Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Votes for Inspiration
2013-05-21 22:12
Magnar

Votes for Inspiration

Well, where do I go to find inspiration?

The answer is mostly to CSDB (or Youtube).

So, lets see... Magnar Harestad

To be honest, how should I get inspired by only 15 people voted on my music skills? I mean, does not any else care about my music released in demos as Wonderland XI, We Are New, Lash, Sidelined etc?

If only 15 people has taken the time to vote, then why should I put efforts in composing new sid tracks for new demos? Is it really worth it?

I would rather have a 1000's giving me a score of 1, than 15x give me a average score of around 8. At least in the first example, I would know I sucked at composing. :)

Cheers

... 28 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2013-05-22 21:17
TheRyk

This whole thread reads more like "Inspiration for Votes" :)
Votes matter only as much as you allow them to matter to you.

My vote 10 is older (though maybe not a great deal) than this thread, but imho(!) well-deserved, after I went through parts of your HVSC folder.

Read through the comments on the DOTY entry, so many people praising such a first of all visually rather spectacular release explicitly for the as well excellent music must be enough positive feedback to motivate you.
2013-05-22 21:58
metalux

Quote: It's not that I think csdb votes are the truth.

It's not that I think what people votes matter.

But people being involved matters. If I don't get any real feedback, why continue?

Because, even if I enjoy doing it - I realize it consume so much of my little spare time left after kids are put to bed and wife smiles happy.

Therefore, I am right now in a "down" period where I would actually like to see some more feedbacks. Be it votes, or comments like here in this thread, or comments on the productions.

Bottomline is that if we have 50 000 views on youtube on a demo, then I am pretty happy with that. But if none gives comments on the music, then I am not so happy.

It is about feedback. If none, then inspiration to continue making SIDs will die. Time would be better of doing something else.

I know I am not as good a musician as many other SID wizards out there. I am a average composer for sure. It's not that I aim to get the high votes. But connecting and feedback is important, where people actually taking time to vote provide more inspiration to do better and improve.

Or - Maybe I was just very drunk yesterday...

Hey Magnar. I gave you feedback that I loved that SID :) for what it's worth :)

I had it on repeat in my car stereo from and to work.
2013-05-23 16:29
SIDWAVE
Account closed

MAgnar, you are doing the same mistake that i was doing for many years.

brought up, self taught on c64, making music, to believe its to be the best composer, become rob hubbard, then become galway, then becoem jeroen tel, to get same level of fame and recognition as masters of the sid.

Magnar, its a mistake.

Every single sid you have created is a masterpiece Magnar!
Every single sid i have created is a Masterpiece Magnar!

I do music to do my best and try new things.

Youre on the wrong way magnar, just do your best, do your dreams.

forget the votes.
forget to become someone, you can only become yourself.

did you know i am voted #4 of all ?
who know in what mag and when this happened ?

my votes certainly doint show this Magnar.

music is personaly taste Magnar, it dont matter you make a mozart perfec tune, people who dont like mozart, wont like your music!

Just make inner dreams true, votes are useless because of too less of them.

if votes shall ever work, all members of csdb shall be forced 2 times pr year to cast votes on everything, and if they dont, they get inactive account and cannot longin.

its the only way that things get "graded".

and i belive its a good idea.
Groepaz - ? it is a good idea. do that, then we get people to vote.

Magnar, yo umade shitty tunes like shit, and you made very good, and also masterpieces, what i hear from you, is that you are not centered and dont have develped a personaly style to the point where you just shine like your inner self.

you cannot do this, as long you hunt fame, and to "make something like jeroen tel".

Magnar..

You can never become Jeroen Tel!
you Can only become yourself.

and if copy Jeroen Tel, then what are you ?

Wake up Magnar, you have the talent.
just be yourself.
2013-05-23 16:34
SIDWAVE
Account closed

and MAgnar, Jeroen Tel is very math, and not to downgrade JT in any way, but basicly what jeroen does him to be jeroen, is he is master of shifting scales all the time.

JT play a scale, shift to another, back and forth, around in 3-5 scales. and he is master at this since he did it always.

this is his trademark.

find your own trademark Magnar.
learning scales, and train to swith them... then its one step closer to be JT..

Just follo winner dreams of self realization.

brilliant demos are here on csdb that are fvery simple programmed, but are pure genious demos anyway.
2013-05-23 16:36
SIDWAVE
Account closed

if you want to be really many levels better than you think you are, then take real music lessons, learn to play a real piano.

then it all becomes easy.

"selftaught, i wil master the c64, never take lessons, i am selftaught and therefore the best!"

an illusion...

there is always a master, to learn from.
find him.

and be sure to know, just as might have occurred in your educations whatever they are: at some point, the apprentice can beat his master.

but its not about beating people...
that the mistake all we 15 year old selftaught guys did.

we think we could become gods.

its time to grow up and jump to level 2 magnar. :)
its all inside you, just open up to let it come out!
2013-05-23 18:22
celticdesign

well, there are plenty of marvelous tracks with far to less votes and lack of comments. recently i get my inspiration exactly out of this. i try to become better for more attention ;-)... oh and i regret that i stopped my music activities for that long period (around FOCKING 20 YEARS!). i hope i don't fall asleep again. at least do it for fun and your own. i am looking forward to listen to your new sids and keep on the good work!
2013-05-23 18:26
DRAX

I follow you in a way, Magnar. I myself have always wondered why I am the musician that have gotten the most number of votes... What does that mean??? But what I extract from your comment is that people should be more active in having an opinion and that you care about feedback - just as I do...
2013-05-23 18:44
Bitbreaker

Well, it is the usual phenomenon. Some people are hyped and others that might even be way better but less wellknown get lost in the big mass of productions. It is like with modern music, there's the hitlists with the stuff to please the masses and there's fecking cool shit from pretty unknown people hidden under that pile of that you only notice when you dig after it. As the ration of dumb:intelligent is around 99:1 it is obvious that the genius stuff gets way less attention :-)
2013-05-23 18:44
Stone

@Magnar: After we released Another Beginning which had a lot of new Prosonix tunes in it, Ole wanted feedback on his tunes, so we released both his and mine as standalone music demos and got a lot of feedback that way. A lot more constructive and motivational than some arbitrary number from anonymous voters, I think.
2013-05-23 19:48
chatGPZ

Quote:
Some people are hyped and others that might even be way better but less wellknown get lost in the big mass of productions.

at this point everyone must vote for mr. Kjell Nordbo (RIP)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Ray Manta/DataDoor
Fungus/Nostalgia
Guests online: 105
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)
2 13:37  (9.7)