Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Turrican 3
2004-08-29 14:46
Wile Coyote

Turrican 3

Has anyone played Turrican 3? if so, what do you think :)

I've had a quick go, not had the time to have a proper go just yet. So far though i have mixed opinions. Credit where credit is due, the play does play like Turrican and Turrican 2. The graphics on level 1 seemed too much like Turrican and the 1st big (mid level) boss turned out to be a big fist, which was a bit of a let down, as after all, there is a big fist as a mid level boss during the first Turrican (although on the Turrican 3 the fist is animated).

The collision seems somewhat iffy at times, there appears to be no in game sound fx? and the screen glitches alot when lots of enemies appear on screen (although i was using an emu, so maybe this does not happen on real c64).

All in all, the game does seem like good fun. I will need to play some more to form more opinions /wec :)

... 59 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2004-08-29 23:01
_V_
Account closed

I haven't seen a lot of bitching on this thread. If we were bitching about this game, we would have said completely different things. We have the respect for the 7 years, and AEG's commitment. But I agree with Cruzer as well and I stand by the things I have remarked. It's not a lot of fun when you jump into an area which is empty, only to see 6+ monsters pop up out of nowhere (and damaging you in the process)! Note that personally, I'm not looking at the other bugs, even (slowdown, illegal characters, disappearing sprites, ...). Only the gameplay matters for the time being.

Also, in the subsequent 3 games I played, I have been teleported into the background twice. However, you can get out by moving to the right. Turrican will slide through the background until you can move freely again. At least, that's how I managed to get out - on both counts.

I do like the learning curve, however. The first world is easy - enough to get you into the controls, the second is a bit harder (suddenly, the time limit becomes important), and the third world requires a combination of reflexes and knowledge about the aliens. You do have to learn the attack pattern of the bosses in 3-2, and the confrontation in 3-3 is rock hard. Can't wait to dig into world 4 =).
2004-08-29 23:59
Nafcom

ok, I have found in 2-2 the way how to get stuck _into_ the wall. Fall down and let you destroy while you do. Your new hero gets positionated directly into the wall, then time is up and you get positionated 3 mm lefter from it, *sigh*

At least I have used that "lost" game to rip Jeff's masterpiece out of memory :P

Ah and 1-1 features 6 (!) UPs. I have entered 1-2 with 9 lives, that rocks :D
2004-08-30 07:30
The Guardian
Account closed

Quote: Ok, I guess there was some kind of missunderstanding on Willow about the intro on the 3rd disk side of Turrican III release. Sorry About that! But hey you are free to download the "Return of Darkness" intro/demo from Breakpoint and enjoy it!

@All people which are bitching around the bugs in Turrican III, I can only say, what a lame behaviour! Nobody said that Turrican III is perfect, but realize that it took 7 years of hard work to do it. Also realize that AEG was not payed for it, so the only motivation was to present a good game to you (please keep that in mind, next time you start argumenting).

[SPOILERS AHEAD -- READ FURTHER AT OWN RISK]

perhaps it would help you guys to actually play the whole game through and especially read! the endscreen upscroller. that should clear up a few things from AEG's side, like his awareness of bugs, sources to be released, etc.

if you do not have the patience or skill to play the game fully through to the end, you may aswell just 'cheat' a bit, and jump directly to world/level 5-1.

here's how:
- insert disk one.
- start computer.
- load game up as usual.
- from intro, start a game.
- lose all lives and get game-over message.
- do not continue when asked so (you will return to intro).
- insert disk three.
- start a game again.
- you're now in world/level 5-1 (with correct graphics).
- complete world 5.
- read scroller.

you can not run from the fact that the bugs and the more-often-than-not occasional flickering overshadows this otherwise excellent game. Turrican3 is simply missing that last 5% effort that would have made all the difference in the world. it's not about development time, or that it is 'free' game. (missing) Quality-Assurance comes to my mind.

a buggy game is, after all, and quite simply, a buggy game. period.

then again, perhaps that's just my opinion and me being totally wrong/ignorant, since Im merely seeing and saying things from an endusers point of view.

finally, and according to AEG, it is not likely he'll be touching the game ever again. so your only prayer might aswell just be that somebody might have enough luck to be able to pick up on the sources once they are released, and compile a bugfixed version. or simply rewrite the (bugged) levels to comply with c64 hardware capabilities; you cant really show more than 8 sprites per rasterline, atleast not easily. ;)

and ah yes, the quote at the beginning was included as this post is also in response to one of gALAKTUS' earlier posts in this thread.
2004-08-30 09:31
Nafcom

Ah, I found a nice bug/way in 2-2 with level boss destroying.
Stand on the very left, get destroyed, then you are kind of invisible hit space for firewall twice (I had 0 in the status bar but it worked anyway) and then the two firewalls keep stuck on the left side of the screen, move left, duck and enjoy how the boss get destroyed when he moves left and touches the 2 firewalls on the screen :)

In 3-2 the whole screen shakes heavily if there are too much sprites, not only the status bar.
And the motto in 3-3 is "may the graphic bug scroll with us".
Weeee, 3-3 is very fast and very heavy!!! But nice :)
2004-08-30 11:58
Wile Coyote

When i posted up a few comments with regards to Turrican 3, i didn't want it to turn into a whole *let's spot how many bugs type thing* - as i am more interested in the levels (graphics) and the big bosses etc :)
2004-08-30 13:40
Nafcom

Quote: When i posted up a few comments with regards to Turrican 3, i didn't want it to turn into a whole *let's spot how many bugs type thing* - as i am more interested in the levels (graphics) and the big bosses etc :)

so sorry, then :-/ O:-)
2004-08-30 15:01
Wile Coyote

It is amazing what Aeg has achieved. I've played the game some more, level 2 looks really very nice, and the music reminds me of the Last Ninja for some reason.

I had this idea, imagine a Turrican 4, with each level created by a different scene artist, that would be interesting :)
2004-08-30 16:35
Graham
Account closed

wile coyote wrote:
"I had this idea, imagine a Turrican 4, with each level created by a different scene artist, that would be interesting :)"

the problem would be the character graphics: as aeg told me and i also experienced similar things, most people are not able to handle character set graphics. they are unable to produce graphics which doesn't look like normal 4 color charset gfx, and they also have great problems in having only 256 different chars but yet make the graphics not look like patterns repeating.
2004-08-30 17:02
Wile Coyote

Graham wrote:
"the problem would be the character graphics: as aeg told me and i also experienced similar things, most people are not able to handle character set graphics. they are unable to produce graphics which doesn't look like normal 4 color charset gfx, and they also have great problems in having only 256 different chars but yet make the graphics not look like patterns repeating."

Well, they could take a look at Turrican, Turrican 2 and have ago. With a bit of thought and imagination anything is possible. Also, with the thought of only having to create 1 level, they could give it there all and squeeze every last pixel to the max ;)
2004-08-30 17:27
Graham
Account closed

that's exactly what aeg did. in the end he had to draw the graphics himself because all graphics he got looked 4-color and had patterns repeating all over. believe me, it's quite hard to draw such graphics and make them look nice and colorful + you also need some technical understanding of the character mode.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Sh0ckTr00per/Hokuto ..
Ghost/Quantum
Bieno/Commodore Plus
Fred/Channel 4
Knut Clausen/SHAPE/F..
Martin Piper