Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Questions > Compo voting
2020-01-08 21:32
Kickback

Compo voting

I'm pretty sure this has been asked before, but I'm just curious, and don't mean to open dead horse.

Maybe viewing of voting during a compo should be turned off.
The reason being, is (ofcourse) the downvoting crap, that has been going on for years.

If CSDB doesn't want to fix it, then just turn it off (viewing) during a compo, and have it where folks can only vote.
Once the compo is over, then it can be turned back on, and everybody is happy :)

Just my 2cents
Kickback

... 12 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2020-01-09 16:17
Smasher

Wertstahl: CSDb voting is part of scene drama. scene drama exists since day1.
but I wanted to tell you that you are my hero and I love all your productions :)
2020-01-09 18:05
ws

ZeSmasher: i raise my glass (of wheat beer) towards your general direction! :-)
2020-01-09 18:36
Kickback

As I said before, this wasn't meant to open old wounds, but seriously it 2020, this shit needs to be fixed.

Why not just fork lift the voting out of csdb, and do as we did back in the day. Create a prg with the vote rankings in it

As how we get the votes, not sure there, but shit it worked back in the day.

@Zyron: I totally agree with you, but unfortunately we still have some 50 year old sceners in diapers!

Just my 2cents.
Kickback
2020-01-09 18:59
Mr.Ammo
Account closed

Quoting Kickback
The reason being, is (ofcourse) the downvoting crap, that has been going on for years.
Downvoting does not exist. People are merely expressing their opinion. If you don't like it, then don't enter the compo.

Btw, CSDb uses a weighted average for the CSDb rating which should fix the crap you believe exists.
2020-01-09 19:09
Mr.Ammo
Account closed

Quoting hedning
Why even have the function to view people's votes.
It's called transparency.

I don't think you can see what other people vote (except for the suckers who turned off anonymous voting), you can only see how many votes there are on which score.
2020-01-09 19:25
Smasher

Quote:
I don't think you can see what other people vote (except for the suckers who turned off anonymous voting), you can only see how many votes there are on which score.

oh, I'm a sucker, and proud of that.
2020-01-09 22:36
hedning

Quote: Quoting hedning
Why even have the function to view people's votes.
It's called transparency.

Why is that a good thing? Why not only show the sum of votes and amount of votes? To tend to the constant-moaning-about-down-and-upvoting problem, I mean. It is triggered by people that think that everything below 7 is a downvote. If they can't see that they would perhaps calm down.
2020-01-10 01:37
Kickback

Quote: Quoting Kickback
Downvoting does not exist. People are merely expressing their opinion. If you don't like it, then don't enter the compo.

Btw, CSDb uses a weighted average for the CSDb rating which should fix the crap you believe exists.

** Please forgive my post here **

Sometime you have to stoop down to certain people's levels.

Downvoting to me is, if you have product and someone votes a 1
Get it?

Now, unless this is a intro creator kit, and people are panning it off as there own work, then yes I will agree.

But, if this is clearly something a person put a good amount of time/ into (and time is very little these days with kids) and someone votes a 1.

It's not so much about the voting with me, which I could careless. It's more so about the respect for the person who put their time/effort into making the product.

And, as to entering a compo. I enter for the fun of it, and could careless about who votes for it.

This is a hobby, and will remain as such :)

Thanks again!
Kickback
2020-01-10 09:45
Flotsam

I don't know how CSDB's implementation of weighted average exactly works (I presume numbers differing wildly from general consensus are given a smaller weight), but I can see problems in CSDB compos based on voting since only a few people give a vote to all attending productions. So, let's imagine there are two identical productions on a compo. Person A only gives a vote for production 1 and person B only gives a vote for production 2. Person A has a habit of using full scale (1-10), but person B is the kind of lovely human being who loves everyone and everything and only uses scale 9-10. They both think the production they are voting is ok'ish, but person A votes 5(middle) and person B votes 9(his/hers low to mid). With pretty low average vote counts in CSDB this might make a noticeable difference.

Downvoting of course sucks, but even if such phenomenom doesn't exist (I sure hope it doesn't) the compo results are at least somewhat random.

Solution: Don't give a f*ck. Who cares. I personally don't give much weight on scores, but I do value every comment, be it positive or negative. This is about having fun, sharing, being social with like minded people. Anonymous votes mean nothing.
2020-01-10 10:28
Didi

CSDb is not made to host competitions, I know. But people are lazy and competitions where the voting was done outside resulted in very less people voting at all. So for my competitions I prefer to live with the few cowards doing strategic downvoting and encourage all others to make them effectless by placing a lot of fair votes against them.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
cadaver/covertbitops
zscs
tlr
Mr. SID
t0m3000/ibex-crew
redcrab/G★P