Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Votesystem FAIL
2009-11-18 06:54
jailbird

Votesystem FAIL

OK, so why the vote system still exists, especially after all the devastating things it produces, is absolutely way beyond me.
It's rarely a representation of an objective, summarized opinion of the community. Either it's a playground for immature ding-dong fights I've had the luck to experience the last time in kindergarten, or it's simply a place for good old fashioned circlejerks.

I second Scout. At least I second the notion that this isn't really a place where I'd like to spend my spare time.

The constant pop-ups of topics considering the defecting vote-system is clearly a sign of something not working here the way it should. And yet, the cry ups keep getting ignored. For years.

Captain obvious is here to present you two options. One is to finally fix it, the other is to remove it for good. The latter one would be probably the best for all of us. And I think I'm speaking in the name of 99% of CSDb users here when I say that. Time to realize we are not IMDb with hundreds of millions of users, where a similar voting model works (more or less). Here, it's flawed and it simply fails on many, many levels

Pretty pretty please. Dudes who make and administer this site. Your work is fucking damn appreciated. I'd suck of all of you without a single second of consideration.

But for fucks sake.

... 187 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-11-20 16:05
jailbird

Quoting Oswald
"one would still be able to say "wow great stuff" and then give a 1"

there it fails :)

Right I realize that. I'm basing this on a conjecture that if a vote is connected to a comment, it would inspire people to vote more fairly. Of course that doesn't means downvoting will stop suddenly, but perhaps we'd lose a few. Not too much of an improvement but it's maybe better than nothing?

Quoting Oswald

I think V-12's proposal is the best: "creator of entry can select if people can comment or/and vote for his release"

I suggested exactly that three effin years ago, I could even quote the exact thread, what makes you think it will be implemented this time? :)
2009-11-20 16:54
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Quote: Quoting Oswald
Let's not get carried away and forget that this site incorporates also the work of the uploaders & the work need to create the content thats presented here or the money donated to keep the server running. ;)

Spot on.

What about those who were putting out releases on a regular basis in the last 8 years and perhaps thought they're more interested in spending their time with creative stuff rather than populating the database? Its a low number compared to the top submitters, but I think I did my best with about 300 submits, still I'm not sure why I'm not as well entitled as an "active user" by Groepaz, although I have contributed to 100+ new releases since CSDb is online.

OK but enough of whining, here's an actual idea. :)

It'd probably need refinement, but what about letting to vote only for those who made a comment on the release?

First of all, since a user would have only one possibility to comment, it would incite a thoughtful reaction and by that, long discussion-threads on release pages would vanish and/or would be moved to the "CSDb Entries" forum, their intended place.

Secondly, it would hearten the objectivity of votes as you'd be forced to state your opinion before a vote, or vice versa.

Comments like "commenting just to vote" would be simply moderated out.

I don't say it would solve the whole "downvoting" problem, as one would still be able to say "wow great stuff" and then give a 1, but seems to me as a small step in a better direction, without infringing the anonymity of those who prefer it. Of course the main problem with it is that it isn't encouraging the increase of votes, but we'd never have enough votes for good stats anyway, so no big harm here.

I like your idea, at least i can see the point in it fully!

Thats kinda how pouet works, which i like, except it cannot be used directly for ranking stuff. (too less votes to build real good numbers from)

at pouet you choose thumbs up/down, and then have a comment to 'explain' your view.

this seems rather easy digestable to me, you get more honest or thought over comments, to me it looks that way anyway. PLUS its public. so when i stand in the crowd and hear "what a bucket of crap!" i can see who said that, and directly say back "why ?" or "fuck off, get a life!" etc.

like i said, that way is encouraging more REVIEW type feeedback, than typical human "I JUDGE YOU!" feedback - and i just think that scene is a family, and we should encourage this nasty human treat away from us, because at any party i was too, we never ever have this kind of behaviour.

often human way to use a medium like internet where you can post whatever the hell kind of insanity on, anonymously, makes it all a big no brainer, where as when people take responsibility for their actions, they gain more respect and positive productive things are naturally enhanced.

the way a website works, has EVERYTHING to do with how its gonna be used.

if it encourages some behaviour by design, this behaviour will grow. (this is the kindergarten syndrome)

my whole crusade here and being agressive about it, is that i want to raise awareness of how the users create the system, and are not slave to some stiff computer tech which force them become bitching and moaning idiots, about how the system wont do as they desire it to do.

