Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Critikill (CK) ! (Registered 2024-09-19) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > DemoBase 64
2004-06-16 20:45
SIDWAVE
Account closed

DemoBase 64

Optic and me talked about a demobase project on IRC.

I think it's time now, while disks are still working.

Let's assemble a team, and divide the work, and get crackin'! :-)

?

There is a lot of collectors, and I heard Graham has a big one.

Join!!

... 27 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2004-06-17 10:25
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Blackdroid: The goal seems to me, that we put everything into one place, from where it can be sent to a C64 and/or launched in an emulator.

Gamebase, and some other frontends can do that.

Collecting is a matter of sending all stuff to one place.

For those who don't want a big collection, they can get stuff here at CSDB.

I'm sure some script injections into the database can effectively do things very fast, once the credits+screenshots have been made.

Wvl said last night that he had gotten a copy of Graham's stuff.

Also last night, Cyberbrain and I both downloaded 731 disks from www.theoldcomputer.com - I already found many things that weren't in any of my many CD collections.
2004-06-17 14:10
Graham
Account closed

i dont think a demo database in the way of csdb is very useful. there's thousands of demos out and it sucks to click madly around just to download one of them. i go for a cd based database because all demos are instantly available there and every demo is max. two mouseclicks away, no internet connection needed.
2004-06-17 14:12
Graham
Account closed

rambones wrote:

"Blackdroid: The goal seems to me, that we put everything into one place, from where it can be sent to a C64 and/or launched in an emulator. Gamebase, and some other frontends can do that."

i have done such a frontend already. there's more than 3200 demos available, all tested etc.
2004-06-17 14:42
SIDWAVE
Account closed

That sounds good Graham, and it's also the best to have it on disk/CD.
2004-06-17 18:36
iopop

My question was all serious and now when Rambones described what he wanted, a frontend, it sounds like something similar to what Graham have done.

I still think CSDb with the combination of a auto sorted ftp, depending on the state of the database, is the way I want it. The usual collections problem, everybody has their own system. The discussion about having a organized collectors group have been up here before.

But then again, I mostly find the story behind the demos more interesting than the demos themself. So, just ignore me...
2004-06-17 20:06
SIDWAVE
Account closed

My last reply was totally irrelevant, so i deleted it.

So is anyone interrested in this or not ?
2005-04-15 22:50
Optic
Account closed

Heh, can't believe i've missed this one :D Although i never expected to find it in a forum-section dedicated to CSDB-matters...

Yes the original idea jan and i talked about was to have a Gamebase64-esque type of deal...

A CD or a DVD containing atleast the following:

a modified Gamebase64 database file.. this would contain the demo-specific information (Who did it, Screenshots, how many parts, date/year of release etc...)

The Collection (ie. demos which are in the database) this would contain tested and fully working versions of the demos.. since the internet is full of stuff that is corrupted completely of half-working.. and to gather a collection which isn't plagued by duplicates for example (what's the fucking point in having the same demo/intro in 6 differently packed filesets sfx/zipcoded/lynxed/whatever, when you only need to use .d64 in 99.9% of the stuff.. it works and preserves the original filenames and directory-arts for example..)

Since Gamebase64 has possibility of using HVSC.. you could listen to the tunes used in the demos with.. say sidplay2/w forexample with a click of a mouse, and launch the demo in your preferred emulator with another..

We never planned it to make it as a CSDB-replacement or even a compliment, far from it... just a project to make the lives of the people who love the demos and intros of the trusty old C64 a bit more pleasant and easier... a handy collection of demos on a disc to be used wherever you are.. regardless of internet connection..

What i'm trying to do here(and hopefully a few others :D) is to summarize the fruits of the individual collectors labour out there into a single, comprehensive and uniform package for all to enjoy

ok, it's 2 o'clock in the night and i'm tired, rambling on and my brain is stuck in a loop, so i'll shut up now.. but if there are questions that still bother you... don't hesitate to ask :)
2005-04-16 16:30
Matt

am I interested?
fuck man yes I am!!

one request though, please sort the demos by groupname and not by demoname, cos that drives me nuts! 8)
2005-04-17 13:47
Optic
Account closed

Matt:

I thought of arranging the demos/intros to individual folders by groupname, so don't worry... I hate the demoname first approach too..
2005-04-17 23:25
SIDWAVE
Account closed

The biggest problem with this, is that people work on their own, different schemes. We have talked and talked, and people are still building their own private collections, instead of doing it together. There has been arguments, how to name files etc.

That is ALL up to the task-group who will finally do it.

I feel since some month the whole thing has stalled.
It's a combination of lack of time, and unwillingness to get to an agreement how to make it.

Step 1 should be to discuss, which fields should the database have.

There's no reason to go anywhere before this is nailed down.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Fred/Channel 4
Acidchild/Padua
jmin/F4CG
Guests online: 80
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)