Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Just for curiosity
2009-10-26 19:47
grennouille

Just for curiosity

I wonder ... How do your families/friends consider your c64 love?

Personnaly I have 3 children and a girlfriend who see me like I'm an E.T. sometimes... My youngest son who is 5 years old sometime enjoys playing some of the 64 games but it don't take very long before he goes back to is Nintendo DS...

Sometimes, when a new flashy demo comes out here, I play it in Vice Full screen with speakers up and ask my girlfriend "Look ! Look ! Awesome what a 1mhz 64k computer can do! These coders are awesome! Don't you think? She replies : Of course.. Of course...

Do the people you love see you like an E.T. sometimes too?

Just curious and jobs boring so...
2009-10-26 19:59
Fredrik
Account closed

The children of today dont see the greatness about the Commodore 64.
And thats sad.
But perhaps it is too nostalgic for us. They just see it as a unmodern computer.
But the games WHERE better in those days (64-games)
Not in grafics, but all the other things.
2009-10-26 22:44
Steppe

Yeah, had a tough time "defending" that hobby against my wife. She used to ask me stuff like "honey, are these noises really music in your ears?" and I went like "WTF! %&&%$!! This is Jeroen Tel's Cybernoid, how can anybody on earth NOT recognize this as music!". It's debatable one has to like it or not, but hell, it's just minimalistic electronic music. If you've been into U2 style music all your life this can be hard to grasp...
Nowadays she halfway accepted it, just like you accept something you can't do anything about anyway. Like headache. Or herpes. Oh well, what can I do, at least she's accepted it meanwhile as a normal, yet odd kind of hobby that makes annoying noises. :-)
Most of my friends know that I've got "that old Commodore computer" set up permanently next to my PC. But unless they ask what it's about I just say "yeah, that's my C64. I'm using it now and then, having a spliffy, watching a demo, listening to the old music, stuff like that."

Life's hard being a Commodore geek. :-/
2009-10-26 23:31
grennouille

You bet!
2009-10-27 00:54
SIDWAVE
Account closed

All my friends are C64 owners too, and i have no wife, so all in all, its going nerdy here as since 1985 with no changes at all :D
2009-10-27 06:55
chatGPZ

20 years ago (wtf, i am old :/) i told my gf: 1st my friends 2nd my c64 3rd you - no problem ever since =P
2009-10-27 06:56
Frantic

Best thread so far! Also known as "How to be a nerd - and live with it!" :)
2009-10-27 07:22
chatGPZ

oh and - i dont have friends that aren't, or atleast were, c64 owners either (and most of them are, or were, sceners). what could they possibly be worth anyway? =P
2009-10-27 08:21
Frantic

@Groepaz: First I thought, regarding your previous post: "haha.. what a nerd". ...and then I realized that it is at least almost true for me too. :) At least if "friends" means people that you actually hang out with on a somewhat frequent basis.
2009-10-27 08:56
Ed

There is always one group of people telling me that the demos suck, that only a handful of the releases (generally more towards design, rather than code, dragons and stuff) look good. They are telling me basically that the C64 is not much cooler than their thrown away Nokia phone and that there is something oddly disturbing with people still using it.

This particular view have been very fruitful in deconstructing the scene and trying to interpret demos in another way (I wont say new or fresh, as this was what me and Joe did around early 2000s with Vandalism News and it is now nearly ten years later.) The same people saying this often don't find it strange buying the latest Disney movie or Sony Ericsson telephone with lots and lots of farting melodies and bleepy themes. There are exceptions to the rule of course.

Then there is always the other group of people that actually can see creativity for what it is and that there are some attributing values that keeps us here, with some more or less successful output. They take admire in the hard work we do such as for instance the struggle of making small effects on our platform which would have been far easier to produce in web-based environments. Nerdy or not.

Personally I use different computers every day, the one in the cell-phone, the one working while I write this, the one handling my money over the counter, etc. The whole notion of love of one single machine is perhaps a little bit simplifying the matter, just as it is pretty obvious there will be no simple answer to such a question you put, grennouille.

But no, I don't think I share your E.T Experience nowadays, but if you had asked me some 20 years ago, I would have said yes. :)
2009-10-27 09:12
chatGPZ

Quote:
At least if "friends" means people that you actually hang out with on a somewhat frequent basis.

ofcourse. i also have a very strict/narrow idea of who qualifies as "friend", and few people actually do that. (in psychology they say that if you think you have 20 or more friends, then you probably have none at all)

... 24 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Endurion
Matt
Guests online: 67
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)
2 13:37  (9.7)