Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > What does it take to arrange a good party?
2010-01-04 14:17
Archmage

What does it take to arrange a good party?

I just noticed that there will be no LCP this year. Instead of pestering people who need a deserved break to make me a party, I think it would be interesting to investigate what sort of workload it would take to arrange a small (40-50 people) C64/other 8-bit party myself. Mind you, this is just at the level of throwing ideas about.

So, you experienced party arrangers out there: what are the pitfalls and what does your checklist look like?

There is also one thing that might make this kind of hard to pull off, and that is the fact that I live in Oslo, Norway. So you Swedes, Danes and other EU citizens - hypothetically - if a party in the southern part of Norway seemed well arranged and cosy and not too expensive in itself - would you consider coming?
2010-01-04 14:31
PAL

Hello!

In the past I arranged a party for my amiga group Razor 1911... It should not be that hard if one planned well and got a cool place to arrange it. AND GET PEOPLE TO CLEAN UP AFTER THE PARTY IS ALL DONE!

What if we got together and we could arrange a party together? We in Offence would love to throw a small party for real demo creators.

Maybe more to the summer, with a big barbeque and all?

PAL
2010-01-04 14:36
Archmage

Quoting PAL
What if we got together and we could arrange a party together? We in Offence would love to throw a small party for real demo creators.

It would make it very much easier if it is a joint effort. :) And summer is the best time in order to stear clear of other parties. If X2010 happens, that would be October-November, right?
2010-01-04 14:51
chatGPZ

for a small party like this (i consider everything with less than around 200 visitors "small") the biggest concern for you is:
- location ... find one that is cheap and that you can use 3 days in a row. (better 4 days, so you have some more time for buildup and cleanup)
- organising team ... you want atleast 10 people that help you with buildup, cleanup, entrance etc. you probably want another 10 people that help with less "involved" things (entrance) during the party.

everything else shouldnt be much of a problem, some kind of sound system, a projector, beer, tables etc... that can be arranged fairly easily in such small amounts

as for the pitfalls: make sure to save some money in advance. it should be enough to cover all expenses in the worst case scenario (everything has been arranged in time, everything must be paid, no visitors arrive, and then the location burns down). you should expect to loose 1000eu or so in such a case. get informed about insurance and related regulations (fire regulations most importantly) for the same reasons. it might be reasonable to get additional fire-insurance (for larger parties its a must)
2010-01-04 15:08
Frantic

Just to let everybody know, LCP will be back again next year. 2010 is a temporary break for me/LCP.

It would be hard to say how much work it is, since it may differ from party place to party place (would you need to rent tables/chairs/soundsystem etc or is that available at the party place?), and it is obviously more work to arrange a party the first time than the 99th time. That being said, I think the main determinant is the level of ambition. If you aim for gathering a bunch of people somewhere where there is already tables/chairs and you are able to borrow a big screen beamer from your work, or so, then it doesn't necessarily require that much work, especially if you can live with the possibility that only 20 ppl might actually show up even if there was 40-50 at some sort of list of signed up peoples.

A tip is to find a place where it doesn't matter that much if people hang around outside, being drunk and screaming, but which still isn't that hard to get to even if you don't come by car.

Let me know if you have more specific questions.
2010-01-04 15:29
cba

I think the location is very important, also good shower and sleeping facilities for a party that takes 3 days would be needed.

If there will be a X10 than it will be most likely around October or November.

2010-01-04 16:00
chatGPZ

Quote:
also good shower and sleeping facilities for a party that takes 3 days would be needed.

pussies :) infact i would put both of these very low on the "needed" list. most parties i have visited (and most of which i have helped with organising) worked out quite well without any of that old-men stuff :)
2010-01-04 18:06
JackAsser

Simply just think of what you would want on a party, personally I want the following, in priority:

1. Good party location with proper tables and chairs. Party friendly with no interrupting neighbourgs and preferably some store or other food facility near by.

2. A well organized compo. Don't repeat our mistake by having the music compo too late thus delaying the demo compo far into the night. (Same mistake as the X-organisers actually).

3. Friendly organizers that arn't too stressed.

4. Sleeping areas.

Also some general tips:

* Put plastic bags everywhere for people to throw stuff. Especially where the party is (usually outside close to the entrance).

* Take charge for the entrance fee asap, you will forget it otherwise.

* Make sure not to loose any demo entries. Use a text editor to write all the details for every submitted entry to avoid confusion the day after when u're sober.

* Take it easy when it comes to managing and don't be afraid of asking people for help. We're all adults and only a very few actually puke or destroy sometihng. Most of us are quite nice and helpful, make use of that.
2010-01-04 18:16
Yazoo

Quote: I think the location is very important, also good shower and sleeping facilities for a party that takes 3 days would be needed.

If there will be a X10 than it will be most likely around October or November.

yo... i think 2 days ago burglar said on irc that there will not be an X'2010... that pretty much scared me
2010-01-04 19:04
Burglar

well, imho, its too short notice by now, we havent done anything yet...

but we should discuss things internally first.
2010-01-04 19:49
wacek

Quote: I just noticed that there will be no LCP this year. Instead of pestering people who need a deserved break to make me a party, I think it would be interesting to investigate what sort of workload it would take to arrange a small (40-50 people) C64/other 8-bit party myself. Mind you, this is just at the level of throwing ideas about.

So, you experienced party arrangers out there: what are the pitfalls and what does your checklist look like?

There is also one thing that might make this kind of hard to pull off, and that is the fact that I live in Oslo, Norway. So you Swedes, Danes and other EU citizens - hypothetically - if a party in the southern part of Norway seemed well arranged and cosy and not too expensive in itself - would you consider coming?

Nothing can screw up a great party like a messed up big screen or beamer. Make sure colours are displayed correctly, use quality connections like s-video etc. (where are you Carrion?) ;) Same for sound system. For me that's one technicality that in most cases gets forgotten / low-prioritized.

With cheap airlines / fares availabl Oslo seems considerable from PL perspective ;)

... 55 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Operator Teleksu
encore
Raf/Vulture Design
Grue/Extend
JackAsser/Booze Design
iAN CooG/HVSC