Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Votesystem FAIL
2009-11-18 06:54
jailbird

Votesystem FAIL

OK, so why the vote system still exists, especially after all the devastating things it produces, is absolutely way beyond me.
It's rarely a representation of an objective, summarized opinion of the community. Either it's a playground for immature ding-dong fights I've had the luck to experience the last time in kindergarten, or it's simply a place for good old fashioned circlejerks.

I second Scout. At least I second the notion that this isn't really a place where I'd like to spend my spare time.

The constant pop-ups of topics considering the defecting vote-system is clearly a sign of something not working here the way it should. And yet, the cry ups keep getting ignored. For years.

Captain obvious is here to present you two options. One is to finally fix it, the other is to remove it for good. The latter one would be probably the best for all of us. And I think I'm speaking in the name of 99% of CSDb users here when I say that. Time to realize we are not IMDb with hundreds of millions of users, where a similar voting model works (more or less). Here, it's flawed and it simply fails on many, many levels

Pretty pretty please. Dudes who make and administer this site. Your work is fucking damn appreciated. I'd suck of all of you without a single second of consideration.

But for fucks sake.

... 187 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-11-18 09:22
jailbird

Oswald: like it or not, a collective, average opinion of a diverse community leads to a more or less objective score. We are not voting YAY or NAY here, but have a scale from 1 to 10. Or, where do you live at the moment, in a cult of some kind?

Personally, I don't have problem with negative critics, but dude, anonymous downvotes without a single explanation are everything but negative critics.
Your usual attempts of discredit everyone who don't share your opinion, nevertheless the hiding of your votes speaks to me about your social problems and criticizing habit more than anything else. It's probably not me here who has a problem with accepting other people's opinion.
2009-11-18 09:23
JackAsser

Quote: Ah, this time of the year again? :)
I vote for:
Each CSDb-scener has alist of 5 (or 10) all-time-fav demos/gfx/crack/tools (or just releases).
Those are public :) [though that is not necessary for this system]
The Top 10 of each category is generated daily based on the overall number a release appears in one of those lists.
So if 100 people have DeuxExMachine in their top5 this is better than a demo that only 90 people consider their personal top5.
This will give weight to old releases as well and nothing will/can be downvoted...
I see no point in differing between VERY bad and VERY VERY bad like it is now...
We need a BESTOF and that's all...
Downvoting will then be equal to NOT having a demo in his/her own list ;-)
Now go and advertise this idea as I post it every time there is this topic boiling up...

Count me in!
2009-11-18 09:25
jailbird

Quote: <Post censored by CSDb staff>

If something is clearly not working, what the fuck should we do with it? I said, the OTHER option. The first one is to fix it. One thing I see, you're certainly not helping the cause with your utter bullshit.

Enthusi: awesome idea
2009-11-18 09:44
Frantic

There are always more than two options in life, right? :)

My only opinion on this matter is that I think the voting could work better in terms of usability. It is quite annoying to end up at some other page, than the page with the release you're voting on, after you've clicked some vote-button or so. Then you have to go back again. This makes me, at least, avoid voting sometimes. (If this holds for other users as well, it might be a way to get more votes, if someone cares for that. :)
2009-11-18 09:49
Oswald

"Your usual attempts of discredit everyone who don't share your opinion"

"hiding of your votes","your social problems","criticizing habit","your utter bullshit"

Excuse me, who's discrediting who here?:)

there's nothing to fix here imho. I'm tired of the cry babies who act like primadonna's when they get a bad vote and all this "I dont like to be here because I got a downvote". Its fuckin childish and ridiculous. You could get a downvote even if there would be no hidden voting, and you could have an unworthy thumb down even in Pouet's system. All system will have space for that. So just live with it, and laugh on it, dont take it so fuckin serious, like most do.
2009-11-18 09:50
Oswald

Quote: There are always more than two options in life, right? :)

My only opinion on this matter is that I think the voting could work better in terms of usability. It is quite annoying to end up at some other page, than the page with the release you're voting on, after you've clicked some vote-button or so. Then you have to go back again. This makes me, at least, avoid voting sometimes. (If this holds for other users as well, it might be a way to get more votes, if someone cares for that. :)

yeah, a youtubeish instant system could produce more votes.
2009-11-18 09:57
jailbird

A votesystem like this works well only with a fucking huge number of votes. Look at IMDb, a relatively fair score for a movie forms after several hundreds, if not thousands of votes. Even when scaled down to CSDb's user-base, most of the releases or people have 10 votes at most, if not less. How accurate is that? And Oswald, please tell me why is that better than nothing at all?

But heck, it could even stay as-is, I don't mind. And I understand that we can't totally dismiss up/downvoting. Yet in this case, encouraging people to vote, and vote more-or-less fairly is the only way to make it a little better.
2009-11-18 10:10
jailbird

@Oswald: talk about namecalling, what about votecrybabies, childish ubernerds? OK, let's say we're even.

But you tend to forget that the current votesystem is causing more problems than it helps. Believe it or not, people have consciousness and feelings. As an example, we have a common friend who takes the votes more seriously than life itself and causes him serious damages from time to time. Ring a bell? And for some reason, I believe he's not the only one. And the usual topics about the downvotes support me when I say that a bunch of people DO CARE about the votes. A lot of childish ubernerds here, right? :)
2009-11-18 10:21
Oswald

yes, I have to admit you DO have points here, but I simply dont see how some other system could remove these problems. People should grow up and see the voting system for what it is.
2009-11-18 10:29
jailbird

Bah. Everything will stay as-is anyway. I'm an idiot for bringing it up at all.

Fuck, there goes my whole morning \:D/
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | ... | 20 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
iAN CooG/HVSC
Firehawk/Hoaxers
CA$H/TRiAD
TheRyk/MYD!
www.gb64.com
bepp/ΤRIΛD