Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Make deleting screenshots impossible
2021-12-20 08:33
Fred

Make deleting screenshots impossible

I noticed that once in a while screenshots are deleted from entries by a moderator without replacing them. I think this is bad.

It's bad because:

- It's not clear why it is deleted. Seems like the moderator might think the colors are bad, the size is wrong or whatever the reason is

- You see for some entries that the uploader is trying to upload the screenshot again and again and the moderator is deleting it again and again without communication. We should motivate people to help improving CSDb and not annoying them.

- Having no screenshot is worse than having a not-so-good screenshot

Please make it impossible to delete screenshots on CSDb. Only allow replacing screenshots.
With this the moderator can inform the user to replace it and tell what is wrong with the current screenshot or replace it himself.

... 9 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2021-12-20 22:12
Copyfault

Deleting a screendump and "hoping for the best" does not sound *that* clever, no matter how "harsh" you want it to work, sorry!

So, I tend to...
Quoting Groepaz
Just add a standard message that always says "screenshot does not match the rules <link here>". Problem solved.
...praise this proposal from Groepaz. Just let some logic send an automated message as this is (in most cases) the little *ping* the uploader of the incorrect screendump needs.
2021-12-20 23:31
TheRyk

Fred, I totally see the point, as this used to be my view some year ago.

And yes, some automated solution already preventing uploading an inacceptable ratio would make a lot of sense, Copyfault & Groepaz.

As Moloch said, mere notification alongside with removal was found useless, as intended reactions were the exception.

So until that fully automated solution is here, we currently keep "hoping for the best", namely entry creators(!) doing the right thing in the first place.
2021-12-21 09:03
spider-j

Quoting Groepaz
Just add a standard message that always says "screenshot does not match the rules <link here>". Problem solved.

this.
2021-12-21 09:08
Fred

I think the problem is that you now only allow screenshots made with Vice only. Even I was not aware of this specific resolution. Using screenshots with e.g. CCS64 gives a resolution of 384x296 where the rule according to the upload screen is:

The image size should be 384x272 including the border. (No scaling, or filters like CRT-emulation, please))

There is nothing wrong with those screenshots made with CCS64, at least not in the view of most CSDb users, I think. Not everybody is using Vice. And what about PAL/NTSC differences?

Maybe we should also force people using a specific color palette? I see screenshots with really bad colors and those are not deleted. In my point of view this is worse than a deviated resolution.

I think CSDb is not clear during the upload how to make the screenshot, at lease for some users apparently. If only Vice gives this specific resolution, then state that you MUST make screenshots with Vice only.

I personally think the strict rules about resolution, scaling, filter, etc are useless since old uploads are also not according these rules. I hope you will not delete the screenshot of those old uploads, only replace them.

Also I think we should not force a specific emulator making the screenshot.
2021-12-21 09:31
Krill

These points are all valid, and have been brought up many times before.

Screenshot minimum size
How to make a proper CSDB screenshot in VICE?
Screenshots

This is one of the many recurring thread topics in here. :)
2021-12-21 12:26
Copyfault

Quoting Krill
[...]
This is one of the many recurring thread topics in here. :)
What about introducing a recurrance-factor ;)? If it exceeds a certain threshold, the demanded point must be implemented without further discussion. mekeepsondreaming
2021-12-21 13:52
chatGPZ

seems there needs to be another standard message that says "nothing wont be implemented never because perff"
2021-12-22 15:23
Frantic

Don't forget to add: "Any questions can be directed to Groepaz."
2021-12-22 15:34
chatGPZ

Good luck with that!
2021-12-22 16:10
TheRyk

OK, we've got it, some topics pop up again and again and ain't solved yet (just btw this ain't so very rare on other platforms), and still it's a tradition to exchange views.

As 'Tis the Season of tradtions, here's another one: After all meaningful points have been made and groepaz had the final say, a topic is traditionally closed.

We're going to consider your suggestions, seriously, no promises, however.
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Guests online: 103
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)
4 Edge of Disgrace  (9.6)