio – no way you can hand pixel 2 screen pic in 12-14 hrs, even with limited palette and sophisticated pixelling tools (brushes, dither box, etc) – and it took me similar time to code the editor (http://c64.blog2t.net/slixed). I mean it's A LOT of time in REAL LIFE (yes, we're no longer in our teens).

3. There are great conversion tools (i.e. Timathes), which we haven't had in late '80s/early '90s – you HAD to pixel by hand (or use "analogue" conversion methods)

Now, how about this idea (for the future):

Each artist uses his own "picture to pixel" mapping techniques, they're just a set of rules set in their brains, developed during pixelling process.
Now if we somehow manage to take this rules out by comparing original vs pixelled images, we'd be able to create a template unique to each graphician.
In theory it is (or it will be) possible to write i.e. a Phyton script (Mr. SID come on!) to convert any image into pixels using i.e. Hein or Carrion's pixelling style.

So I could create my original artwork in PhotoShop and then convert to C64 in a best possible way (preserving hand pixelling quality), it's even possible to breed a few styles (using genetic algorithms) to create hybrids (i.e. Mermaid/Archmage).

Sounds too scary? ;-)
2011-05-10 12:03
Celtic
Administrator

But in the end is briliant that we are having this discussion. And i guess that besides some very awesome compo entries, this competition has been also good to get into this discussion.

@Veto: i dont feel like i am facing a tribunal. Most people posting here are people whom i have a great personal relationship with. and this might be a motivator to try and get rid of those tricicle wheels :)
Also, i think it is important to be honest, thats why i asked mermaid to make the pic fader from one to the next, to show i am not much different from Dane's.

Also asking for wokrstages is not something worth doing. I could spend some extra time downgrading my pic, adding it like workstages. that will just not work.

However, in the end i have decided i wont enter any compos anymore with my work. I think that will be the best for everyone.

This however will f.e. impact future competitions by c64pixels. I hope the people who are making the original masterpieces will compete next time, coz with those the amount of entries would be 2, which is just very sad.

at last i would like to say: thanks everyone for making this one an adult conversation without getting pissed or angry. :)

2011-05-10 12:12
v3to

Quoting Mace
However, but using C64PIXELS as the compo medium, a lot of people (including myself) didn't notice that the creators mentioned their sources.
So quite a lot of us thought they were cheating...

This is what triggered this whole dicussion, I think.

agree for this competition. but in fact i do not remember a single competition where somebody mentioned the original or references. it is kinda compo culture.
2011-05-10 12:17
Digger

I agree with Celtic, very nice discussion here :)

I think the next gfx contests will have "original artwork only or dissq" clause. So that was the "last" time ;-)

What I like about us and scene getting older (aka dying) is that we find new ways to break the boundaries of the breadbox machine. Same hardware for nearly 30 years buy hey! And I think that's what made me back (although it's a very time consuming hobby).
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | ... | 21 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Matt
psenough
Acidchild/Padua
Unlock/Padua/Albion
psych
Kickback