Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Votesystem FAIL
2009-11-18 06:54
jailbird

Votesystem FAIL

OK, so why the vote system still exists, especially after all the devastating things it produces, is absolutely way beyond me.
It's rarely a representation of an objective, summarized opinion of the community. Either it's a playground for immature ding-dong fights I've had the luck to experience the last time in kindergarten, or it's simply a place for good old fashioned circlejerks.

I second Scout. At least I second the notion that this isn't really a place where I'd like to spend my spare time.

The constant pop-ups of topics considering the defecting vote-system is clearly a sign of something not working here the way it should. And yet, the cry ups keep getting ignored. For years.

Captain obvious is here to present you two options. One is to finally fix it, the other is to remove it for good. The latter one would be probably the best for all of us. And I think I'm speaking in the name of 99% of CSDb users here when I say that. Time to realize we are not IMDb with hundreds of millions of users, where a similar voting model works (more or less). Here, it's flawed and it simply fails on many, many levels

Pretty pretty please. Dudes who make and administer this site. Your work is fucking damn appreciated. I'd suck of all of you without a single second of consideration.

But for fucks sake.
2009-11-18 07:07
Radiant

I like voting.

/Mr. 1%
2009-11-18 07:26
jailbird

Quote: I like voting.

/Mr. 1%

Noted. I like voting too, at the moment I'm even up on the top voters chart with ~800 votes. I'm not against voting in general. Yet the thing is, most of you would have to vote as much as I do and even more in order to direct the votesystem in a better direction.
But, it's not the case. Some of the users don't vote at all, some of us use it for plain asslicking, whilst others use it for personal vendettas, and what not.

So simply put, the system is still totally fucked up and basically worthless, whether we vote or not.
2009-11-18 08:35
Skate

wrong! think about the politics. voting is never fair. asslicking and down voting (giving your vote to any party but one) is typical behaviour. remember the good old magazine charts. were they different? no. personally I used to have some favorite coders/graphicians/musicians and whatever other sceners do, I've always given my votes to the same people even if they don't deserve for that moment. It was wrong and I can see that now. But I did it. Many others did it. Some people still vote unfairly. But that's life, learn to live with it.

and yes, I understood your point. but it cannot be fixed and removing the voting system is not a solution either.
2009-11-18 08:44
JackAsser

May I suggest an option to hide the charts, vote points and the option to vote per user. Thus Jailbird and the other 99% can simply hide it. Easy as that. If not you, the makers of this site, can do that, then I'm sure a custom CSDB Greasemonkey script can do the job just as well.

To summarize, add an option per user: "[x] I will not participate in the voting system". When that box is checked, simply disable all the votes from that user in the count up.

2009-11-18 08:57
jailbird

The problem is, I'd like to participate in the voting, but in its current state I don't feel the urge any more. Hey, I don't want to hide the charts by default, I'd rather like to see a healthier system.

How to improve it? For starters, remove the silly option for anonymous votes. Then, we could move further.
2009-11-18 09:06
Oswald

<Post edited by moderator on 19/11-2009 21:54>

"It's rarely a representation of an objective, summarized opinion of the community."

opinion is never objective. ppl who can not accept this AND other people's opinions belong to the kindergarten indeed.

GROW UP all of you votecrybabies. It's time learn to handle negative critics, and downvoting. The problem is with you and not with the system.

"The constant pop-ups of topics considering the defecting vote-system is clearly a sign of something not working here the way it should"

its the sign of childish ubernerds not being able to deal with the real world and its opinion as it is.

"One is to finally fix it"

there. I fixed it for ya.
2009-11-18 09:06
JackAsser

Quote: The problem is, I'd like to participate in the voting, but in its current state I don't feel the urge any more. Hey, I don't want to hide the charts by default, I'd rather like to see a healthier system.

How to improve it? For starters, remove the silly option for anonymous votes. Then, we could move further.

No the problem is, as you said yourself, CSDb is not IMDb. Anonymous voting or not. So, you will never get the voting system you like. The best thing you can do is to start preaching about CSDb and C64 demos around the world to get users to the site. Then when the user base is 100-fold bigger we might see a voting system that actually works.

But sure, non anonymous voting would perhaps remove the kindergarten-feeling in the voting system. I agree to that. But the votes will never show any form of objective result.
2009-11-18 09:16
enthusi

Ah, this time of the year again? :)
I vote for:
Each CSDb-scener has alist of 5 (or 10) all-time-fav demos/gfx/crack/tools (or just releases).
Those are public :) [though that is not necessary for this system]
The Top 10 of each category is generated daily based on the overall number a release appears in one of those lists.
So if 100 people have DeuxExMachine in their top5 this is better than a demo that only 90 people consider their personal top5.
This will give weight to old releases as well and nothing will/can be downvoted...
I see no point in differing between VERY bad and VERY VERY bad like it is now...
We need a BESTOF and that's all...
Downvoting will then be equal to NOT having a demo in his/her own list ;-)
Now go and advertise this idea as I post it every time there is this topic boiling up...
2009-11-18 09:18
Oswald

that would be nice to have, but keep the old system too :)

this reminds me to the adoption idea of the top of the month from pouet, which would be really really very very nice please with sugar on the top, Perff :)

..and tags please :)

... 187 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | ... | 20 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
cba
Flavioweb/🇮🇹HF..
sachy
kbs/Pht/Lxt
grasstust/Hoaxers
Swallow/Censor Design