Look how user groups on facebook, protested against stiff rules and conducts by the 'system' whoever runs facebook, to preserve as much as possible of their possibility to not be slaves to the system. and they win, because somewhere inside facebook leaders are real humans, who are aware of these issues.

well well...

we all want the same thing, there is just so many ways to achieve it.
2009-11-20 19:37
fade
Account closed

delete the voting option. fixed!

You can't compare Dutch Breeze to Edge of Disgrace and it's stupid to even try. I don't care if you're on the internet. Maybe everybody can get 10 votes to a category, if you make an eleventh vote, your number ten loses it's point.

Shitstirring belongs on facebook, we are all brothers here.. sure we are all the red haired stepchild, but brothers none the less. Also, cocks.
2009-11-20 19:56
Linus

I would love to have another option in the "profession" select field that appears after hitting the vote button:

"Everything"

Makes up- and downvoting so much easier.

Also, selecting a group of people and cast the same vote to all of them would be great aswell.

Just my 2 cents.
2009-11-20 19:57
Stainless Steel

I'd like to note, that proposal was my idea.
2009-11-20 19:58
Linus

Just the first part of it. Get a life!1
2009-11-20 20:13
Joe

I do like the many views upon the voting system here, but especially Jailbirds views which means that more should do their job in actually participating,
voting and occasionally giving their viewpoint, anonymously or not. But 5-40 votes for standalones is ridiculous if the download amount reaches 100++
and the comments are just as many.

Part from voting and talking I think people should release more.
2009-11-20 23:05
JackAsser

Quoting Joe

Yep...
2009-11-21 09:33
jailbird

Quoting Joe

Rite. I'm all for that. But is the current situation helping that cause? Especially, how it is helping the growth of the scene, when newbies come here and see (or experience in first person) the whole bullshit around the voting system.

And please don't tell me that none of you ever felt utterly annoyed (or at least slightly confused) when someone was nonchalantly placing a "1" to all of the releases you and/or your friends spent days, or weeks, or months, or years of work. That, without a single word of explanation.

Right, that's absolutely the best way to motivate anyone.

And then there are those who are hardly releasing anything, and defend the whole idiotic system by telling to ignore it when someone puts a huge turd infront of the face of those who are actually regurarly doing something for the scene.

Oh but wait, you release actively but still manage to ignore the shit? Well good for you, but clearly a lot of other sceners around here can't pass that with a calm gut. Just use the damn search and see for yourself how many topics there are about the flawed voting system, and no, definitely not always opened and commented by the very same people. Should I list all of them here to make a point?

Personally, I just got fed up.

And here's an idea TDJ once brought up: anonymous voters would be able to vote only in the range of, say, 4-7. Althought, I don't even know why I'm bringing it up, none of those really care who could actually do something about it.

I still think that the best solution is to dismiss the system as in its current state it has no real practical use, and it is not helping anyone, at all. And all the more the opposite.
2009-11-21 10:51
TDJ

Quote:
And here's an idea TDJ once brought up: anonymous voters would be able to vote only in the range of, say, 4-7.

For the record: I came up with idea back in april 2002. So for those wondering why I haven't contributed to this thread until now: I've given up.
Previous - 1 | ... | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | ... | 20 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Swallow/Censor Design
grasstust/Hoaxers
cba
zscs
shoenix
Scrap/Genesis Project