Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > will some 1 please tell me why
2004-03-08 21:32
Faith
Account closed

will some 1 please tell me why

we have in the last days votet some groups in top 5! just for fun .......... and the most funny about it is few minutes after some 1 votet it down with 1 point , it seems to be somebody like to bee on the top 5 , so please can we get publised votes in here so we can see who the rullers are there are the voting 1 point for groups in here .....

... 33 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2004-03-10 10:11
CreaMD

Perff agreed that I can use the transparent charts at c64.sk, so I will when the new system will be launched. (although I'm still stronglyu for dropping of anonymity completely.)
2004-03-10 10:18
Radar
Account closed

@Dark Judge
I believe that the people already vote like 'most liked' and that just a few vote for the skills. If a group/person is disliked, it has nothing to do with the skills at all. Your're right at that point...

@CreamD
So you start a kind of 'CSDB' on your own?
2004-03-10 10:43
CreaMD

Radar, we are coopearing together like partner sites. C64.sk links to CSDB and help(ed) to promote this project since it was launched. Links to forums, show latest CSDB forum posts, Scener Birthdays. I planned to show latest releases too, but I didn't implement the code yet.

So we keep doing what our sites are made for. C64.sk is a C64 news site and c64scene.net is a C64 scene database.
2004-03-10 12:06
Ter-o
Account closed

One thing that crossed my mind about voting system could be that how about every vote increases total amount of points? so even those "downvotes" would increase the total amount of that person's points. And charts would be generated only of those total amount of points (more points, more higher you rank). F.E. if you check out mermaid's total amount of votes 66 (almost double as much as sander(37) and jailbird(36), rest have even less votes) she would definately have the total amount of points that she deserves... and most probably go to #1 in charts, where she belongs.
Just a thought... my 2 cents for making this votingsystem more fair. (not forgetting 100% transparent votes)

Thanks for your interest
2004-03-10 12:41
TDJ

Quote: One thing that crossed my mind about voting system could be that how about every vote increases total amount of points? so even those "downvotes" would increase the total amount of that person's points. And charts would be generated only of those total amount of points (more points, more higher you rank). F.E. if you check out mermaid's total amount of votes 66 (almost double as much as sander(37) and jailbird(36), rest have even less votes) she would definately have the total amount of points that she deserves... and most probably go to #1 in charts, where she belongs.
Just a thought... my 2 cents for making this votingsystem more fair. (not forgetting 100% transparent votes)

Thanks for your interest

Interesting idea, but it won't work. The problem is that it's once again a matter of who's most known/liked that will be on top.

Lots of people know Mermaid, so will vote for Mermaid. Mermaid will be #1. Other people see her name in the charts and think: "I need to vote for her as well". Mermaid will stay #1.

Will another graphician (let's say, because I'm a bastard, Tecon) is not known by too many people so he will never gather enough votes to get into the top 10, hence he stays unknown and unvoted for.
2004-03-10 12:49
Ter-o
Account closed

Yeah that problem might occur. Tho, somehow this should be solved.. since the current voting system allows downvotes as for making harm to someone and also favors ppl with less votes.

Another idea that came my mind would be that the average value of votes should be somehow balanced to the amount of votes... f.e. those who have only 5 votes, would have lesser average value (somehow "weighed" of amount of votes) than those who have tens of votes.. I hope you catch my drift :)

But as it is now, I think it does not give the respect to those who deserves it :)
2004-03-10 12:57
TDJ

Quote: Yeah that problem might occur. Tho, somehow this should be solved.. since the current voting system allows downvotes as for making harm to someone and also favors ppl with less votes.

Another idea that came my mind would be that the average value of votes should be somehow balanced to the amount of votes... f.e. those who have only 5 votes, would have lesser average value (somehow "weighed" of amount of votes) than those who have tens of votes.. I hope you catch my drift :)

But as it is now, I think it does not give the respect to those who deserves it :)

Maybe I misunderstand, but do you really feel that somebody who gets more votes also automatically deserves more respect?

That would favor today's sceners over those from the golden age, because let's face it, they are better known.

Most people here probably don't know Compyx/Focus but he was one of the greatest logo-graphicians ever. Yet he hardly gets any votes.

Y'know, I think I'm gonna change that right now :)
2004-03-10 13:37
Nightlord
Account closed

@tdj:
i completely disagree with you on this. i do not think the voting system favors the new guys. in fact it favors the old guys. and i think this way it decreases the motivation for new people. for example in diskmags, the editors edit the charts so that no inactive people show up. if you were to remove those guys that haven't released anything for two years from charts the csdb charts would look very different (and more accurate). i mean take the coder charts for example. there are guys like quiss and tts in high ranks. competing with tts is like competing a ghost. no matter how good they were their inactivity should not be favored over people like hollowman or ninja or iopop who are the active players of the scene today. i know c64 scene itself is by definition related to nostalgia but those who keep the scene alive today should not be judged against people who haven't been around for a decade. we don't have bohemian rapsody in charts now do we?

maybe the best solution is to divide charts into all time and current. so that the all time best can remain to be recognized, while best of today get the ranks they deserve.
2004-03-10 13:43
TDJ

Quote: @tdj:
i completely disagree with you on this. i do not think the voting system favors the new guys. in fact it favors the old guys. and i think this way it decreases the motivation for new people. for example in diskmags, the editors edit the charts so that no inactive people show up. if you were to remove those guys that haven't released anything for two years from charts the csdb charts would look very different (and more accurate). i mean take the coder charts for example. there are guys like quiss and tts in high ranks. competing with tts is like competing a ghost. no matter how good they were their inactivity should not be favored over people like hollowman or ninja or iopop who are the active players of the scene today. i know c64 scene itself is by definition related to nostalgia but those who keep the scene alive today should not be judged against people who haven't been around for a decade. we don't have bohemian rapsody in charts now do we?

maybe the best solution is to divide charts into all time and current. so that the all time best can remain to be recognized, while best of today get the ranks they deserve.

Bullsh*t.

This is not a mag, so don't compare these charts with charts in the mags. CSDB is all about history (it's a database for god's sake!), so the charts should stay like they are right now: all-time charts.

Your example (Bohemian Rhapsody) is not in the top 40 but in most of the top 100 ever charts. As it should be.

If you want current charts load up arachnophobia or one of those other brilliant mags. You give me my Queen, and then you can keep your Britney Spears for yourself, so to speak :)
2004-03-10 13:54
Ter-o
Account closed

chill out guys :D I think this conversation started to take wrong direction... but.. what should I know, I'm a lamer, who started in c64 scene only 2 years ago... :P well how about a system (which was probably mentioned before) that everyone votes their top 5-10 of all-time in every genre.. takes more work but then it would make good to oldschool elites and talented newcomers too...

dunno... this definately is a difficult issue...
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
KAL_123
Alakran_64
Mr SQL
zzarko
Guests online: 126
Top Demos