Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Jedfox ! (Registered 2024-05-28) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > "BBS Graphics"
2024-01-07 05:02
Raistlin

"BBS Graphics"

So, apparently BBS Graphics is different to PETSCII in that only a portion of the PETSCII charset is used.

However... why is BBS Graphics a "release type"? Every other graphic format is classed as "C64 Graphics" and with a subtype specifying the format (multicolour, hires, PETSCII, FLI, MC+sprites, etc).

Shouldn't BBS Graphics follow the same pattern? It could be a simple change - there are currently on 96 BBS Graphics releases. I suspect that several of those aren't BBS Graphics at all, actually.

... 22 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2024-01-07 20:12
Jazzcat

As it is a derivative of "PETSCII", shouldn't "BBS GRAPHICS" be removed entirely?
2024-01-07 20:53
hedning

Quote: As it is a derivative of "PETSCII", shouldn't "BBS GRAPHICS" be removed entirely?

That is what we are discussing. :) Or to keep it for SEQ files from actual BBS:s? But still sorted under C64 gfx in that case.
2024-01-07 21:06
chatGPZ

How is it different from many other release types though? Half of them are derivatives from others and shouldn't be there in the first place in exactly the same way :)
2024-01-08 04:15
Raistlin

So just to tell you one thing that I planned for C64GFXDb … since I’m grabbing all the screens from releases, I can do some automatic analysis on them… to determine hopefully more information about the type of graphics… hires and MC bitmaps are the easiest. Those with VIC trickery are harder - though maybe FLI and such will be detectable.. PETSCII and BBS could also in theory be detected.. if BBS is useful… but looking at the BBS releases, some are clearly not BBS at all.

I can use what I’m doing with my database to feed back to CSDb to get the entries here fixed up (might need admin help as annoyingly many releases are locked).

Could also be useful to generate a list of the CSDb screenshots and to highlight which don’t have borders and shit - even going as far as to add, expand or contract borders on screenshots where possible (I want to do that for my site anyway - so it’s just a matter of passing those shots back to CSDb at some point).
2024-01-08 06:58
Jazzcat

Quote: That is what we are discussing. :) Or to keep it for SEQ files from actual BBS:s? But still sorted under C64 gfx in that case.

Yeah, don't see any value in keeping "BBS Graphics", seq files can also be log files taken from CCGMS and the like and would more fall under "Misc." - focusing on modes, this is all under text mode and should be covered simply by PETSCII.
2024-01-08 11:39
hedning

There are only 89 entries marked as "BBS Graphics" so it would be an easy job to change them.
2024-01-08 11:40
hedning

Quote: So just to tell you one thing that I planned for C64GFXDb … since I’m grabbing all the screens from releases, I can do some automatic analysis on them… to determine hopefully more information about the type of graphics… hires and MC bitmaps are the easiest. Those with VIC trickery are harder - though maybe FLI and such will be detectable.. PETSCII and BBS could also in theory be detected.. if BBS is useful… but looking at the BBS releases, some are clearly not BBS at all.

I can use what I’m doing with my database to feed back to CSDb to get the entries here fixed up (might need admin help as annoyingly many releases are locked).

Could also be useful to generate a list of the CSDb screenshots and to highlight which don’t have borders and shit - even going as far as to add, expand or contract borders on screenshots where possible (I want to do that for my site anyway - so it’s just a matter of passing those shots back to CSDb at some point).

If you find a screenshot without borders, always update them.
2024-01-08 13:11
macx

Keep in mind that "bbs graphics" can shift between lower- and uppercase on the fly while beeing shown - e.g. the big opening screen by Skyhawk on my board. This is something which is "programmed into" the graphics similarly to animations.

Boar's Head Tavern | byob.hopto.org:64128
2024-01-08 16:47
Raistlin

Quote: There are only 89 entries marked as "BBS Graphics" so it would be an easy job to change them.

There was 94 or 96 of them when I started the thread so someone’s already updated some.
2024-01-08 16:49
Raistlin

Quote: If you find a screenshot without borders, always update them.

I just worry about getting shouted at for using the wrong palette… Pepto? Colodore? Which do we use..? I assume the mods’ rule will be: “anything goes if some f***er uploads a screenshot without borders!”?

I don’t want to talk about IFLI screenshots - that’s a whole hornets nest for another thread :-)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Twoflower/ΤRIΛD
BroneCk/Samar^BooM!
Elder0010/G★P
The Syndrom/TIA/Pret..
encore
curtcool