Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > New 8-bit TV-computer
2009-10-28 22:07
8bitforever
Account closed

New 8-bit TV-computer

A Commodore 64 competitor has arrived again. :-)

Has anyone some experience with the "Educational computer" or "8-bit TV-computer" or "Victor-70" or Famicom ?
All names above are names for the same computer.

It´s based on the 6502 processor.
It can play NES cartridges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjSLZ-x-GxM
http://www.itexaminer.com/12-indian-computers-tip-up-in-silicon..
http://www.makershed.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MKPP1
http://playpower.org

... 22 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-10-30 06:27
8bitforever
Account closed

I came to think of the C64 DTV. That was cheap and almost one chip. Hope it will go into production again.
2009-10-30 12:52
taper

I would love to see the C64DTV manifactured again, in an updated form with cartridge port and better SID emulation.

That said, it's way too late to try to outsell the Famicom clones. They have been manifactured in millions allready, and for many, many years.

But sure, if anyone wants to compete with the 10$ computer idea from Playpower, why not go for the C64DTV design as a competitor. Then again, I'm not too sure that Playpower's approach will work anyway.
2009-10-31 02:05
ne7
Account closed

i've had a couple of these clone famicom keyboards since about 1999/2000 they've always come with Basic (as that was available on the Famicom anyway at some point in the past) but never seem to have any way of saving anything so they are pretty darned useless for any dev work :)

one of the keyboards i had did come with a parallel port which i seem to remember i managed to hook up to a old crappy printer and got some text to print -once after a huge amount of effort- but that was about it :D

andy

ps a good tip when looking for these odd bits of kit is to look for 8bit game or 8bit compatible or 60pin game in the description of the unit you are looking at (ebay is a good one for finding loads of these :)

if you want a good laff check some of these fruity clones out: http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?SearchText=8%20BIT&IndexAre..
2009-10-31 03:15
ptoing

WTF? The NES is not a clone of the Famicon. They were both made by Nintendo.
2009-11-11 15:56
madcrow
Account closed

Famiclones/NESclones are all pretty much crap anyway. Despite the fact that the NES hardware has been unencumbered by patents for several years and is very well documented in the C source code of two or three different very accurate emulators, the Famiclone makers are STILL using the same inaccurate and crappy early 90s ASIC designs used by the first pirate Famiclones. Someone really needs to come up with a good open source NES in VHDL and maybe then somebody might use it to make a good Famiclone.
--------------------------------------
please have pity on the n00bish emu kiddie responsible for the post above.
2009-11-11 18:01
taper

Ptoing: Mne? Perhaps you should re-read the thread? Nobody is saying that Nintendo did not manifcature both the Famicom and the NES. Are you totally missing the point here?

Madcrow:These cloned chips are ofcourse still used because they are dirt cheap. Why on earth would the pirate manifacturers spend money on perfecting the chip, when it in fact can play more than 90% of all available Famicom/NES games (some with glitches yes, but why would they care?)?

Perfecting the chip would take time, time equals money and the cost of the clone would increase. And let's face it - the only reason those clones sell is that they are so damn cheap. A used NES from ebay is way more expensive than a clone.
2009-11-12 05:54
Stingray
Account closed

I bought a NES clone (meant to look like a PSone) while I was in Mauritius 2 years ago, I got the expensive version (The Spider Man Bundle with 1000 games!). It was 400 rupee (around $12). The thousand games were just the same 10 - 20 games repeated 100 times ha ha, and there was no Spider Man game. I remember the box stated something like Realistic Digital Graphics, Digital Stereo Sound & Worlds Most Powerful Console. Had fun with it though and the control pads have DB9 connections on them.

I remember Escom once talked about relaunching the C64 in developing countries.
2009-11-12 11:27
taper

Stingray: Hehe, I have saved some of the boxes for my Famicom clones, and while some are kinda honest displaying "8-bit System" and such, some others have the same super-giga-power claims as yours. :) And, pictures of PC or console games on the back, totally unrelated to what's in the box.

By the way, your clone joypads might have a db9 on them, but they will not work on a c64 anyway, as the Famicom/NES use a serial transfer protocol for joypads. I wouldn't try to plug them in, actually... the CIA/6526 might not like that... :)
2009-11-12 14:19
Stingray
Account closed

Taper: I grabed it out of the cupboard on took a couple photos :)

As for the control pads, yeh I never did try them in a C64, there pretty dodgy and the cables are only about half a meter long. I have a couple of Mega Drive controlers and I think im going to buy a couple of the 64JPX adaptors from Nicholas Coplin at 64hdd, has anybody else used these adaptors before?
2009-11-27 10:58
Stingray
Account closed

I got the 64JPX adaptors and a couple of NEW Sega Mega Drive controllers. Very, very happy with these adaptors. These adaptors also have special modes, should be good for Wizzball etc. The extra port on the side of the adaptor is so you can have a mouse connected at the same time as the controllers.

When I purchased the adaptors I asked Nick if they will work with some Wireless controllers that I already had, he wasn't sure. After being very pleased with the adaptors being used with the Mega Drive controllers I connected my Wireless Controllers, worked brilliantly, very very happy. Finally I have wireless controllers on my 64 :)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Matt
Grue/Extend
Endurion
Guests online: 72
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)