Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > New SID frontend released !!
2007-01-09 19:39
Madman

New SID frontend released !!

Hello fellow C64 freaks!

I just wanted to let you know that there is a new SID frontend available to the public now. It has features no other SID tool offers since today:

* Support Sidplay2/w for playback
* Support TinySID for playback
* Easy access to the entire High Voltage Sid Collection
* Easy single-click interface
* Songlength database support
* Continuous play to discover SIDs unknown to you
* Playlist support with ability to add certain subsongs
* Experimental sid2midi support (sid2midi.exe not included)
* Built in search function
* Build on .NET framework 2.0 (required)

Steppe from HVSC suggested i shall promote it here. So did i. Hope you like it.

http://sidtool.drool.de/

Regards,
Madman
2007-01-09 20:28
CyberBrain
Administrator

Nice, i like the playlist thing. What i miss is to have the STIL info and pictures displayed in the GUI (as in SidBrowser).
2007-01-09 21:10
Madman

I originally did the tool for my own purposes.
My mission was to listen to every SID tune in HVSC at least once.
The tool sure has a few bugs left (hence the beta version) but i am always open for suggestions :-)
I have a STIL function included, but its too slow to make use of it. I will try to make that faster for the next major release.

Any further suggestions ? Keep them coming.
2007-01-10 09:42
Madman

There you go. Version 0.7.5 now with STIL support :)
2007-01-10 17:49
Fanta

that .net framework thingy sucks. i don't have it installed and it seems like i need program x and y to install it. i gave it up, too much hassle. :-(
2007-01-10 22:01
Madman

Im sad to hear that. Usually you only need that 1 file. I added a link to the site.
You still on Win95 or something ? You are the first having problems installing .net
2007-01-10 22:04
iAN CooG

Quote: that .net framework thingy sucks. i don't have it installed and it seems like i need program x and y to install it. i gave it up, too much hassle. :-(

I quote Fanta about overall suckyness of the whole thing. Tested at work (no problem for me installing .NET 2.0 there)
and all I saw is a "different" front-end for Sidplay2/w which has even more song info (cltr-p for example). No point in having another UI for a program that already has one.
Deinstalled both sidtool and net2.0.
2007-01-11 08:44
Spinball

maybe you could add support for the vice commandline sidplayer. would be nice to use sidtool as gui for that one.
2007-01-11 09:11
Steppe

Man, that's really a great idea. I'd second that!
Ian Coog is kinda right, the Sidtool basically is a souped up frontend for Sidplay2/w, with presently not enough features to really stick out from the crowd of sidtools, i.e. it can't do much more than what other external programs already offer at this time (Sidbace, Sidbrowser, SidDB).

What I really like is the seamless songlength integration with the ability to just start continuous play in any directory (ah, let's see what this Fanta guy has to offer apart from his usual smash hits... ;-) ) and just let it doodle in the background.

The playlist feature is very intuitive to use, despite using a proprietary format.

Now with added search functionality (which, by all means, should be extended to search for AUTHOR or RELEASED field) and probably wider support of all kinds of players we're really getting somewhere. Keep it up, Madman!

I'm only asking for one thing: Don't make it too bloated and complex, adding things here and there, patchwork style (IIRC Sidbrowser heavily suffered from this). I really like the "lightweight" and cleaned up feeling of this program and would appreciate if it stayed like that. ;-)
2007-01-11 13:17
Madman

Its a frontend, as the topic stated. No more, no less :)
As with every software out there, some like it and some dont.
I dont like the sidplay2/w GUI for example. But anyway.

I will look into that Winvice thingy.

Oh and btw Steppe, the continuous Play also switches into the next directory on its own (if there is any)
So you could basically turn on continuous play and listen to the entire HVSC in one session. Unless you starve halfway through :)

Adding search for STIL info ? I have the STIL in RAM when needed since 0.7.5 but displaying the results in the way i do with search now could be difficulty. Will look into that too.
2007-01-11 18:22
Madman

Well the Winvice support works, only problem is, there is no option to start Winvice running the PSID tune with a certain subsong playing, so continuous play will not work with subtune support on winvice, also you may not be able to bookmark a subtune different then the default starting song.
Unless the workaround i have on my mind will work or there is another way telling winvice to play a SID (without using PSID) which i dont know about.

... 34 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
csabanw
bOOZElEE
theK/ATL
tempest/extend
TPM/Silicon Ltd
The Human Co../Maste..