Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Problem transferring discs to d64/PC
2012-01-25 11:28
Dano

Problem transferring discs to d64/PC

Maybe you can help me/us.. Some week ago weasel and i were trying to transfer stuff from my discs to D64/PC. It took us quite a while to get Warpcopy64 + 1541UI running actually. First the codenet program didn't start because of not finding the ethernet stuff from the 1541U1. We fixed that by using SoundDemon's TASS Cartridge.

Now we have the problem, that we have to switch off the floppy after each warpcopy of one disc(side). Because if we continue without switching off the floppy it will produce errors after errors on each read. So we transfer one side warp, switch off the drive, change disc(side), switch on the drive, transfer the other disc(side, switch off the drive....

Is this a known bug? Is there a way to avoid switching off the floppy after each read? Normal transfer is just too slow.. ^^

... 19 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2012-01-27 16:32
ΛΛdZ

Try to ask on the forum for 1541U - im sure I recall some
problems with 1541U and WarpCopy... but well I never tried
WarpCopy with my 1541U1 myself as WarpCopy and RR+NET is
working so great.

So hunt the forum of 1541U or ask the question there aswell.

http://www.1541ultimate.net
2012-01-31 12:53
Dano

@bugjam: well, but when will there be a tool to fast and easy transfer stuff via 1541u without network and stuff?!

@mdz: i doubt it's a problem related to 1541u actually, but i can ask there, too. i had hoped graham would know where that error/bug is coming from. i has been working at weasel's with maybe a earlier firmware (1.6 i guess) and windows xp. we don't have a rr-net, so we sadly can't compare.

i have no clue why after easy fast-iec read the second disc has errors on the last blocks of each track.. *sigh*

a hardware reset drive button is a workaround, but no clue..
2012-01-31 22:05
wacek

Quote:
problem ist, that most software on pc doesn't support autonaming of transferred discs. always changing filename by hand when tranferring more discs on a go is no option.

Sorry to say, but I think the best option is to look for an old cheap pc/aptop with parallel port. I am doing some big transfers right now and my setup looks like this:

- Dell D620 laptop with docking station
- XA1541
- FreeDOS Live-CD for booting into DOS
- StarCommander

It works almost flawlessly, especially with damaged floppies where WinXP + USB cable just stopped transfers in the middle and sometimes required to reboot WinXP to re-establish connection with the drive.

And of course, StarCommander has the disk autonaming option, including an option with disksides (disk001a, disk001b etc).

And the speed compared to the USB version... Dear Lord :)
2012-02-01 07:59
zscs

FYI, for those who wants to use their new generation computers/laptops. (Well, it was a nightmare to transfer my old stuff to PC...) I don't have any parallel port but I tried to make a working connection by using WinXp (and also Win7) + USB to parallel cable + XM1541 cable. I could not get any connection, did not work at all and it took me a lot of time and effort... The main reason of the problem probably the instability of the connection and the unconfigurable USB->parallel interface (I could not modify the transfer type to ECP/EPP, etc. and change other settings). In addition to this, if I tried to boot from an USB drive to DOS, system could not recognize my USB->parallel interface, so this (theoretically) possible option also failed. :/ I was getting more and more nervous...
Finally, I ordered ZoomFloppy and I could manage it to work within a half an hour and still works as a dream. Software that I use is a modified version of OpenCBM (dedicated to ZoomFloppy). ZoomFloppy has a parallel output as well, so you can use it with NibTools, etc.
2012-02-01 08:31
Dano

does opencbm have a feature for autonaming transferred d64 for mass transfer? didn't know that starcommander has such a feature.. ^^

have been looking at zoomfloppy quite some time now. need to get one myself or talk weasel into getting one.. :)
can somebody confirm the transfer speed and the usability for mass-transfers?

still i'd most prefer a 1541U builtin solution. no need for pc and after transfer you can easily copy your stuff to pc.

2012-02-01 11:28
wacek

When I was using OpenCBM (and I did for quite a lot of time) there was not such option. That's another reason I love the DOS-based setup so much now :)

And nowadays you can buy old post-leasing Dell desktop PCs in Poland for 20 euros? So it really makes sense ;) You need one with parallel port and USB, that's it :) Alternatively, you could go for something like this http://allegro.pl/laptop-commodore-c-286-lt-okazja-i2084904439... and be true to the brand name, hehe ;)

But I understand your point, Dano, when you have 1541U it's just so damn obvious you should be able to use it efficiently for this purpose!
2012-02-01 18:51
BYB

Quoting dano
i actually can't pinpoint the problem. the first side reads normally, after you change sides the software reads like 5 tracks then repeadedly throws bad blocks. different disks, different drives, different commies..

I'd some similar problem earlier. When changing the "image" the 1541u takes some time to write back the actually used one.
You can see the green LED on 1541u is low-green, changing to fat green means "image" you choosed is ready to use.
However, there are a lot of copy-prox out there, why don't try any other. The great advantage is you can use all tools made for sixtyfour.
2012-02-01 20:02
Dano

actually we need something that is capeable of handling mass-transfers of discs. not just creating one d64 by hand at a time.

i wish there was something on the 1541u that quite write a disk directly to a d64 and just requires a space press at a time.. nothing more.. :)
2012-02-01 20:14
BYB

sure, creating d64-images is intensely a mess. I'd made a zip-packet containing blank d64-images only numbered from 0000-9999. Extracting those to sd-card is saving much time. When disk-images are copied later onto the images, just let run D64-Lister over it.
Somehow you already have to change 5.25 by hand or pressing space? ;)
2012-02-01 20:49
King Durin
Account closed

I know that CBM-Command (see the link under my name in the sig) is not the fastest solution available, but I believe I could rather easily and quickly modify it to add a batch images build mode that you could use in conjunctiontion with a mass storage device such as SD2IEC. If there's demand for such a feature I'll get on it. Please note that it takes around 6 minutes to create a disk image through JiffyDOS enabled drives and computer. Without JiffyDOS is considerably slower as CBM-Command doesn't use any custom loaders.

King Durin aka plbyrd
http://cbmcommand.codeplex.com
http://www.paytonbyrd.com/BlogEngine.Web
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Guests online: 83
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)
2 13:37  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)
4 Edge of Disgrace  (9.6)