Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > What does it take to arrange a good party?
2010-01-04 14:17
Archmage

What does it take to arrange a good party?

I just noticed that there will be no LCP this year. Instead of pestering people who need a deserved break to make me a party, I think it would be interesting to investigate what sort of workload it would take to arrange a small (40-50 people) C64/other 8-bit party myself. Mind you, this is just at the level of throwing ideas about.

So, you experienced party arrangers out there: what are the pitfalls and what does your checklist look like?

There is also one thing that might make this kind of hard to pull off, and that is the fact that I live in Oslo, Norway. So you Swedes, Danes and other EU citizens - hypothetically - if a party in the southern part of Norway seemed well arranged and cosy and not too expensive in itself - would you consider coming?

... 55 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-01-04 22:12
Soren

Deekay: InFocus Girls ? :-)
2010-01-04 22:34
A Life in Hell
Account closed

Quote: May I suggest the Epson EMP TW-1000 or -2000 for a projector? ;-)
I have tested its c64-awesomeness with several NUFLI pictures on a TW-1000 and since I was so amazed by it i actually went out and got myself a TW-2000, primarily because of the awesome c64 picture! ;-) The pixels are so crisp and the colors are so good, you'll only believe it if you've seen it yourself!
It has some magic gadgetry that makes scrollers super smooth, that occasionally mispinterprets a pixel here and there which looks like a bug when scrolling, but apart from that it's absolutely flawless! Weasel and Widdy can confirm this! ;-D

I second this recomendation - I use a TW2000H as my primary c64 display these days, and it's ninjasweet 50hz goodness*

* as long as you turn off progressive mode, otherwise it deinterlaces to 25hz,. lame!
2010-01-05 00:03
wacek

Quoting DeeKay
Argh DLP, my eyes hurt! ;-) Triple LCD is teh rawk!

Let's not start a senseless discussion, right? I mean DLP vs LCD, because it's been done to death ;) Given I am not a graphician, but I know what I see.

But saying that you need a FullHD machine like TW1000 to see 320x200 properly... that's just bull :)
2010-01-05 06:20
gregg
Account closed

Well, obviously LCoS is superior to LCD. :) Please don't get me started on DLP. After someone explained the rainbow effect to me, I started seeing it all the time on DLP projections.

On miniMO we used a Canon SX50 and it's IMO friggin' awesome. :)
2010-01-05 07:37
wacek

Quoting gregg
After someone explained the rainbow effect to me, I started seeing it all the time on DLP projections.

There's a power of suggestion for you :)

The one I have has 4x speed colorwheel and I have not seen a "rainbow effect" in my life, though I am eagerly waiting to see it for like 5 years now - LOL :)
2010-01-05 07:54
Stainless Steel

Quote:
If there will be a X10
WHAT DO YOU MEAN *IF* ????
2010-01-05 09:43
Radiant

IME (being involved in several unsuccessful endeavors), finding a venue is a big problem. Not being afraid of phoning around a lot probably helps, and get used to hearing "sorry, we don't allow overnight rentals" and "sure thing, that'll be <gazillion moneys> for a weekend rental".
2010-01-05 10:32
DeeKay

Quote: Quoting DeeKay
Argh DLP, my eyes hurt! ;-) Triple LCD is teh rawk!

Let's not start a senseless discussion, right? I mean DLP vs LCD, because it's been done to death ;) Given I am not a graphician, but I know what I see.

But saying that you need a FullHD machine like TW1000 to see 320x200 properly... that's just bull :)

Where exactly did I say that you NEED a FullHD machine? Fact of the matter is that the TW-x000 series hands down delivers the best c64 picture I have ever seen on any device. It's so crisp, you can clearly SEE the square (well - rectangular! 8) pixels, scrollers are almost perfect and colors, too. I do not know how it does this, if maybe there's simply less blending going on due to the high resolution, but I have seen other projectors (and devices in general) before and the picture quality most of the time leaved a lot to be desired. f.ex. with most projectors, you don't see hires pixels on black at all (Mekka and Breakpoint goers might f.ex. remember starfields, 3d-Plotters etc. not being visible at all on the bigscreen!), Another problem is that yellow/lt. green look pretty much white on most projectors. And then there's the problem with lines in Interlace pictures (which you also get when you digitize from a c64 with a DV converter!)

I also know that the guy with the TW-1000 (Dexter/Abyss btw) actually took his c64 and went to Mediamarkt and tried out various projectors to see which has the best picture with the c64. He originally wanted a 720p projector, but got the TW-1000 once he saw the picture, which simply no other projector could match...

And I have yet to see a DLP projector where I don't see rainbows when looking around in the picture! ;-) And believe me: My eyes have seen a LOT of flickering when making these SHIF/UIFLI/NUIFLI/MUIFLI pictures, hehe...
2010-01-05 16:23
wacek

Hmmm :)

First of all you need to calibrate any projector to display colors correctly. I never use anything, being it LCD TV or projector, on factory presets, since light conditions in any given room are different than the other, not to mention if you use it at different times of day :) Even if you use the simplest calibration from any THX DVD disc (Star Wars anyone?) you get much better result than the factory presets.

About the pixels, you mean white/l.grey ones on black screen, right? Believe me, I don't understand what you are writing, I do not have that problem either :))) and I watched intro to "Place In Space" by Taboo like 20 times :)

I'll try to make some pictures, both to show you square pixels, starfields, and some colors. Any suggestions on the interlace picture I could use to test the "lines" you're mentioning? (again a problem I am completely unaware of, tbh).

By the way, the C64 you mentioned... Was it old or new VIC?
2010-01-05 19:34
Malmix

One think I've learned from taking part in organizing a bunch of small parties (read GREP) is that once you've got the location, soundsystem, beamer compomachines etc set make sure you don't promise more than you can hold... It's easy to think that arranging some surprise compos, some demo shows, some bbq session etc doesn't take much time and effort but it sure does. :) Organizing a demo party should be fun and not just alot of work.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
REBEL 1
Hoogo/Padua
iAN CooG/HVSC
Freeze/Blazon
www.gb64.com
Guests online: 69