Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > CSDb - Quantify me - did you know...
2011-06-01 22:22
Mr. Mouse

CSDb - Quantify me - did you know...

...that only the proportion of sceners from Norway, Denmark, Sweden and The Netherlands that were younger than the median estimated age of 17 for first credit listed at CSDb was significantly larger than the proportion older than or equal to the median? (alpha 0.05, z-test, Bonferroni corrected).

In other words, sceners coming from Norway, Sweden, Denmark and The Netherlands were overall younger than 17 at the time the product that was entered in CSDB was actually released. Thus, the majority of sceners coming from those countries were younger than 17 when they first entered the scene and got their first credit, according to CSDb.
2011-06-01 22:52
Mr. Mouse

...that sceners coming from Turkey, UK, Germany, Australia and the US were overall statistically significantly older than 16 (17 or higher) when they got their first credit in the scene according to CSDb?
2011-06-02 00:13
Skate

@Mr.Mouse: As a scener from Turkey, I'd like to remind you CSDB database doesn't have it all. My first scene product in CSDB is dated 1996 (when I was 16) but check this out (site is in Turkish):

http://www.akaydin.com/zamazingo/

This site includes a few of my earlier works. Some of them are released but not widely spreaded. So, I think your research shows either scener from Norway, Sweden, Denmark and The Netherlands were started releasing proper stuff earlier or they were more shameless than us and uploaded all their trash here. ;)
2011-06-02 00:45
TWW

Pfft..

Everyone knows the Vikings where the first...
2011-06-02 04:31
Oswald

Quote: ...that only the proportion of sceners from Norway, Denmark, Sweden and The Netherlands that were younger than the median estimated age of 17 for first credit listed at CSDb was significantly larger than the proportion older than or equal to the median? (alpha 0.05, z-test, Bonferroni corrected).

In other words, sceners coming from Norway, Sweden, Denmark and The Netherlands were overall younger than 17 at the time the product that was entered in CSDB was actually released. Thus, the majority of sceners coming from those countries were younger than 17 when they first entered the scene and got their first credit, according to CSDb.

2011-06-02 08:28
Mr. Mouse

Quote: @Mr.Mouse: As a scener from Turkey, I'd like to remind you CSDB database doesn't have it all. My first scene product in CSDB is dated 1996 (when I was 16) but check this out (site is in Turkish):

http://www.akaydin.com/zamazingo/

This site includes a few of my earlier works. Some of them are released but not widely spreaded. So, I think your research shows either scener from Norway, Sweden, Denmark and The Netherlands were started releasing proper stuff earlier or they were more shameless than us and uploaded all their trash here. ;)

You don't have to remind me of anything. I'm just stating the facts as they are in CSDb now. I'm not saying that is 100% representative of the 'scene' as it was. Why not help increase the accuracy of the database by releasing your 'trash' here as well, as you put it (don't be shamed, we all released crappy stuff). If not, please don't complain about the data. ;-)
2011-06-02 08:35
chatGPZ

for curiosity, whats the relation of sceners who actually have a valid date of birth and those who have not? somehow i think that most have not, meaning these numbers are quite... random =P
2011-06-02 08:43
Mr. Mouse

Indeed. There are only valid numbers for A. those that have any release at all, plus B. that have a valid birth year. That is only around 2200 sceners. There are ~17000 listed, so go figure In addition, approx 5000 have no release credited at all, and one wonders what the hell they are doing in this database anyway.
But, it is good that these numbers are random as you put it. Because that makes it possible to calculate a representative number, see? And luckily the numbers are large enough to do that. Statistics dictate you need sufficient numbers, and CSDb has those.
2011-06-02 09:17
Skate

- I'd like to remind you...
- You don't have to remind me of anything

EOF
2011-06-02 09:45
chatGPZ

Quote:
There are only valid numbers for A. those that have any release at all, plus B. that have a valid birth year. That is only around 2200 sceners. There are ~17000 listed, so go figure

i see... ~12% or so then... you should tell that kind of stuff from the start :) it'd be interesting to see how many of these birth dates were entered by the persons in question themselves (as others often guessed them from what they read in scrolltexts, mags etc)

Quote:
In addition, approx 5000 have no release credited at all, and one wonders what the hell they are doing in this database anyway.

hehe =P
2011-06-02 15:14
Jon
Account closed

Quoting Mr. Mouse
In addition, approx 5000 have no release credited at all, and one wonders what the hell they are doing in this database anyway.

My bet is that they are part of a release group, but have no releases specifically for their own name.

For example, take Jimmy Z-- A very prominent scener, but he was just a sysop (as far as the CSDb is concerned, anyway)

Jimmy Z!

Some groups had members who paid for their membership (Hellstar/FBR) and others had members whose sole task was to provide LD codes for the group and otherwise did nothing. Others were let in a group because they were RL friends or because they were "cool" on a BBS but otherwise contributed nothing to the group or the scene as a whole.

But that's a subject for some other day. I am really interested in your numbers. Do you have the data available anywhere?

NjB

... 4 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Didi/Laxity
Scrap/Genesis Project
cba
rexbeng
Britelite/Dekadence
Board Rider/Commodor..