Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user juanjosescg ! (Registered 2024-04-16) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > Requests > Last call for VICE MacOS devs
2018-08-03 21:24
Compyx

Last call for VICE MacOS devs

For the last time I'll be asking if anyone with any MacOS knowledge can step up and help with VICE development.

Right now the whole MacOS mess is in danger of being completely ignored from now on, or even deleted.
What we require are (obviously) devs with knowledge of MacOS; knowledge of either SDL2 or Gtk3 is nice, but not required, we can help with that.

Basically, my VICE mailing list post says it all:

Hello fellow devs, and hopefully people who know something about MacOS,

After constantly running into horseshit when it comes to Gtk3 on MacOS (and MacOS in general), I'm once again asking for people with knowledge of MacOS (ie not me) to step up and help out with the Gtk3 MacOS port.

There are a lot of issues to fix with Gtk3 on MacOS, and my knowledge is very lacking when it comes to MacOS. So as it stands now, Gtk3 on MacOS is stillborn and will remain so. I'm already working on Gtk3 on Linux and Windows (another system I despise and which we also don't have any active devs for), so I'm personally done with MacOS.

So in short: unless we get some devs who actually want to put in some work (complaining on IRC about how shitty this or that is, and then doing nothing about it, doesn't count), MacOS users can use SDL2 and like it, though apparently make bindist for MacOS SDL doesn't work either :)

Most likely having completely wasted my time and bandwidth, sincerely,

Compyx

2018-08-05 16:51
ChristopherJam

I've already responded over on #vice-dev, but yes, will see what I can do.
2018-08-05 17:15
JackAsser

Just to be clear even though the text says it all. This is a gtk3 problem, not VICE. So be ready to dig into horse shit of layers.
2018-08-05 18:12
ChristopherJam

Yes, I'm well aware of that :-/

Still, I'd quite like to use gtk3 for a few other projects myself, so it'd be nice to get to the bottom of whatever's fucking up.
2018-08-05 18:28
Compyx

Thanks for the replies. I know you guys already spent some time on the VICE MacOS stuff.

A lot of issues are indeed Gtk3 related, or rather Gtk3-on-Mac related. But without people with some actual Mac knowledge we won't be able to track/fix the issues properly.

My frustrations with my lack of knowledge of MacOS (and it's weird UI) led to a somewhat negative post.

I do wish to have a proper UI on MacOS, just like on Windows and Linux (and even *BSD). So any help would be appreciated. Do keep in mind that although we always appreciate anyone helping with even a single patch, we really need people that are willing to invest some time to also add code/fix bugs in the future, to keep the MacOS UI up-to-date and running properly.
2018-08-05 19:23
JackAsser

Quote: Yes, I'm well aware of that :-/

Still, I'd quite like to use gtk3 for a few other projects myself, so it'd be nice to get to the bottom of whatever's fucking up.

The best, but of course hardest approach, would be to actually implement GLSurface for Gtk3 on mac os, then VICE could use the same render strategy for all platforms. But it seems far away to have that kind of support in Gtk3 (on macos) unfortunatly.
2018-08-05 19:30
chatGPZ

right now the rendering isnt even the biggest problem. that is "just" slow - but at least it works :)
2018-08-05 20:59
Mirage

I'm curious, is Gtk3 a GL abstraction layer that's going to keep on working? As far as I know Apple are trying their best to move osX over to Metal/2 completely?

Like I said, I'm just curious. If the answer is too long or noone replies I'll google it myself.
2018-08-05 21:49
JackAsser

Quote: I'm curious, is Gtk3 a GL abstraction layer that's going to keep on working? As far as I know Apple are trying their best to move osX over to Metal/2 completely?

Like I said, I'm just curious. If the answer is too long or noone replies I'll google it myself.

Gtk3 has nothing to do with GL per se. GTK is a UI-framework including toolkit that is platform independent and handles input, widgets, timers and all sorts of thing you need when creating desktop applications.

It's an extremely well chosen library to use to minimise the work of maintaining several UIs and instead just focus on one, that runs on all major targets. Imo it was either GTK3 or QT that were viable. VICE team chose GTK3.

Gtk3 unfortunately is a bit so so on mac OS and really needs a helping hand.
2018-08-05 22:57
Compyx

Gtk is indeed the best choice for VICE, since VICE is written in C (ignoring resid) and most of the devs either don't know C++ well enough or plain dislike it.

Personally, if VICE had been a C++ project, I would have gone for Qt, I've used it lot from Python. If there's any codebase that can actually use OOP, it is UI code. Gtk is also very much OOP-ish, but actually inheriting from any Gtk "class" is an unholy mess.
So my code uses composition and a whole bunch of "methods" and "properties" implemented in C to provide some useful "classes" to build the UI on top of.

Still, using Gtk isn't always smooth, it gets progressively worse from Linux/BSD to Windows to MacOs :)
2018-08-06 07:17
oziphantom

Yeah OpenGL is now flagged as depreciated on macOS/iOS/tvOS/watchOS so at some point OpenGL will just fail to init and programs will just crash.

... 19 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
hedning/G★P
-trb-
t0m3000/ibex-crew
sln.pixelrat
Slaxx/Q/HF
Twilight/Excess/Arcade