Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > MixSID - stereo SID board released
2016-08-02 19:33
hedning

MixSID - stereo SID board released

MixSID 1.0 released. See: http://henning-bekel.de/mixsid/

What do you guys think about this? Yay or poop? He charges €25 - shipping included, but you need to assemble the kit yourself.

... 20 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2016-08-07 11:00
Snabel

Ok, this is only an ethical opinion, but to me it does make a difference:

MixSID: All opensource, public available PCB files and everything. The project seems to be driven by enthusiasm.

SIDFX: Closed and secret. The project seems to be driven by business.
2016-08-07 14:18
MagerValp

Quoting Snabel
SIDFX: Closed and secret. The project seems to be driven by business.

Oh hell no! At that price point, with those features it's pretty clear that they're being produced at cost, possibly with a tiny margin so they don't risk losing money doing it. There's no way in hell they're getting any meaningful economic compensation from that project. To claim that it isn't driven by enthusiasm is patently absurd, they've obviously spent a lot of time and effort into designing the ultimate stereo sid board.

Open source is great, but as Henning writes above to make it meaningful you have to make design compromises, such as using through hole components and simple board designs.

keyman64 is awesome btw, it'd be great to use it with the SIDFX as well.
2016-08-07 14:36
Snabel

Quote:
they've obviously spent a lot of time and effort into designing the ultimate stereo sid board.

Hmm, I bet Henning used a lot of time and effort also, but does not expect to be paid by the hour :) He did it as a hobby, most likely because of enthusiasm.

The few times i asked about the steep cost of the SIDFX, i was answered that "we used so many hours to develop". To put it in a cheeky manner, you actually pay for their education :D Personally i would see it as free experience because enthusiasm.

No matter how it is viewed, the complete cost of SIDFX is way higher than the PCB + parts + manufacturing altogether. But as i stated initially, not everyone might share my opinion.

That being said, i still preordered more than 1 SIDFX, and i will also order MixSID.. out of my own personal enthusiasm, and to have the possibility to support development of new hw options.
2016-08-07 15:12
c0zmo

Quoting GI-Joe

But there is imho one more advantage of the MixSID: the control of the MixSID-Hardware over Henning´s Keyman64. It controls the MixSID (and other stuff like rEPROM-Kernal/Charset-switcher) completely via Keyboard-macro´s @runtime without crashes or whatever. So you can switch through all available MixSID-Modes and more by using your own personal macro-Key-config. No drilling holes in your cases for switches or other mess.

To be fair, I'd like to point out that the SIDFX will also most likely be controllable by the Keyman64. AFAIK the switches control TTL-Logic, so that should be no problem.

We made a video that showcases the Keyman64 and the MixSID, for those who are interested:
Keyman64 Keyboard Interceptor
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Yogibear/Protovision
Krill/Plush
Guests online: 82
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)