Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > A question for the BBS peeps using the Ultimate 64/II+ UCI Kernal
2021-08-04 13:36
Paladin

A question for the BBS peeps using the Ultimate 64/II+ UCI Kernal

For the first time yesterday I finally setup my Ultimate 64 modem emulation to login to some BBS's the good old fashioned way. I also enabled the UCI Kernal included with the new 3.10 firmware so I can download files that are larger than what would fit in a standard empty .d64 or .d81 file.

I tested everything out including downloading some zipcoded files. I saved the zipcoded files directly to the flash drive in the hopes that I could also extract them using a native c64 program such as Zip-Code Disk Unpack 2018 Beta 1 by Alwyz as it seems to support zipcode to .d64 right from the c64 itself using standard Kernal routines which I assume the UCI Kernal is using. Either the program isn't compatible with the UCI Kernal or I'm setting the program up wrong.

I tried extracting the zipcode files to d64 using drive 10 which is the USB filesystem but the Ultimate64 locks up shortly after starting. I then tried putting a blank .d64 into an emulated 1541 on drive 8 and extracting the files from drive 10 (USB IEC Drive) to the emulated blank disk in drive 8 and while the program acted like it was extracting and finished, the resulting .d64 file contains nothing but garbage entries in the directory. I'm assuming I'm not setting up the paths right. I used the examples for the F3 and F5 settings from the picture at Zip-Code Disk Unpack 2018 Beta 1 so maybe those need to be different or maybe there is an issue with the program and the UCI Kernal.

Is there anyone out there that has done this successfully on the Ultimate64/II+ side using the UCI Kernal drive? Is there another native Commodore 64 program that can convert the zipcode files to a d64? I know I can do this easily on my PC but where is the fun in that :P

Thanks
2021-08-04 18:48
Count Zero

Not even caring to test but just from the screenshot all appears to be obvious, no? (I only have sd2iec and pi1541 here anyhow.)

I assume that Ultimate64 implements the root directory and mount commands just like sd2iec? Otherwise you surely would have entered them differently? :)

From the junked d64 result I read that on starting with the source directory you see the root of SD/USB and the zipfiles and on target directory a mounted preformatted d64 with 664 blocks? Is that right?

You could also test by creating zipfiles from a known disk and check the resulting output - Alwyz program looks like it handles the IEC stuff basically to be compatible - which usually is fine.
2021-08-04 23:18
Paladin

Thanks for the feedback. That's correct, on the source I can see the zipcoded files on the UCI Kernal USB filesystem drive 10 and the destination I have a blank d64 file showing 664 blocks free on drive 8.

I'll try as you suggested and try to create a zipcode set from a disk and see what happens. As far as the way the Ultimate 64 implements the root and mount commands, I'm not sure and will dig deeper into that.
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
csabanw
iAN CooG/HVSC
Smasher/F4CG
Andy/AEG
Laurent
iceout/Avatar/HF