Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Defilus ! (Registered 2024-10-04) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > >S"EVERYTHING",8,0000,FFFF
2008-11-12 03:11
SIDWAVE
Account closed

>S"EVERYTHING",8,0000,FFFF

I have a dream!

After we are all dead, and C64 scene is no more, the world
will loose the first notable digital art in the human history.

This cannot happen!

So, here's the idea of what to do about it:

Create a foundation, that recruits members itself.
Cultural people, art people, NOT sceners. (well some of us C64 must ofcourse help to make it happen, but we are not the ones to keep it going, after we are dead. The art community of the world is.)

The 'official' art world has museums, galleries etc.
What i propose is the same, just with the exception, that its all on the internet.

The foundation has these starting tasks to do:

Get an account in a datacenter
Copy CSDB + all files to that host,
including, TDD, HVSC, other ftp..
launch website mirror

The mirror website includes an overview of the different original sites. So make a pick, and go there.

The mirror websites can NOT be edited in any way, only browsed. This is made clear to the visitor when he enters them - and he is offered to click to go to the real CSDB (this one), the real TDD, the real HVSC etc.

This way everything is saved, and when we are all dead, the link to the real sites are removed. (when the original sites get no visitors anymore)

Where did i get this idea ?
hahaha!

The record companies and moviemakers have digital copies off everything they have done since the film camera was invented.

Back catalog movies+music, is today a growing business.
And we have the art museums, and exhibitions, and old crappy artworks are sold at auctions for millions of dollars.

So these things are likely to be preserved, even in 10000 years (if world doesnt end)

We cannot rely on the possibility, that maybe google or echelon is saving the whole internet. They will never dig into the websites saved, and promote them in any way. Only silly archaelogists will, if they even have any interest in this material.

So, let's create the same probability for ourselves, that our art is also preserved, forever.

The foundation is, on top of these things, left with the task to find a way to make it possible. Internet can generate money with commercials and other things, aswell as the established artworld gets money from funds and government. The foundation has the same possibilities as the rest, so ...

Now, you can write your input to this.

I prefer not to hear any "this cannot be done" or "why"'s

Write if you will participate in this, and have ideas.
if you do not, shut up and stay away, please!

I already have 1 serious person, who said i should get back to him, when i had written the plan down, and that is today :)

2008-11-12 03:19
SIDWAVE
Account closed

I know there is the whole issue, of how will people run C64 on a computer in 1000 years ?

We will look into this, later..

We just need to give the foundation a good base to start from, then they have to do the rest.
2008-11-12 03:46
SIDWAVE
Account closed

[04:17] <rambones> it has begun: >S"EVERYTHING",8,0000,FFFF
[04:34] <mue___> sounds a bit overkill
[04:43] <rambones> if you want to save it , then all is needed that i wrote. overkill is when you do something not necessary
[04:44] <shock__> hi archive.org
[04:44] <rambones> shock__: can we use archive.org and have www.commodorescene.org ?
[04:45] <rambones> shock, please if you know stuff, reply in the thread
[04:45] <shock__> no idea ...
[04:45] <shock__> but your approach is basically what archive.org does
[04:45] <rambones> this shoudl pe posted in the thread
[04:45] <rambones> i do
[04:45] <shock__> except that it doesn't grab most "big" files, but keeps revisions of the websites

[04:50] <shock__> another site to check would be textfiles.com ... which is a bit different i must add, but has taken the effort of archiving bbs related files ... mostly telephone numbers, memberlists, filelistings, etc. maybe that guy can help you out as well
[04:51] <rambones> they wont fit this, but maybe they can tell us how to get storage
2008-11-12 04:33
Ymgve

Not really sure about the "Cultural people, art people, NOT sceners" part. Unless there's money involved, it would be hard to get non-sceners to care as much as the sceners.

But if we want others to take over later, we should definitely create a nice, easy package that they can start with. So I suggest we do what we already are doing - gathering everything C64-related and converting it to modern formats.

Mirror sites are an interesting idea, though for stuff like CSDb I think it's better to have one site, backed by two different synced servers in two different locations.

Do TDD support rsync?
2008-11-12 07:08
cba

Sure my FTP site supports rsync, plenty of people are copying TDD this way.
2008-11-12 12:35
Mace

Why don't we just procreate and make sure the scene will stay alive forever!

I know some of us already have kids...
2008-11-12 13:25
Skate

I don't give a shit if the scene dies after I pass away. I'm a selfish motherfucker. :) But I'll do my best to make my 1.5 years old boy a scener. Not because I care about the future of the scene, because of selfish reasons again :D
2008-11-12 14:23
Testa
Account closed

have a little confidence in the future, be positive.. ofcourse it is good to exchange some thoughts about this, but personaly i think that there are too many people concerned in the c64 scene , lets say the avarage age of a scener is around 30 and they will continue their c64 activities for another 40 or 50 years , then i have confidence that the scene lives for another 40/50 years.

but you are right the c64 was and will always be the motherscene of all the computer scenes and that is a fact that should never be forgotten..

besides that when we are all in heaven there will be no more pain, suffering and also no more bugs.. everything is perfect than... i promise you guys now ,that all sceners are welcome at my cloud in heaven... he he... keep the faith!

these last words were ofcourse not intented to insult any believing sceners.... i really respect any faith as long as it not leads to violence..
2008-11-12 19:39
Danzig

rambones - still not sober after X *G*
2008-11-12 20:14
Inge

Quote: rambones - still not sober after X *G*

...not sober since BitLive in Stockholm :-p
2008-11-12 21:43
Burglar

rambones, so when are you going to set it all up? ;)

... 5 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Mr SQL
algorithm
Didi/Laxity
SplAtterpunk
Yogibear/Protovision
Jope/Extend