Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Plogue Chipsounds is released.
2009-10-15 09:49
neilbaldwin
Account closed

Plogue Chipsounds is released.

I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned this yet.

Plogue Chipsounds is a VSTi/AU plugin that emulates several different old systems (including NES/GB/C64/Atari 2600). It's been a couple of years in the making and they seem to have gone to great lengths to make it as accurate as possible.

http://www.plogue.com/?page_id=43

http://ploguechipsounds.blogspot.com/

I've just bought my copy and will be giving it a test soon.

I've been quite excited about this for some time but it raises interesting discussion I think:

- what does this mean for purists who think you should only use the original hardware?

- does it mark the death of the "chip sound", making it available to the masses with none of the limitations/work-arounds we are so fond of working with?

... 21 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-10-18 21:22
1BM

Quote: use buzz as a host it's amazing and free!

and it never crashes.
2009-10-19 01:18
chancer

Neil, when did mac stop using the vst format then? it's been a long while since I used a mac, I'm surprised to hear that.

the thing about it , a lot of the sid chip or general chip sound things are pc only and weren't ported.. odo synth , errm unknown64 and as someone mentioned the re:fx one.

there has been a few Nintendo NES ones etc also, and an AY one which is around

http://www.preromanbritain.com/ymvst/
for example.

I have a few commerical synths I have, which have c64 inspired sounds, dreamsynth and syleth1 , but I don't think these things are a 100% match for the real thing.. maybe it's like older synths, as the chip heats up a bit the characteristic of the sound changes.hhmm
2009-10-19 06:19
Linus

Quote: and it never crashes.

LOL LOL LOL
2009-10-19 08:42
FATFrost
Account closed

erm yeah buzz crashes but so does my c64....

you can use vst and dx plugins and it has full trackers with effects.
2009-10-19 09:12
Linus

I know Buzz by heart and it's great and all, don't get me wrong. But I'd never dare to call it stable :) But then again I am not up to date regarding latest native machines, DX and VST adaptors. I vividly remember it to crash like hell on a lot of systems. We had to save our files every 5 minutes and never dared to use it for live gigs.
2009-10-19 09:55
neilbaldwin
Account closed

Quote: Neil, when did mac stop using the vst format then? it's been a long while since I used a mac, I'm surprised to hear that.

the thing about it , a lot of the sid chip or general chip sound things are pc only and weren't ported.. odo synth , errm unknown64 and as someone mentioned the re:fx one.

there has been a few Nintendo NES ones etc also, and an AY one which is around

http://www.preromanbritain.com/ymvst/
for example.

I have a few commerical synths I have, which have c64 inspired sounds, dreamsynth and syleth1 , but I don't think these things are a 100% match for the real thing.. maybe it's like older synths, as the chip heats up a bit the characteristic of the sound changes.hhmm

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that Mac's had stopped using VSTs.

It's just that I use Logic and it's native plugin/instrument format is AU. You can "wrap" a VST inside an AU plugin and use it that way.

You can, of course, also use a sequencer that uses VSTs natively such as Cubase etc. on Macs too.
2009-10-19 10:55
SIDWAVE
Account closed

We've run off topic now :D
2009-10-19 23:06
FATFrost
Account closed

hehehe, live gigs? meh... i have no shows lined up, but on another note Buzz is being re-coded again by Jeskola and isn't too bad now, but i do get your p0int Linus. ;) i just hate to agree with anyone. ;)
2009-11-01 06:53
wacek

Hey, looking for someone who dared to do live gigs with buzz? Here I am ;)

If this digression is still of any interest to anyone, I used to do my _experimental/idm_ (and I stress that!) live-acts with buzz (under 'kalma' alias), it was quite fun. Of course did it only on 100% tested files, some years ago on OLD buzz exec, it worked quite ok. Surely, most problematic were switching between bmx'es (that what the other laptop with some pad sounds is usually for, you know ;D).

I experienced one spectacular crash, which caused the buzz to freeze playing one 2s loop - fortunatelly, since this was an idm live-act, the audience didn't notice, heheh.

Ancient times. Nowadays stability is key, so I use the mighty Ableton Live for all my club acts :) Works like a charm. Yet new buzz is still my main tool for composing/producing.
2009-11-01 13:09
dalezy

i played live using buzz a number of times before switching to using the c64 instead. it wasn't exactly fun due to the known random crashes wich consist of mainly white noise that's being thrown right at the audience.
i stopped using buzz altogether now, as renoise seems to be the best thing on pc for me. =)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Didi/Laxity
eryngi
Flexman
Skate/Plush
MCM/ONSLAUGHT
Guests online: 123